Pass Labs 350.5

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterpioli

Reaction score
I've read that many Martin Logan and Sound Lab owners are successfully using the Pass Labs 350.5 amp. Apparently, Sound Lab uses the 350.5 amp to demo their speakers at shows.

Are many forum members using this amp? How do you like it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Peter, I use a Pass X250 with great results. Read my review in the RECOMMENDED AMPLIFIERS section.

The X350.5 is just MORE of a good thing.:D

Hi Peter,

Myself and others on this forum have the Pass Labs and I believe we are all quite happy with the product.

Given their pure Class A output prior to going to AB, they can get quite warm to the touch.

The main difference, as you go up the line, is the amount of Class A watts prior to the amp going into the AB mode.

They also make models that run totally in Class A mode.

Bottom line.

Great sounding SS amp with a very smooth top end, an articulate, "almost" tube like midrange, and very controlled in the mid and lower bass with more than ample current to drive ML's. Build quality is also outstanding.

GG

Last edited:
I use the Pass Labs X350.5 on my secondary system driving ML Ascents. It is a fantastic amplifier and controls these speakers with finesse and ease. It has a wonderful sound, great dynamics and oodles of power. The only reason I don't use this amp in my primary system is the heat output (my primary system doesn't get near as good ventilation as my secondary system). I highly recommend this amp to drive any Electrostatic speakers. Or better yet, go with the XA .5 series, which I think is even better.

Rich is your primary Mystery system in a shoe box ? Even a small 12x12 room can take the heat of an amp ! Unless you stuff it in a cabinet but who would do such a horror? :(

Rich is your primary Mystery system in a shoe box ? Even a small 12x12 room can take the heat of an amp ! Unless you stuff it in a cabinet but who would do such a horror? :(

CAP,

It is an enclosed theater room that is 19' long by 14' wide by 9' tall. It has two HVAC vents, but just doesn't seem to get good air flow and tends to get pretty warm. Don't forget, I have a front projector that puts off a fair amount of heat, plus all the other equipment (CD, DVD, Playstation 3, Sunfire 5400, Meridian G98 surround processor, cable box, etc.) When the whole system is fired up, there is a fair amount of heat output. Add a few warm bodies to the mix and the room can get unbearably warm.

The Pass Labs runs in Class A up to something like 80 watts of output, so it puts out an awful lot of heat, much like a big tube amp. It is just too much in this particular room, with all the other equipment. It gets toasty in there with a heat source like that. My Sanders amps don't put off much heat at all. And they are in a cabinet, actually, but one with great ventilation.

I'll post my system soon so you can see what I'm talking about. ;)

CAP,

It is an enclosed theater room that is 19' long by 14' wide by 9' tall. It has two HVAC vents, but just doesn't seem to get good air flow and tends to get pretty warm. Don't forget, I have a front projector that puts off a fair amount of heat, plus all the other equipment (CD, DVD, Playstation 3, Sunfire 5400, Meridian G98 surround processor, cable box, etc.) When the whole system is fired up, there is a fair amount of heat output. Add a few warm bodies to the mix and the room can get unbearably warm.

The Pass Labs runs in Class A up to something like 80 watts of output, so it puts out an awful lot of heat, much like a big tube amp. It is just too much in this particular room, with all the other equipment. It gets toasty in there with a heat source like that. My Sanders amps don't put off much heat at all. And they are in a cabinet, actually, but one with great ventilation.

Rich - so you have a Sanders amp, Pass amp, Sunfire amp. Here is my question -- can you compare the sound of those 3 amps? I have a Sunfire signature that I use for stereo (bi-amped) as well as home theater with anothe amp.... How do the 3 compare? thx. tim.

Rich - so you have a Sanders amp, Pass amp, Sunfire amp. Here is my question -- can you compare the sound of those 3 amps? I have a Sunfire signature that I use for stereo (bi-amped) as well as home theater with anothe amp.... How do the 3 compare? thx. tim.

Tim,

I have actually already done so in a previous thread. If you use the search function, you might find it. But I have a hard time finding things with the search function on this site, so I will give you a synopsis. Note that this is based on memory. I haven't done this side by side comparison in a long time, so this is just my recollection of things. The earlier post will provide a more accurate picture of my thoughts at the time I made these comparisons.

I actually have the Sanders Monoblocs, the Sunfire TGA 5400, and the Pass Labs X350.5. I also have the Conrad Johnson Premier 140 tube amp. I find the sound of the Sanders monoblocs to be the most neutral of all. In other words, I can't find that this amp produces any noticeable sonic signature of its own. It just gets out of the way and perfectly reproduces the information contained on the source. It does everything well, and has no obvious limitations. On top of that, it doesn't produce too much heat. I would describe it as absolutely neutral, with clear, precise, reproduction and imparting no tonal character of its own.

