Free d/l of Blue Coast Records flamenco demo

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepysurf

Reaction score
The Jan issue of S'phile has a fascinating Industry Updates column (p. 14, Jason Serinus) profiling recording/mastering engineer Cookie Marenco, and the recent Bay Area Audiophile Society experiment at her Blue Coast Records studio, comparing live vs recorded music. The column is not yet available online, but hopefully will be soon. She recorded flamenco guitarist Jason McGuire, and demo'd the impact of various mixes, played back both on her studio monitors, and an "audiophile" system, and compared to a live performance. Two of the recorded tracks are available for free download as 44.1kHz/24bit wav files. I converted them to FLAC, and played them via my Squeezebox. For those with CD players only, they can be burned to a CD for playback. More info here...
http://bluecoastrecords.blogspot.com/2008/12/stereophile-profiles-marencos-recording.html

After hearing the above demo tracks, and reading further about Blue Coast Records, I ordered their hybrid CD/SACD Blue Coast Collection, The E.S.E. Sessions from Amazon. It arrived today, and I am sitting here with my jaw dropping. This album is one of the finest recordings I've ever heard, both in redbook stereo, and SACD multitrack surround. The songs are an acoustic/folk mix from various artists- all superb (notwithstanding the last track presumably thrown in as a quirky acoustic joke). This album now tops my demo list to show off the transparency and speed of ML's. Rather than just posting the album cover pic, here's a link to a demo video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXWLrqE41Zg

I have had that Blue Coast SACD on my recommended list now since 2007 - great isn't it?

They have a new album out by Art Lande - solo piano works called "While She Sleeps"

Yep, I picked both of them up at the last two RMAF's. I just wish they had more stuff available. Recording quality and content are both outstanding.

Back