Summit X is HERE! Official brochure from MartinLogan

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Truth be told I'm actually more 'jazzed' about hearing the new "X" than the CLS's .....go figure !

Dave,

You must be putting a lot of Kahlua in your coffee for your snow mobile rides! :D:devil:

If you hear a CLX in a big room with quality electronics, it is way beyond any other Logan - I mean you cannot even compare it to anything else.

Seriously, though, I hope when you demo it, it is a comfortable environment so you can relax, play your own music and feel the magic. I look forward to your impressions.

Entitled? Are you kidding? Not only are they entitled, they are darn near REQUIRED to continuously upgrade their products if they want to stay in business.
And would we want to buy products from a company that did not continuously upgrade their products, assuming of course that they did stay in business?

twich54 said:
Truth be told I'm actually more 'jazzed' about hearing the new "X" than the CLS's .....go figure !

Dave,

You must be putting a lot of Kahlua in your coffee for your snow mobile rides! :D:devil:
I think that the cold during those snowmobile rides has slowed Dave's thinking - he said "CLS's" instead of "CLX's"! :D

If you hear a CLX in a big room with quality electronics, it is way beyond any other Logan - I mean you cannot even compare it to anything else.

You are right, you can't compare it to anything else. It's the best performing tweeter/midrange unit ML makes, however it isn't a full range speaker, so it can't be compared to anything else. I listened to the CLXs without subs and thought they sounded hollow. It was different for sure and better in some ways...whether I would call them way beyond is another story. I left with a huge sigh of relief that the CLX didn't sound "way beyond" my Summits so I wouldn't be compelled to move up.

Last edited:
I think that the cold during those snowmobile rides has slowed Dave's thinking - he said "CLS's" instead of "CLX's"! :D
Its his subconscious coming out of the closet. He cant hide it any more!
Ths CLS will do that to you. After 25 years they still can cause a man to have delusions of Grandeur! Its OK Dave I have the Cure !:ROFL:

Entitled? Are you kidding? Not only are they entitled, they are darn near REQUIRED to continuously upgrade their products if they want to stay in business. Do any of us "have" to upgrade? Of course not. You can listen to your Summits in perfect bliss and harmony for the next twenty years, and ML will be quite happy for you.

Then again, you could argue they are so far ahead of anything else they don't need to bother... and that the new models come because they are essential. Newest and latest is always best, and a new model always helps the sales figures and keeps the Hi-Fi press's attention on your product.

Might be a loose argument, though. After all, if they didn't, we wouldn't have the CLX.

Last edited:
You are right, you can't compare it to anything else. It's the best performing tweeter/midrange unit ML makes, however it isn't a full range speaker, so it can't be compared to anything else. I listened to the CLXs without subs and thought they sounded hollow. It was different for sure and better in some ways...whether I would call them way beyond is another story. I left with a huge sigh of relief that the CLX didn't sound "way beyond" my Summits so I wouldn't be compelled to move up.

Hm... I think they are way beyond the Summits too... what gear did you have hooked up in the demo? How big was the room? If you have posted telling us already I must have missed it, or at least I can't remember at the moment...

Last edited:
Hm... I think they are way beyond the Summits too... what gear did you have hooked up in the demo? How big was the room? If you have posted telling us already I must have missed it, or at least I can't remember at the moment...

My post goes back a few months. I'll find it and link it. In short: gear was all Krell SS Monoblocks and SS Preamp, source was Meridian 808.2. All gear and spekers had been playing together for over three weeks so was "run-in" already.

Room was acoustically treated 30x20 with a 12' celing height and the speakers were supposidly set up by the ML rep for an "event".

The dealer was the same one that I heard my Summits at for the first time, however they had relocated to a new facility.

Overall I felt that the CLX was bright and edgy for my taste. The midrange was very clear and detailed to the point of being analytical. So, if your preference is for a brighter more analytical speaker you might think the CLX is way beyond the Summit. But you would probably think the same of a B&W 803D vs a Summit.

I prefer the warmer, darker presentation of a speaker like the Summit.

Last edited:
FYI, not that you can hear them and begin to put some of these arguments to rest but the Summit X is now available on the Custom Shop.

Back