Your favorite ML tweaks?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveneumann

Reaction score
I'm a first time ML owner with the Spires. Now that the speakers are broken in and placement seems to be pretty well dialed in, I am curious about the tweaks you have discovered with your ML speakers.

Although interested in continuing to fine tune set up (I have read the various threads on this forum), I am curious about things like upgraded power cords, plugging them into power conditioners, improved jumpers, stands, bi-wiring, better spikes, etc.

Share your tweaks and secrets to get the most from ML speakers. Thanks!

Dave

I would also recommend upgrading your power cords. make sure your cable connections are clean and tight. If you are using jumpers definately consider getting rid of them and going to bi-wired speaker cables. There isn't much else to do placement is very important, and you can also look at your room treatment a couple tube traps could help. But mainly dont beat yourself chasing perfect sound enjoy the music.

My system:http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=169

Attachments

• TheMostWonderful_Fullpic_1.jpg
    TheMostWonderful_Fullpic_1.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 2,414
Last edited:
In my opinion, the 'minor' tweaks such as:

bi-wire
spikes
jumpers
power cords
etc

won't make a huge impact. Speaker position can make a big difference and it never ceases to amaze me how people will spend $500 on power cords but never experiment with listening position, the distance the speakers are from the rear wall, and so on.

Also - room treatments are highly underrated and addressing the room acoustics will deliver much more bang for the buck.

Erik

Putting full-frequency absorption panels behind the speakers is one of the best tweaks you will ever make, in my opinion (especially in smaller rooms where you cannot place your speakers five foot from the front walls and at least three foot from the side walls). And, of course, as much bass trapping as you can do will improve your sound tremendously.

Upgraded power cords do make a big difference. I haven't found that power conditioners make a big difference for me, but we may have very clean power -- I don't know.

For older ML's (and the Vista) without powered woofers, bi-amping makes a huge difference. Anyone with Prodigies, Ascents, etc., absolutely should be bi-amping.

Adjust the vertical rake angle of the panels to 90 degrees.

GG

Hola Gordon...I have a problem with this...if I set my CLSs at 90, I loose a lot of highs, and my stage shrinks too narrow, and my sweet spot is too small. I loose the magic that I do have now, it could be, due to my room, it is too small. I do like better to have them leaned back, because my stage opens up and I get the sense of being in a bigger room! Happy listening,
Roberto.

Last edited:
Adjust the vertical rake angle of the panels to 90 degrees.GG

This has made the biggest impact for me in my room. If you haven't done this then you will want to take a few minutes and give it a go. I used a leveler to get it as close to perpendicular as I could and the soundstage really came alive. A must try IMO.

Hi Roberto,

Didn't try this when I owned the CLS2A's. Worked wonders with the Aerius, the SL3, and the Summits.

I'm sure, as with all things ML, each setup is different.

Happy Holidays to you and all the other wonderful folks who hang out here.

Gordon

Hi Roberto,

Didn't try this when I owned the CLS2A's. Worked wonders with the Aerius, the SL3, and the Summits.

I'm sure, as with all things ML, each setup is different.

Happy Holidays to you and all the other wonderful folks who hang out here.

Gordon

Hola Gordon...Yes, I think, with all respect, the same. I just wish that I could get more, but enough is enough!...I am truly happy with my set up now...I am playing with a sub, and it is giving me hard time for 2 channel listening, When I am 5.1, it is a must. Warm regards to all, and I wish you a very happy listening,
Roberto.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I agree that making small tweaks to placement can yield big benefits -- this seems to have a much larger impact than with other speakers I have owned including other ESLs and dynamic driver speakers. Last night I found that one of the speakers was off by about two inches and when I got it exactly equal to the other speaker, it resulted in images snapping into place a little better.

I have the speakers almost at 90 degrees, with the rear spikes out as far as they will go. Not quite vertical, but close to it. I found that this made center images more solid and with more body.

Room treatments are next. I have large ficus trees behind each speaker for diffusion as well as some absorption on the front wall. But I am getting periodic bass boom and will probably have to get some bass traps.

Thanks again for all of your insights on how to get the most from ML speakers!

Dave

I agree obsessional detail in placement pays great dividends for Spires. More critical than for SL3 Ascent or Vantage. Never mind two inches difference!! ...you'll get added benefit, Dave, from the last 1/4 inch of symmetry from edges to front wall! Mains filters cables etc can make differences in certain locations but only on condition of free home trial, for me.

After careful positioning just put on some great music the Spires are just fabulous - mine still improving after 140 + hours.

Lastly, practice santosa - Yogic contentment!!!

One more tweak to consider is measuring speaker/room frequency responses, using a Radio Shack meter, REW software, or alternatively, the XTZ Room Analyzer. Such measurements will really guide you in dialing-in your speaker placement, bass adjustments, and impact of room treatments. I recently bought the XTZ Room Analyzer(see thread... http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7504)
and am still learning how to use it, but it has already yielded great results in helping me "tune" my Summits.

ML Spire Tweak...

The single best investment after spending time adjusting speaker placement
was a set of Audioquest Cinemaquest speaker wires. About $800/pair, yet
with Tweater going out of business in Illinois, I located a pair for $400. Absolutely stunning difference in soundstage and detail. Previously I was using
basic 14-gauge Monster cable and thought it was good stuff - ha!

The two things that made the most difference with my speakers (after room treatments) was a set of 1.5" OrgeonDV spikes, and stacking mass-damping weights on the top of the woofer cabinet. The spikes tightened up the bass of my Sequels considerable, and made everything just a tiny bit more clear and open. The mass dampers seemed to affect midrange clarity the most, but also tightened up and smoothed out the bass a little more.

Latest posts

Back