New to ML; Questions about Spire Review

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveneumann

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post on this forum. After extensive listening at Audio Solutions in Indy, I just placed my order for a pair of Spires yesterday and hopefully by next weekend they will be here. They will replace my Quad 2805's which I love, but were just too unreliable to own long term. I've had the Quads in for repair twice in the two years I've owned them and am calling it quits with them.

After careful comparison between the two speakers, I'm not giving up much in terms of the midrange magic, resolution and coherence of the Quads. But I am gaining a lot of frequency extension, ability to play any kind of music well, and overall scale. While I hate to see my Quads go, it will be nice owning a reliable speaker that is supported by an excellent customer service network.

From searching some of the threads here, it sounds like there may be a Spire review in Tone Audio, but I could not find it. If a review exists, can someone please pass on the link?

Here is the rest of my system: Raven One TT, Graham Phantom II, Dynavector XX2, McIntosh C2300 preamp, McIntosh C275 MkV (all with Telefunken & Gold Lions), Music Fidelity A5 CDP, Cardas Golden Reference, Adept Response 6. My room is 29 X 12 X 8.

Regards,

Dave

welcome yet another spire owner I really think these are taking flight. just out of curiosity what kind of unreliability did you have with your quad's?

From searching some of the threads here, it sounds like there may be a Spire review in Tone Audio, but I could not find it. If a review exists, can someone please pass on the link?

Welcome! Nice to see another vinyl lover in our midst.

I don't think Jeff has written--or at least, published--his Spire review yet. I too am eagerly awaiting it!

The review of the Spire will be online (not in the magazine) in about a week.

Your conclusion of the Quad vs. the Spire are pretty much right on the money...

As for the MC275 and the Spires, it's not my favorite combination, but I've taken heavy criticism for suggesting that. I would say give the Spires a try with the 275, it may not be your cup of tea.

Again the one thing you will get with ML is customer service that is 2nd to none in the industry, so you can feel very comfortable with that!

Good luck on the new speakers...

Fishman, to answer your question about the Quad reliability one speaker just dropped output and it may be a panel or somewhere in the electronics, they have not yet diagnosed the problem. The first time I had them in for repair was to replace the binding posts and fix some loose wires inside. The speakers sound great when working, but the quality control and workmanship leaves a lot to be desired and the warranty is only 1 year so every time I take them it costs me to get them fixed.

Jeff - I auditioned the Spires with a Mac 252 and then the 275. The preamp was a C2300. My preference was for the 275 which to me sounded more natural, much better tone and dimensionality, which I guess is what you would expect with a tube amp. I look forward to your web review of the Spires.

Anyway, thanks all for your replies. I'll keep you posted on my experience with them.

Regards,

Dave

I really want to go with a PASS solid state amp for my spires. what do you think tonepub?

I really want to go with a PASS solid state amp for my spires. what do you think tonepub?

Hi Fish,

Myself and other members use the Pass and are very pleased. As Jeff indicated, all depends on your personal preference. An in home audition is always the way to go if you can make that happen.

My 250.5 has more than enough power. The model below would probably do just fine if you can't justify the 250 or 250.5 price.

Check out the Gon for used units. Can save alot of money and get a great product going this route.

GG

Hi Dave
Welcome. Having lived with Quads for fifteen years I can tune into the pleasures you will have enjoyed with the 2805. I had 57s and ELS63 and have heard 2805s. I think you will love the Spires which are more dynamic with very well integrated bass. Perhaps you may notice a fractional loss in top to bottom consistency or perhaps none- please report!
I would be surprised if you notice any overall loss in resolution in the mid range or anywhere else, perhaps the reverse. The Spires resolve important subtle detail fantastically in a way that enhances the enjoyment of the music e.g. Details of jazz group interplay. They present the music more transparently than the Quads and without the slight squeaky artefact reported by some reviewers of the 2805. The 2805s present more emphasis on the midrange which tonally feel more open and extended and brighter. I think you will find overall a more articulate detailed dynamic bass especially on electric instruments. The soundstage is much improved on previous MLs although you won't quite get the magical Quad point source broad soundstage that just stays there like the real thing no matter where you sit, but you go get a broad sweet spot. They also sound great at very low levels where imaging and frequency reponse do not collapse but stay and keep you engaged instead! They also love getting loud! You may find particular benefit from meticulously fine tuning the toe in as this affects the brightness of presentation which you can adjust to taste to some extent and thereby adjust your transition from the Quads.
Sadly I have heard other reports re reliability problems with Quads, after manufacturing moved to China and they were taken over. Hopefully they will overcome these set backs.
Enjoy the Spires they really are such a beautifully realised exposition of an ELS hybrid. For me definitely preferable to the Quad.

Hi Dougster,

Thanks for your message and your thoughts on the comparison with Quads -- it sounds like I made a good choice with the Spires. I agree that it really is a shame that a speaker with the history and potential such as the Quads could fall into the trap of poor quality control in manufacturing. When I bought them my expectation was to own them for a very long time.

You mentioned a squeakiness or brightness with the Quads that I never personally heard. Maybe it was due to my Mac 275 and C2300 electronics!

Once I get the Spires here and settled in, I will report on initial impressions and further comparisons with the Quads.

Regards,

Dave

Back