VH1 Classic: Metal Mania-Stripped: Volume 3

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDSPHOTO

Reaction score
Artist: Various
Title: VH1 Classic: Metal Mania-Stripped: Volume 3
Label: Sidewinder Records
Released: February 21, 2006
Genre: Hair Metal

I found this CD at the local CD Warehouse 2 weeks ago and have not been able to remove it from CD player. This was the final volume in a series of unplugged records put together by the VH1 marketing machine. This CD really brings back some great memories of the 80's for me. While not all of the bands translate from heavily polished recording mixes to acoustic, some are excellent. The highlight has to be the duo of Jack Blades (Night Ranger) and Tommy Shaw (Styx) who played with Ted Nugent in Damn Yankees, doing an acoustic version of High Enough. These two produce mesmorizing harmonies that make Simon & Garfunkel sound like they were out of tune! This song alone was worth the price of the CD. While I was never a huge Kip Winger fan, this version of Heartbreak is haunting, using what sounds like a harp to play the famous keyboard and guitar parts from this hair anthem. The submission by Don Dokken works well as does one of my favorite songs from the 80" Turn Up Your Radio by the never heard from again Autograph.

This CD is highly recommended for any hair band fans.

Track listing
Unskinny Bop [From MTV Unplugged] Poison 3:48
High Enough Tommy Shaw, Jack Blades 5:07
Signs [live] Tesla 3:02
Headed for a Heartbreak Kip Winger 3:48
In My Dreams [From One Live Night] Dokken 4:33
When I Look into Your Eyes [From Good Acoustics] FireHouse 4:03
Way Cool Jr. [From MTV Unplugged] Ratt 5:44
Heaven Jani Lane 4:05
Turn Up the Radio Steve Plunkett 4:01
Nobody's Fool Tom Keifer 2:58
Don't Close Your Eyes KIX 4:06
Just Take My Heart Eric Martin 3:47
The Killing Words [From MTV Unplugged] Queensrÿche 4:00
Up All Night [live] Slaughter 5:01
Balls to the Wall Accept 3:50

Attachments

• 51eXnUhFL9L._AA260_.jpg
    51eXnUhFL9L._AA260_.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 242
Tommy Shaw and Jack Blades also recorded an acoustic cd together of all cover songs that is fantastic. The album is titled Influence. They cover Your Move by Yes, Dirty Work by Steely Dan, For What it's Worth by CSNY, I am a Rock by Paul Simon, and more. I would highly recommend it.

Latest posts

Back