Thread: Bob Carver Opening repair shop w/ Rita Helm

Default Bob Carver Opening repair shop w/ Rita Helm

Bob Carver is opening a repair shop with Rita Helm.They are going to work on Carver Corp,Phase Linear,and Sunfire audio equipment.They will also restore all vintage tube amps as well.They state that each unit will be repaired, updated,gone through from top to bottom,and restored to the same performance and condition as the day it was built.A flat fee of $170 plus shipping covers it all.These words were straight from Mr. Carver himself.The phone number was listed as 425-530-9557. Their address is listed below.
    Rita Helm,Old Sunfire Building
    1920 Bickford Ave.
    Snohomish,WA 98290

Interesting . I wonder if he is going to mess with the old ribbon speaker repair !
    Martin Logan... Odyssey...Krell KSA 100s...Krell KRC3 Pre Amp...Krell Connect Media server/DAC
    My system here

Default Bob Carver repair shop

I think he is going to only do the electronics and not the speakers.Bob Carver listed the info at Carveraudio.com.Click on forum and then Carver equipment repair.I listed the info because myself and numerous members use the Sunfire equipment.Their prices are extremely cheap for the kind of service they will provide.Mr. Carver may be bored or just does not like the absurd prices people are charging to work on his gear.Either way it seems like a plus for owners of Bob's designs.

A huge Plus for Sunfire as They made you send it back for anything. I have a True sub that is out . Wonder if he can get it back up and going. I know its a $3 part that is burnt up but Sunfire wants $400 min.
    Martin Logan... Odyssey...Krell KSA 100s...Krell KRC3 Pre Amp...Krell Connect Media server/DAC
    My system here

hmmm, i've got a pair of MC60 amps that i couldn't sell. i keep thinking about bringing them back into the system and driving the CLS from them. having them get a "go over" for $170 would be a good thing.

the $5000 for shipping however i wonder if they allow for drop offs, i'm only 90 minutes from snohomish...
    CLS system here.

walk gently. leave a good impression.

Default I'm sure they will take drop offs.

It would actually be easier for them.On other forums he has even arranged to meet people at his shop.Who better to fix the Carver or Sunfire gear other than the man who invented it.

Man, that's too cool.

I'm sending off my '96 vintage (IIRC) Sunfire Cinema Grand. I'm sure it could use new caps and some tweaks.

When the factory re-did my '93 vintage Sunfire stereo last year, it really came out good, better than new even. But that was $350.
    I understand they want $600 for multichannel units. So Bob's deal sounds like a bargain.
    Last edited by JonFo; 01-02-2009 at 06:53 AM. Reason: spelling
    Jonathan

System #45 (Monolith IIIx, Sequell IIb, SL3XC)

Quote Originally Posted by JonFo View Post
    Man, that's too cool.

I'm sending off my '96 vintage (IIRC) Sunfire Cinema Grand. I'm sure it could use new caps and some tweaks.

When the factory re-did my '93 vintage Sunfire stereo last year, it really came out good, better than new even. But that was $350.
    I understand they want $600 for multichannel units. So Bob's deal sounds like a bargain.
    Yeah, I've got a '96 Cinema Grand that I bought new to run my ReQuests but now runs my whole house system. I keep it on 24/7 because the delay module is out in it. I would love to get that puppy fixed, as I'm never getting rid of it. 12 years or so and still going strong. Still sounds excellent too.

Dan
    Kicking back somewhere in the desert, listening to my Logans....
    Click here to see my system
    Odyssey, Descent i, Theater, Vanquish

Has anyone here gotten real world feedback on this new option?

I have a pretty old 'Magnetic Field Amplifier' that has gone up in flames more than a few times. Seems to have been developed at the onset of their 'downtracking' power supply technology. Maybe that should go in for a re-work.

When I say flames, I literally mean *POOF*!

Odd as a buddy of mine has the same unit and it has worked forever...

Bob Carver made some great stuff....

Tj

I've got a SDA-360 5 disk cd and a CT-3 all in there original boxes and packing that I bought new back in 1992-ish when I was in the Air Force. They used to sell Carver in the BX back then.

I think I'm going to look into sending the CD player along with my Cinema Grand to have them gone over.