Some who are used to other amps' tonal character may consider these amps slightly lean, but I believe they are just more accurate up and down the frequency scale. The sound of these amps pushing the Summits is just scary amazing. Clarity, detail, dynamics, clear highs, beautiful mids, and deep tight bass, with no overtones or obvious sound signature of their own. They really allow you to hear the differences in various preamps and source players, and the true recording quality of the music.

I find the Sunfire's to be a great amp and a good match with the Logans, but when compared to other amps, I would describe their sound as somewhat "dark." They are just not as clean, clear, neutral and open as the other amps. They impart a sound signature of their own onto the music, which is not too noticeable until you start comparing them with other amps. I find they do a great job reproducing bass, but their tonal character is ever so slightly dark. I don't quite know how else to describe it. Perhaps Jeff can help me here. I use them for center and surround duties in my home theater. I haven't found the difference in tonal character between them and the Sanders to be a problem, but then I am not as critical in home theater listening as I am in two-channel.

I find the Pass Labs to be very similar to the Sanders Amps in terms of overall quality of sound and dynamics, but it imparts just a hint of warmth to the sound, much like a tube amp. It is just more musical than the Sanders or Sunfire amps. Note that it is not as romantic and lush as a lot of tube amps, but it does add just a slight bit of tonal warmth and smoothness to the music, which sounds great although it is not absolutely accurate in my opinion.

The bottom line, in my opinion, is this: If you want absolute neutrality and accuracy of playback, tons of power and great dynamics, without producing too much heat, go with Sanders. If you want incredible playback that sounds awesome, albeit not absolutely neutral (just a touch on the warm side) then go with Pass Labs. If you want the best bang for the buck, a solid amplifier that mates well with electrostats and doesn't cost a fortune, the Sunfire is a good bet.

As for the CJ Premier 140, check out Cherian's recent posts. He does a good job of describing this amplifier. It has incredible dynamics and foot-tapping sound, a slight lushness without being overly romantic, but it does fall down a bit in reproducing bass. It is at its best when just running the panels, and allowing a solid state amp to run the woofers. This amplifier does more to get you involved in the enjoyment of the music than any of the others, with the Pass Labs a close second.

Honestly, if heat hadn't been an issue in this listening room, I would have never auditioned the Sanders amps. I would have been completely satisfied with the Pass Labs X350.5. But I wanted world-class sound and I couldn't handle the heat load of the Pass, so I auditioned the Sanders and never looked back.

By the way, Sanders also makes a great solid state preamp, which I have running the Pass Labs in my secondary system, and it sounds incredible. It is scary close to the sound of the ARC Ref 3 that I have running in my main system.

I do not own one but all the reading and research I have done points me straight at Pass. I really like Toms 250.5 hopefully after the economy stabilizes I will pick one up.

Pass X350.5 and M-L Speakers

I have had a 350.5 in my system for several years. I used it originally to power Ascent-i's and then the Summits. It does run a little warm but when it comes to opening up the panels, all I can say is "Hootchie-Mama" (untranslatable statement of audio ecstasy).
I have owned Pass Labs equipment since the mid-1990s beginning with their Aleph series. All of their equipment is built like the proverbial BS-H. The company has great customer support as well. I have found that every time I have upgraded (which is every few years), each new product represents an improvement in all of the sound qualities of its predecessor that I liked.
Reliability is a hallmark of their amps which is very important. I have had the Sanders amps (in their prior Innersound guise) which are also very good and a real bargain. They are not as well built and I did run into reliability issues with one of them.
All in all, the 350.5 is an excellent match for the ML ESL's. They are to be occasionally in used equipment sales and become an even greater bargain. I would recommend to prospective buyers that they consider a wheeled amp stand and the room to put them in the open for heat dissipation. Sound Anchors will make a custom stand for these amps for about 400.00

I do not own one but all the reading and research I have done points me straight at Pass. I really like Toms 250.5 hopefully after the economy stabilizes I will pick one up.

Hi Fish,

Given the economy and assuming you are able to afford, now should be a great time to buy used.

Based on my personal experience, I strongly suspect you will be quite smitten with your purchase.

GG

I just found a really good deal on Audiogon for the Pass Labs 350.5. I might have to finally buy one!

yeah right.......and you'll vote for Sarah Palin the next time around as well ! :eek:

now I know you Southern boys are a little slow but this is ridiculus ! LOL !!

yeah right.......and you'll vote for Sarah Palin the next time around as well ! :eek:

Only if Joe the unlicensed Plumber is her running mate. :D

now I know you Southern boys are a little slow but this is ridiculus ! LOL !!

It's not that I am slow, Dave. I'm just a really, really, good procrastinator. Just ask my wife.

I am close though. I just need to clean up a few things and start taking the photos. But I am vacationing in Hilton Head for a week right now, so it won't be this week.

Back