SL-3 Repair

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msflynn03

Reaction score
I have a set of SL-3's. One of them is not operating today. The speaker has power and the speaker leads are active. I have no sound from the panel and the red indicator light is not lit.

Is there a fuse in the base that may have blown? Is there anything else DIY repairable in the base or do I simply send it for service?

An help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Sl3

Please call Jim powers at Martin Logan he is great to work with and it will save you allot of wasted time. Good luck.

There could be several reasons for this.

No fuses (at last not in my SL3’s) so it ain’t that.

First, no power, but you say you’ve checked that (disconnected and reconnected the power cable, right?).

From here on out, it requires opening the back of the speaker. But you’re probably going to need to do this anyway, because even if you send something off to service, it’s better to send the crossover board and not the whole unit.

There are several parts that could be at fault:

First, is the wiring from the EIC power socket to the main board, it terminates into a screw strip. Make sure that’s well screwed in and making solid contact.

Next is the music sense, a circuit that detects voltage on the speaker input terminals and ‘turns on’ the AC power to the rest of the unit.
If the wires from the binding posts are not making good contacts, then this might not trigger.

This is provided via a gray wire from the binding posts to the circuit board, check both ends for good connections.

Beyond those two simple things, it could be any number of more complex things, and I’d also refer you to service for those.

But several times, we’ve seen loose wires be the culprits for non-functioning. So checking for that is simple and quick. Well, quicker than shipping something off ;)

Search and read up on various SL3 modification threads for pics of the boards and the open units.

As a visual aid, here is a pic with annotations of the inside of the SL3 crossover / power board.

Attachments

• SL3 Board.JPG
    SL3 Board.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 2,428
Great points JonFo.

***WARNING***
JUST TO BE SURE THAT YOU UNDERSTAND THAT YOU NEED TO BE CAREFUL WHEN OPENING THE UNIT. MAKE SURE THE UNIT IS UNPLUGGED AND NEVER FORGET THAT A/C POWER CAN HURT OR KILL YOU.

Back