System #284 (Spire)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougster

Reaction score
Bruce Low

South East Scotland

ML Spires (from Nov 19th 2008)

No modifications

Moon W7 power amp P7 Pre amp
Super Nova CD Player
Magnum Dynalab MD 100 FM tuner
Linn LP12/Cirkus/Lingo/Transfiguration Phoenix/ Mooon LP5.3 Phonostage
Transparent Music Wave Plus speaker cables
Russ Andrews Kimber mains cables and Mains Purifier
Quadraspire Supports and DNM turntable shelf

Punkt music storage units; much music !! ; Lowden F35 Pear and Spruce handbuilt acoustic guitar

Previous systems: B&W DM1, Spendor BC1 BBC monitors, Quad ELS 57, Gale GS401A, Quad ELS 57 again !!, Quad ELS 63, Martin Logan SL3, Ascents, Sonus Faber Guarneri, ML Vantages, ML Spires.

Spires finally excell all other systems in all respects!!

Attachments

• P1010460.JPG
    P1010460.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 2,394
Dougster, good to have you aboard - Welcome.

Great looking system you have there and it sounds like you're very happy with the Spires. Tell us more about your musical tastes. Always glad to have another vinyl guy around. I for one would like to see some pictures of that noble Linn and the rest of the setup. Since you live in Scotland do you get a discount on the Linn stuff?:D

Dougster - do you like your speakers behind you:D?

Nice looking room. But you have to satisfy the picture junkies here, like Tim:)

Also, what acoustic is that? Can't help but be interested as a player... opps - it's a Lowden... soz, just read it!

Are the Spires rear channels? Just kidding, but how do you listen - do you spin the lounge around? I too, would like to see more pictures of the room and equipment.

Unmistakable European room with that radiator thingy behind the right Spire!

Spires

Will reply when I have replaced my laptop!! It's in terminal decline!
Hopefully can at least rescue the pictures of the rest of the system and listening seat! And storage which were sitting ready to add to thread. Not possible tonight at all. Thankfully the system is working perfectly.
No discount on Linn despite Scottish heritage link or Linnk!
Music tastes I shall expand on later in sections but would include Jazz such as Coltrane and Miles and Mingus Jarrett Garbarek Weather Report Ellington and various ECM artists.
Celtic music- Tony McManus, Alistair
Fraser, Tommy Hayes, Aly Bain with Ale Moller
World Music Salif Keita and Toumani Diabate and Kronos Quartet (pieces of Africa)
Classical Aarvo Part, Sibelius Stravinsky Rachmaninoff (Vespers) Robert Carver
More thoughts to follow... A lot of variety except grunge, hip hop, rap .. Not for me!
Will write when digits more favourably
Disposed Or Disposed of might say. This by way of hallo and thanks for responses via my iPod in the meantime

Bruce
Dougster, good to have you aboard - Welcome.

Great looking system you have there and it sounds like you're very happy with the Spires. Tell us more about your musical tastes. Always glad to have another vinyl guy around. I for one would like to see some pictures of that noble Linn and the rest of thae setup. Since you live in Scotland do you get a discount on the Linn stuff?:D

No one has noticed the ceramic suprawoofers! Wonder what ML would call them! They feature superb imaging and add real bite to bottom
end.
Secrets of listening seat to be revealed when new laptop with functioning hard disk appears and enables more pics!!
Spires way better than even the still lovely Vantage: Sound stage, natural tonal balance and bass articulation and dynamic impact are fabulous. I agree with Justin re size of panel and never completely adjusted to loss of Ascent, in that regard. The Vantage soundstage much narrower and the overall presentation is by the highest standards somewhat treble rich compared to larger panel.
Looking forward to when they're fully run in .. But if they improved no further ( one week old) I would be fully satisfied.

Bruce

Love the Ceramic WOF WOF . They are there as bass augmentations.
Glad you finely got them up and running. I bet they are singing sweetly !

Love the Ceramic WOF WOF .

Thanks Chris and everyone for your trustworthy support. Spires continuing to delight. They are so beautifully voiced. Switch on any good FM signal and they have an immediate sense of real and natural in their presentation. Pics will need to await this weekend and new laptop. Work very busy!!!
Bruce

More pics (Laptop and internet link now sorted!!)

More pics eventually after major laptop / internet problems needed sorting!

You can see home theatre (UK give away spelling!) not my priority. Linn is on independent wall shelf.

P1010452.JPG

P1010456.JPG

P1010457.JPG

P1010458.JPG

P1010459.JPG

Bruce - how do you rate that Lowden as a guitar?

Not the quickest of replies Justin, but came to this thread to update my system and note your query!! That was way back when you used to have MLs I think!!!!

That particular guitar I never quite gelled with too delicate and over responsive for me... and eventually got a very very good trade in for a similar Lowden in different woods. Mores focussed sound and solid, solid bass! Very nice ... I like it a lot... pictures to follow as well as updates one this system and my garden room!! Lowdens very much a special Celtic sound dry overall sound and great dynamics and cut-through top end. My Fylde is my general purpose beastie!

Garden Room and its system

I started a project to create a mini Garden Room for music practice in splendid isolation. I planned to have it capable of playing all my CDs previously ripped to my Meridian Sooloos MC200.

IMG_0671.jpg.

I live in a beautiful area near this kind of thing...

DSC_0472.jpg.

Early phase of building looked like this: ......

IMG_0683.jpg

It is now complete and looks a bit better!! .......

Cheers for now, Bruce

Was playing various silly price vintage Martins today - had to take the Gibson in for a new saddle.

Nice "shed" enjoy:)

Latest posts

Back