The Room with in a Room Project

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Burke, what is the glorious looking 'white stuff' outside your window ??? would you be so kind and send some of it to Pa !!!!

Come and get all you want. I spend 2 hours today cleaning driveways and sidewalks. More expected tonight.

Burke, what is the glorious looking 'white stuff' outside your window ??? would you be so kind and send some of it to Pa !!!!
Dave, you're sick, man, sick, sick, sick. Move to Ottawa and you'll get sick of it soon enough !

Are you concerned about making your room too dead?

Burke,

How is the construction coming along? How about some more pictures?

Are you concerned you room may be too dead and kill all dynamics?

Update

Nothing on this project has ever gone according to schedule and it did not start this week. Snow and cold (-12 F, high for the day) hampered construction. Last weekend and the first part of the week was spent cleaning up from all of the previous media room projects. Many holes in the floor and walls to patch. Then the carpet had to be removed (at least around the edges) too cold to pull it all up. Next the heating registers had to be moved. I waited till it was -20 too cut 4" x 10" holes in my floor (over an unheated space). Finally Friday and Saturday have shown the start of construction. First I laid out the metal tracking for the new walls at first I had it 2.5" from the current wall. Then after it was all test fit, I decided on 3.5" and had to reposition everything and fasten it to the floor. Now to put up some temp steel stud and the upper track. Normally this is just fastened to the ceiling but that would be too easy. As well at the ceiling is 8.5' and I have 8' studs. After building some combination spacers and wall anchors the top track was up now time to start in the corner and start filling in the panels.

Picture for Dave

Dave this one is for you about 2 feet of the white stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_4157-01.jpg
    IMG_4157-01.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 224
Floor track laid into corner, measure carefully (especially the angles) I had to do this one twice. (built it up to the upper track before I realized the angle was seriously out.

Attachments

• IMG_4163-01.jpg
    IMG_4163-01.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 225
The corner bass traps

While build the corners I realized that I had room behind the corner for a 2' x 8' panel. So I built two new 2x8 foot panels of 2" thick Rockboard 60. And placed these in the corner behind the new wall, This will give me a 6" thick corner bass trap. The contstruction is 2" Rockboard 60, 2" Mineral wool, about a 1.5" space, then 2" Rockboard and open space to corner.

Attachments

• IMG_4165-01.jpg
    IMG_4165-01.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_4168-01.jpg
    IMG_4168-01.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_4162-01.jpg
    IMG_4162-01.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 226
Current state is I have two corners, and two more 2' panels done. The gap is 34 " and I have run out of black burlap. Things are starting to move a little bit faster now. 2' panels are easy to build and install. The electrical will pose a bit of a problem and I have yet to figure out the panels that will be use to mount the Script i's.

Attachments

• IMG_4170-01.jpg
    IMG_4170-01.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 228
Moving right along

Today saw most of the wall up. And end of the burgandy burlap. I did find just enough of a left over roll of black to finish up the front wall, and now the majority of the sides are done as well. All that is left for the upcoming week is to build the panels that will hold the Script i's for the surround channels. Install the lighting and electronics. I should be listening to at least two channel before tomorrow is out. And I need a night of quality tunes.

Attachments

• IMG_4184-01.jpg
    IMG_4184-01.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 204
Front wall finished

The front wall is finally done.

Attachments

• IMG_4171-01.jpg
    IMG_4171-01.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 206
Roxul Rockboard 60 2 inch. from ATS Acoustics. This is what I am using to build the panels. 24" x 48" x 2". Very similar to OC 705 except half the cost. and a little messy to work with. Long sleeves and gloves are not an option here.

Attachments

• IMG_4175-01.jpg
    IMG_4175-01.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_4176-01.jpg
    IMG_4176-01.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 251
How to build the panels

I use two sheets of Rockboard 60 in each panel that yields a 4" thick panel. but I am using 3.5" studs that have a C shape to them. So I cut a rabbet in the back panel so that it fits. the L shaped board is a cutting guide. I use one of the kitchen knives to cut the Rockboard. Yes this will destroy the edge on a good knife (I use a Shun 6" Santoko), so if you can not easily resharpen your knives don't use them. I had to resharpen in the middle just to keep cutting the panels.

Attachments

• IMG_4174-01.jpg
    IMG_4174-01.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_4177-01.jpg
    IMG_4177-01.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_4178-01.jpg
    IMG_4178-01.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
Wrap panels in burlap

Wrap the panels in burlap (of cloth of your choice) ATS has burlap in many colors and GIK sells Guilford of Maine FR701 in 48 different colors.

Attachments

• IMG_4179-01.jpg
    IMG_4179-01.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_4180-01.jpg
    IMG_4180-01.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_4181-01.jpg
    IMG_4181-01.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 256
Night of Listening

All of the walls (save the bi-fold door) are up. Installed the Summits and the Scripts. Then sat back for a night of tweaking Summit placement and sweet listening.

The sound is much better than it was. (and it was pretty d*** good before). Two changes that help this. One the room, Two Summit placement. I have adjusted the rake to almost vertical. Old setup used Jason's spikes to increase the rake angle but I increased it some more. Closer to back wall, farther from side walls by an inch or two. I did use the 'flashlight technique' to set the toe in.

Sound stage is much more defined than in the past. Instrument positioned are better locked into a position and I seem to have grown the stage in depth and height (it was already wider than the speakers).

Could have listened all night, but I have to go to work tomorrow. Quick answer to the question "was it worth it?" YES!!

All of the walls (save the bi-fold door) are up. Installed the Summits and the Scripts. Then sat back for a night of tweaking Summit placement and sweet listening.

Sound stage is much more defined than in the past. Instrument positioned are better locked into a position and I seem to have grown the stage in depth and height (it was already wider than the speakers).

Could have listened all night, but I have to go to work tomorrow. Quick answer to the question "was it worth it?" YES!!

Burke,

Congratulations on finishing the project. Anything else that changed? How's the bass articulation - better or the same? how are the dynamics - less, more, same?

Burke,

Congratulations on finishing the project. Anything else that changed? How's the bass articulation - better or the same? how are the dynamics - less, more, same?

The bass is very tight, drums sound like drums.

Best thing for you to do is drop by Sunday morning and have a listen for yourself. You can also help me do the last of the dial in.

I use two sheets of Rockboard 60 in each panel that yields a 4" thick panel..

Lookin' good Burke !!

I too used the Rockboard (albeit the more flexible mineral wool varity) doubled to four inches with air space behind in the corners, effectively giving us 8"...so I'm inclined to believe.

Finished for a while

The big push is now done. I still have a door to make and small finish work to be done. But I have been listening to music for two days and watching movies for one.

Attachments

• IMG_4189-01.jpg
    IMG_4189-01.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_4190-01.jpg
    IMG_4190-01.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 214
Back