possible components for new ht

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

tony gange

i am building a home theater in my new house. it is a dedicated room approximately 17' wide in the front fanning out to about 20' at the back.the back is open but will be closed off by heavy drapes. the ceiling is 9.5' high with two large beams approximately 10 inches wide and 12 inchesdown from the ceiling.
the beams are 7' apart from each other.
i currently own two odysseys a theater i and two frescos.i want my components as future proof as possible. 70%movies what about the denon 5805 as opposed to separates?
my home theater "expert" recommends the following and i would like some advice:
moon stargate processor $5350
moon aurora 7 channel amp $5850
radia in ceiling speakers for the back surrounds-i don't like this idea $800
cinzena sony projector $3500
denon 3910 dvd
proflex speaker wire
cardas interconnects

tony gange said:
i currently own two odysseys a theater i and two frescos.i want my components as future proof as possible.

Future proof with audio :D There is always the upgrade bug with something bigger, better, and more tempting....but you appear to be on the right path with the suggested items...

70%movies what about the denon 5805 as opposed to separates?

The Denon is no where near the quality and performance of what you listed below and would not do your Odysseys & Theater their due justice..

moon stargate processor $5350
moon aurora 7 channel amp $5850
radia in ceiling speakers for the back surrounds-i don't like this idea $800

If you have the room, go with the larger ML's for your Surrounds. For 7.1 rears (not surrounds) you can always go with Fresco's or other ML smaller speakers

cinzena sony projector $3500
denon 3910 dvd
proflex speaker wire
cardas interconnects

A Denon 3910 with all that other gear? Why not the 5910, or the McCormack UDP-1, or many other Universals that are MUCH better than the 3910?? Strange pick considering all the other components listed?

thanks re components

hi
thanks for your advice
i might go w/ the scripts as surrounds but i don't like the look.
if i stay w/ my frescos for surrounds would the in ceiling radias suffice?
the 3910 denon was my idea because i can get it for under $1000
any other amp/processor that you like?

tony,

Welcome! Your ML speakers, you listed, are fantastic. I think, Dan is quite correct, as usual, about suggesting ML's, as rears... I would suggest, another pair of ML Fresco's, or a pair of ML Script i's, for your rears. I see you are to have heavy drapes, at the rear... I hung my Scrpt i's from the ceiling, They sound wonderful, and I can position them any where, I like, adjusting them as needed (See ML forum - Member System's - #57). IMHO, it's much better to stay with an homogenous all ML system... Also, I agree seperates are best. I have learned, ML's require voltage and current (power), to make them sing properly.

Your HT discriptions and dimensions seem great and big enough too. IMHO, you are quite fortunate to be building your HT from scratch. It's like a blank canvous to an artist's painting... If you do not mind another suggestion... IMHO, I think, your high beamed ceiling is a sound design challange... You might consider a lower and sloped ceiling like, ML founder, Gayle Sanders designed, for his, "Martin Logan Test Home Theater", in Lawance Kansas. Check it out on the ML home web site. I think, the lower and sloped ceiling treatment, would eleminate the sound traps of a beamed ceiling and create an excellent surface for sound waves to propell out toward our listeners and in the process produce a tighter and better sound environment for your ML speakers. By-the-way, you did not mention, anything about a, Subwoofer... Do you have one? or are you considering purchasing one or more, down the line, for your HT?

Again, Welcome to the ML Owners Club.

-Robin

In regard to the Denon 5805, you might ask if the opinions of people on this component is based on first hand experience or normal audiophile disdain for any receiver-based system. :) I am particularly skeptical of laying out $5K for a pre/pro that is likely obsolete now regarding HDMI inputs and outputs and questionable for new DD and DTS formats coming out in the next year. The amp sounds good now, but I would advise getting some answers from the dealer on how he plans to take care of you when the new formats and HDMI are on everything including $500 receivers. ;)

Last edited:
The McCormack UDP-1 is based on a very old (by HT standards) Pioneer design and does not surpass the 3910 in terms of video quality. But you may not be able to tell. The UDP-1's audio section is heavily modified so it probably sounds better than the 3910. But again you may not be able to tell. The point is don't let your installer talk you into buying equipment that is super expensive just for the sake of matching the expense of your speakers. Your MLs will make almost anything sound good believe me. If you want those last degrees of resolution and you can afford it then by all means go for it! If you need to put the kids through college and need to save some bucks then the higher-end Denon equipment is good stuff. Not jewel-like quality like the Moon equipment, but good none the less. I think the 3910 would be a sound choice.

socialxray said:
The McCormack UDP-1 is based on a very old (by HT standards) Pioneer design and does not surpass the 3910 in terms of video quality.

Very true, as I was thinking about audio only and I think you can find a better player if they are planning on putting out that kind of cash. The 3910 is a nice video performer like you state. But check them out and if you cannot tell a difference between them, go for the lower priced unit.

The point is don't let your installer talk you into buying equipment that is super expensive just for the sake of matching the expense of your speakers.

Could not agree more. Take the "Roberto Oath..." "Trust your ears"!!!!

....then the higher-end Denon equipment is good stuff.

