ATS Acoustic Panels

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm

Reaction score
Anyone use these? Someone here sent me to that site awhile back - and my birthday is coming up!! So, I figured that might be a good thing to look into. These would be my first room treatments...

If anyone has any opinion on these - let me know... I don't have the $$$ for some of the 500-1000 dollar room treatments.... thx. tim.

Hey Timm,

I have several of these in my two channel room. Four of them are the 4" thick version and the rest are the 2" version; all of the sizes are 24"x48". They can make custom sizes as well, but the price goes up quite a bit. The quality is very good and they use the same independent testing facility as some of the more expensive ones if I'm not mistaken. You can go to their site and see which frequencies will be absorbed and get an idea of whether you need 2" or 4". If you click on the link to my system you can see them hanging on the wall on the first page. That is my updated system pictures with some new gear and the ATS acoustic panels. They have really made a difference in the way my system sounds and was well worth the price. The two you will see in the corners are the 4" thick bass traps without the board on the back, and the two directly behind the Vantages are also 4" thick. I looked around alot before purchasing these and while there other companies that do a good job, none were as affordable as these. There price and workmanship are superb!:rocker:

Glen

P.S.
I did not order all of these at the same time, but rather ordered a few here and there. I wanted to treat the front part of the room first so that was my first goal. Then the side wall first reflections, and lastly the back part. This helped me spread out the cost while benefitting from each installment.

Hey Timm,

I have several of these in my two channel room. Four of them are the 4" thick version and the rest are the 2" version; all of the sizes are 24"x48". They can make custom sizes as well, but the price goes up quite a bit. The quality is very good and they use the same independent testing facility as some of the more expensive ones if I'm not mistaken. You can go to their site and see which frequencies will be absorbed and get an idea of whether you need 2" or 4". If you click on the link to my system you can see them hanging on the wall on the first page. That is my updated system pictures with some new gear and the ATS acoustic panels. They have really made a difference in the way my system sounds and was well worth the price. The two you will see in the corners are the 4" thick bass traps without the board on the back, and the two directly behind the Vantages are also 4" thick. I looked around alot before purchasing these and while there other companies that do a good job, none were as affordable as these. There price and workmanship are superb!:rocker:

Glen

P.S.
I did not order all of these at the same time, but rather ordered a few here and there. I wanted to treat the front part of the room first so that was my first goal. Then the side wall first reflections, and lastly the back part. This helped me spread out the cost while benefitting from each installment.

Way cool glen... One question I had ... the wood backer... on or off? would the rule be - if they are going on the corner - off... on the wall ...on??? thx. a bunch... I will probably just be handling the front first as well.....

Hey Timm,

If you are hoping to use them as a bass trap, then have them make it without the wood backs. I'm not sure if they'll take the backs off of the 2" thick versions or not, but they definitely will for the 4" versions. What I really liked about ATS is they also include all of the hardware to hang them on the wall, so all you need is a drill bit and a screw bit. But yes, if you are putting them in the corners have them remove the wood backs so they can be more effective in the bass region. Hope this helps.

Glen

right now - I think I am going to get the 4" ones - since that is what I would put on the front wall.....

here is a question... I currently have a 60" sony in the middle of my speakers - which I can't move or get rid of... A lot of times I cover it with a blanket.... the rear of my speakers are 5' off the front wall....and the rear of the tv is about 2' off of the front wall.... Would you put panels behind the tv - or just to the sides of the tv and in the corner?

here is a question... I currently have a 60" sony in the middle of my speakers - which I can't move or get rid of... A lot of times I cover it with a blanket.... the rear of my speakers are 5' off the front wall....and the rear of the tv is about 2' off of the front wall.... Would you put panels behind the tv - or just to the sides of the tv and in the corner?

That's a good question and maybe someone who has a similar issue would give better advice. Do you have your system posted or could you post a couple of pics so those who are more knowledgeable could give some pointers? 5' off the back wall is very good for your speakers and that's the distance I currently have mine. The more you can have your speakers out in front of the tv would probably help, but I understand sometimes you have to make a compromise. Maybe if you decide to place something above the tv to help absorb some of the front wall reflection, you could get 2 or 3 of the 24"x24" panels that they sell for around $30. This way you could stagger them or even turn them diagonaly for a cool look and function. What I did was look through as many theater/two channel rooms as I could find here and other sites to get an idea of how many they used and how they placed them. Hope some of this helps.

Hi Tim,

I'm going to give this product a try, specifically to see if they make a difference to further address my somewhat live acoustical environment.

GG

Tim,

You can't go wrong with ATS, Qaulity product at a Great Price.
I use four 2'x2'x2" in my room, along with some other panels and tri-traps from GIK and ASC.

Glen is right order them without the wood back for better absorption.

I also have a big TV between my speakers and use a GIK 244 panel behind the tv, and at least for me I think it made a difference.

Those things look good and seem to work well, but are not practical in my situation, where my front wall consists of windows. The only solution for me seems to be ASC Tube Traps, but they are very expensive. Has anyone seen a cheaper alternative, short of making your own, a la John Risch? I hate the thought of working with fibreglass.

Those things look good and seem to work well, but are not practical in my situation, where my front wall consists of windows. The only solution for me seems to be ASC Tube Traps, but they are very expensive. Has anyone seen a cheaper alternative, short of making your own, a la John Risch? I hate the thought of working with fibreglass.

How about GIK Elite Acoustic Panels (on stands)...
http://www.gikacoustics.com/gik_242_elite.html

or their Monster Bass Traps (on stands)...
http://www.gikacoustics.com/gik_monster.html

I have the GIK Elite Pillar Trap and a Table Trap... high WAF, and reasonably priced!

How about GIK Elite Acoustic Panels (on stands)...

or their Monster Bass Traps (on stands)...

I have the GIK Elite Pillar Trap and a Table Trap... high WAF, and reasonably priced!
They are way too big. I'm looking for something identical to Tube Traps (1 foot wide), but cheaper.

Last edited:
Maybe I am missing something - but, why would I want the wood backs on any of these ATS acoustic panels? If you get better absorption without them - then why have the wood back on it? I would guess it would just hang on the wall by the frame. What am I missing here?

Maybe I am missing something - but, why would I want the wood backs on any of these ATS acoustic panels? If you get better absorption without them - then why have the wood back on it? I would guess it would just hang on the wall by the frame. What am I missing here?

If you plan to either hang them in a corner or space them off of the wall a couple of inches then you do not want the wood backs. But if you plan to hang them flat up against the wall then the wood backs make it easier to hang since now you can place the panel anchors in any configuration you need too.

I have four (2-24x48x2, 2-24x24x2) of these right now and just ordered four more, great quality and prices.

Hi Bernard,

Recently installed 4 - 2' x 2' x 2" panels on my windows. Center of ATS panel matches vertical center of the Summit's panel. ATS panels largely hidden by the plants in back of the speaker.

Very happy with the results. Used 1-1/2' diameter plastic suction cups (with U hook) and a hook attached to the panel to secure to window.

GG

Back