Pass Labs X250.5 or X350.5 for the M L Spire.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rellaht

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with these amps driving the Spires? I am currently powering my Odyssey’s with a Pass Labs X250.5. I have not had the opportunity to audition both, but the consensus opinion is that the X350.5 offers better sonics among these two amps due to its extended Class A operating range.

I’m considering an upgrade to the Spires and am wondering if anyone has had experience with both amps driving these newer speakers. Since the Spires have self-contained amplification for the bass, does the extra power of the 350.5 make as big of a difference since the amp is not driving the speakers full range?

You can't go wrong with either, IMO. I would be surprised to hear any real sonic difference driving the Spire's.

Either of those amps will kick ass!! I'd personally go with the 250.5 since it's alot cheaper. The 350.0 could be considered overkill.. but both are very sweet and will make your Spires SING!!

I'm with Tom.

Given the price difference between the two, I would certainly question the added sonic benefit.

Given my somewhat smallish room and my typical volume level, I have listened to many CD's without the needle moving at all. If it does move, that of course indicates that the amp is going into the AB operating mode.

Even in AB mode, the amp sounds pretty darn good to my ears.

If your room is large and you listen to a lot of dynamic material at 90db plus, the 350.5 might be the better choice.

Only way to be sure is to have them side by side and compare the two.

GG

PS Even at very loud passages with dynamic music (95 to 100 db), needle doesn't go past 11 o'clock. If $ are not an issue, go with the 350.5. However, you are paying large $ for additional Class A watts.

Last edited:
While I can't speak for the X250.5, my recently purchased X250 is awesome, complete control of my Vista's!

you ever shake hands with someone and they really grab hold and give you a nice 1 2 3 that's probably the difference between the 250.5 and the 350.5

The upgrade from the Odyssey’s to the Spires will be a noticeable difference I am sure you will enjoy. The X250.5 will make sweet music. Since you already own it I don't see any reason to move up to the X350.5.

I purchased a Sanders ESL 2 ch and then later moved up to the mono block, you can hear the difference but it is not worth twice the price. I would suspect the same from the Pass Labs 250->350 upgrade.

Go for Spires and if you have lot's of money left over the get the CLXs instead.

Pass Labs says their X250.5 is a better sounding amp than the X350.5. The x350.5 is made for people who need that power. I have owned a few Pass Labs amplifiers in my day.

Pass Labs says their X250.5 is a better sounding amp than the X350.5. The x350.5 is made for people who need that power. I have owned a few Pass Labs amplifiers in my day.

Thanks everyone, for your feedback. This is a great forum.

Diamonds, can you elaborate a bit? I know Pass said this about the previous X250 / X350 amps (Nelson himself said as much in an e-amail I sent with some questions a while back) , but I thought that the 350 had the edge in the newer X.5 series.

Happy Holidays, all.

I know that my Pass X350.5 is superb with both my Summits and my Ascents. I have also heard Gordon Gray's X250.5 driving his Summits, and it sounded incredible. So I have to conclude that you can't go wrong with either choice. Only you can decide if the 350.5 is worth the extra money. Probably, it is not unless you just have a lot of disposable income and want a little more headroom.

Personally, if I was making this decision right now and I had the cash and HVAC capabilites, I would go for the Pass XA .5 series (100.5, 160.5 or 200.5 monoblocs). These amps operate purely in Class A bias, but still double down their output with a halving of impedence, and are designed to be able to handle the demands of low impedence and reactive loads. According to Pass, they do sound sweeter than the X.5 series.

Personally, if I was making this decision right now and I had the cash and HVAC capabilites, I would go for the Pass XA .5 series (100.5, 160.5 or 200.5 monoblocs). These amps operate purely in Class A bias, but still double down their output with a halving of impedence, and are designed to be able to handle the demands of low impedence and reactive loads. According to Pass, they do sound sweeter than the X.5 series.

That'd be the way I'd lean too, if I were in the market for a pair of SS amps.

Back