Chicago Shooutout: ML Summits vs Sanders 10b

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Burke,

I can't do Saturdays, but any Sunday will work, including this Sunday - if the speakers arrive. What's the latest on the tracking #?

Also, can you please find out from Roger how these speakers are different than his Innersound designs, Kaya and Eros?

Thanks

Hey guys, David was kind enough to give me a heads up on this Chicago gathering. I am located just west of Cleveland, OH so it would be about a 5 or 6 hour drive for me depending on where Burke is located around Chicago. I would definitely consider making the drive and potentially hauling my Krell gear as well so I can add some value. I am not sure I want to pack up my CLX's and would rather plan a gathering at my place for that.

For you current dates I may have some difficulty due to business travel but I will continue to track this thread and see what shakes out.

I am not sure how these things work so let me know what is expected. These seem like a great idea to hear other systems and components. Plus I get to meet some of the great resources in this forum.

I am not sure how these things work so let me know what is expected. These seem like a great idea to hear other systems and components. Plus I get to meet some of the great resources in this forum.

Things are generally very casual. We just meet up and play tunes for hours. Usually food gets involved at some point. You are correct in that the best part is to meet the people on the fine forum.

Hope you can make it over.

Two Dates

Since we seem to have a Saturday and Sunday crowd.

Let's do Saturday Jan 31. AND Sunday Feb 8th.

Invitation is open to everyone. Chicago is not a requirement.:D

Even if you do not care to hear the Sanders, I would encourage everyone to drop by Burke's house during his "open house" to hear the Summits in his room (see the thread in the Room Acoustics section of the site). It is absolutely phenomenal.

We had a listening session yesterday at his house, and it was the best session I have ever had. All I can say is: very few know what our systems are capable of.

Even if you do not care to hear the Sanders, I would encourage everyone to drop by Burke's house during his "open house" to hear the Summits in his room (see the thread in the Room Acoustics section of the site). It is absolutely phenomenal.

We had a listening session yesterday at his house, and it was the best session I have ever had. All I can say is: very few know what our systems are capable of.

Alright, Dave now you got my curiosity peaked.

Burke,
Pencil me in for the 8th.
What should I bring?
Beer, Weed, or Magic Dots?? :rolleyes:

Burke,

Count me in for the 8th as well. Let me know if this is OK.

Thanks

Cherian

Burke, thanks for the invitation. Please put me down for Sunday the 8th. Let me know if I can bring anything.

Also, can you please find out from Roger how these speakers are different than his Innersound designs, Kaya and Eros?

This is based on direct communication with Roger so it should be accurate.

The 10b's are like the Eros MK III's. Both share the Ultrastat panel design. The transmission line bass module is like earlier version Eros speakers. However, the 10b woofer has more excursion and power handling ability so it will play louder with lower distortion than the previous Eros woofer. He tells me the sound quality of the 10b’s/MK III’s is near identical at moderate volume levels. The 10b's are modular in construction so they can be easily disassembled and shipped.

The Ultrastat panels are of composite construction and declared arc proof. They have long slots in the panes instead of holes in powder coated metal stators, like those found in the older Eros/Eros MK II. The 10b’s panels are a little wider and shorter and have more slotted area. The slots improved the efficiency of the panels so they play louder with less power and sound cleaner and clearer to me (compared to the earlier Eros with metal stators).

Like the Eros MK II and up, the 10b’s will include a 600WPC @ 4 Ohm remote controlled active crossover bass amp. I spoke with him last year before he finalized the design, so I am not sure if the crossover specs are changed form the Eros MK II. I am not sure if the Sanders bass amp will have the larger Toridal transformer found in his Sanders ESL amp. The internal space available in the amp depends on the size of the crossover components.

The Kaya had a larger panel with a slightly different bass module. I never asked if he was forced into that design by the then major shareholder of InnerSound, but do recall him telling me there were some issues from the wings on the side that extended past the panel (resonance or cancellation, can't recall exactly). He said the Eros bass module actually measured better than the Kaya, but doubt one could hear the difference. The crossover specs were slightly different due to the larger panels.

Oh, and just the other day, he informed me that he will offer a 10c model speaker with digital crossovers. They will have the ability to produce steeper slopes (48 dB/octave) and allow one to chose the filter type, crossover frequency, equalization, and phase alignment. No amp will be included with the 10c's.

Last edited:
The Sanders Speakers have arrived

I received the Sanders 10b speakers yesterday. Spent the evening putting them together, and I just got to listen to them this morning. Much postioning and tuning to do but they are definately a "contender" and up to the challenge of taking on the Summits.

I took plently of pictures last night assembling the 10b's, but while trying to upload them my computer 'blue screened' and I have not been able to boot it back up since.

but while trying to upload them my computer 'blue screened' and I have not been able to boot it back up since.

Burke, I'm not much of a computer guy....is that similar to 'Blue Balls' ??

sounds painfull if it is !

Back in business

Computer is back working so here are the pictures of the Sanders Sound Systems 10b.

Boxes

This is what it looks like when UPS delivers your speakers. They arrive in 5 boxes. Two bass cabinets, the long steel uprights and trim pieces, the panels and grills, and the crossover amplifier.

Attachments

• IMG_4194-01.jpg
    IMG_4194-01.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 643
Bass Cabinet

Well packaged bass cabinet.

Attachments

• IMG_4196-01.jpg
    IMG_4196-01.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 634
This is one speaker ready to assemble

Attachments