For me and my tastes....I did not like the Denon 5805 or any other of the Denon stuff for driving main ML's. And yes Attyonline, I have heard them, and it is not "audiophile disdain" I base my opinion on, but rather listening to them.

But again all this in only my opinion and the poster should go out and listen for themselves to determine what is best for them.

Dan

Last edited:
I really like my Scenarios as rear channel speakers. I do not feel it is worth the extra money to go from 5.1 to 7.1 and i do not think in ceiling speakers are going to match well with the ML's. I tried a 7.1 experiment in my own system (with Theil on ceiling speakers-pricy good ones) and came to this conclusion. As for a DVD player I like my Lexicon RT-10. Plays everything out there and available used on Audiogon for < 2K. My video system currently consists of ML Aeon (front), Logos (center), Scenarios(rear), with a Descent sub driven by a Proceed Amp 5. Processor is a Myryad MDP 500G6. Sources are Lexicon RT-10 and DISH 921 PVR all wired together with Cardas cables. TV is a 65" Mits Diamond RPTV.

"A Denon 3910 with all that other gear? Why not the 5910, or the McCormack UDP-1, or many other Universals that are MUCH better than the 3910?? Strange pick considering all the other components listed?"

I disagree with this opinion. I think the 3910 is an excellent choice for dvd's and multi-format audio. I do agree with the other opinion that spending alot of money on a source right now with hd-dvd so close might be a waste.

Munster said:
I disagree with this opinion. I think the 3910 is an excellent choice for dvd's and multi-format audio.

I agree the 3910 is a good dvd player.
But giving the level of the above system, it's good to consider a player coming the same line of quality.
We often say "source first"
Why not considering something like Arcam DV79 for instance ?
Or better, ( but not cheap ) the Linn Unidisk 1.1 or 2.1 ?

Jean-Marie said:
I agree the 3910 is a good dvd player.

Scored very well in the Secrets shootout for video, so for a mid-priced player, it would be a good choice for video.

But one must make sure that the type outputs the player supports, the formats supported, and the future formats (if they are even concerned about them) are something they are concerned about. If the player is just a "piece to bide time", then spend even less money than the 3910 on a player now and play the wait and see game.

But giving the level of the above system, it's good to consider a player coming the same line of quality. We often say "source first" Why not considering something like Arcam DV79 for instance ? Or better, ( but not cheap ) the Linn Unidisk 1.1 or 2.1 ?

This was my point. Tony is looking to spend 15k+ on processor, power and projector, plus all his great ML stuff, spending another 1-3k to have a better source (even if seperate DVD and Audio players) is something to consider. There are better audio and video players out there providing a better "source" as you put it. But if the other pieces is where he wants to spend most of his budget on and save a little on a DVD and Audio player, and is happy with results, then it will be a good choice.

Dan

What Are Some Improvements That I Should Lood For Other Than Hdmi?

tonyc said:
I really like my Scenarios as rear channel speakers. I do not feel it is worth the extra money to go from 5.1 to 7.1 and i do not think in ceiling speakers are going to match well with the ML's. I tried a 7.1 experiment in my own system (with Theil on ceiling speakers-pricy good ones) and came to this conclusion. As for a DVD player I like my Lexicon RT-10. Plays everything out there and available used on Audiogon for < 2K. My video system currently consists of ML Aeon (front), Logos (center), Scenarios(rear), with a Descent sub driven by a Proceed Amp 5. Processor is a Myryad MDP 500G6. Sources are Lexicon RT-10 and DISH 921 PVR all wired together with Cardas cables. TV is a 65" Mits Diamond RPTV.
DO YOU HAVE CARDAS SPEAKER WIRE OR JUST INTER CONNECTS? HOW MUCH WER THEY?
TONY

tony gange said:
I Have The Velodyne Dd 15 And Like It Very Much

Nice !!!! :D

Forgot to ask...have you upgraded to the new 2.0 software for the DD sub? Not owning a Velodyne, I could be wrong here :) but I thought the new 2.0 software that would be included in the SMS-1 was available for the Direct Drive subs.

Just went to Velodyne site and yes the 2.0 upgrade is for DD series.

Dan

Last edited:
tonyc said:
I do not feel it is worth the extra money to go from 5.1 to 7.1

I too agree with this. I had some "extra" bookshelf type speakers lying around and just threw them in for the 7.1 But I could "easily" live with the 5.1 setup and not miss a thing...

Dan

tony gange said:
the 3910 denon was my idea because i can get it for under $1000

Here is a link that may help you out with your DVD Player decisions...Remember this is DVD performance only and has nothing to do with Audio.

just scroll up to the top when the page comes up for all the players tested...

Home Theater Secrets Shootout

Here is the link to all their shootouts:

Index for Shootouts

Dan

Last edited:
Hey tony,

I have heard good things regarding the, "Velodyne DD 15", on this forum. IMHO, Servo-subwoofers, like the, Velodyne DD 15, seem to keep up, the best, with electrostatic ML speakers. IMHO, you might want to consider, holding-off, purchasing any DVD player in the short trem, as advanced technology, HD-DVD players are on the herizon, in the near future, i. e., Fall of this year or Spring of 2006...

-Robin

Latest posts

Back