Look out

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrumpetDoug

Reaction score
Ok I will open up this "can of worms".

Have any of you thrown out the power cord to your ML's and replaced it with one of the more exotic brands? If so, which one, and what did it do for your system?

Of course if anyone thinks its all hooey feel free to chime in also.

Doug - out

Put in Granite 555.More refined,better bass.

I used the RSA Mongoose and Essential Sound Products "Essence Reference".

I'd like to say I think I heard a little more, but inconclusive at this point.

Interestingly, though ML has included better power cords with the CLX...

Ethan says your wasting your money....spend it on room acoustic treatments (but not the dots).:D:D:D

RIGHT ETHAN?

Personally, I use the DH Labs and am VERY happy with them.

Ok I will open up this "can of worms".

Have any of you thrown out the power cord to your ML's and replaced it with one of the more exotic brands? If so, which one, and what did it do for your system?

Of course if anyone thinks its all hooey feel free to chime in also.

Doug - out

I don't use after market power cords but I plug the speakers into my power conditioner which is connected by a nice power cord, and thus gets similar benefits. To my ears, it lifts a small veil of grunge.

I'm using Volex 17604 shielded power cords, but can't say I honestly heard any improvement. BTW, the newest versions of the 17604 cords are reportedly Chinese source, and not the same caliber of the older ones.

I'm using Synergistic Research Power Couplers on all of my source equipment, but I didn't hear any improvement so I ran out and bought some more for my pre-amp and amp. Still didn't hear anything worthwhile out of them, so then I added some to my REL sub and speakers. They didn't do anything either so now I'm going to upgrade to the Active Shielded versions.
:ROFL:

No after market power cords for me, yet. I'm somewhat sceptical that they can make a difference, but nonetheless I will try some. I need to sort out my preamp to power amp interconnects and speaker cables first.

I'm using Synergistic Research Power Couplers on all of my source equipment, but I didn't hear any improvement so I ran out and bought some more for my pre-amp and amp. Still didn't hear anything worthwhile out of them, so then I added some to my REL sub and speakers. They didn't do anything either so now I'm going to upgrade to the Active Shielded versions.
:ROFL:

LMAO !:ROFL:

Not getting involved in this one...

Oh, your no fun. Go ahead, pick up that stick and take a poke at the sleeping grizzly bear. I promise he won't bite.

When I purchased my CLS's they came with no PC's.

I made some from Belden (83401?) solid 10 ga. shielded wire with Wattgate ends. There was no reference point for comparison so they were there for about a year and a half.

For about 2 years I tried to diy many different interconnects and speaker cables. My system always had a little harsh over tone in the high end and the bass was a bit muddy. When I moved the Belden cables to my CDP and Pre Amp they were painfully harsh to listen to and were moved back right away.

After reading different reviews and threads on the forums I decided to start replacing all the different cables one at a time. My feeling was if could not hear a difference with each cable I replaced I would just keep the original cable and move to the next.

It wasn't long before I realized, in my system each Shunyata cables I was trying sounded better than anything I had made or the originals.

That doesn't mean Shunyata cables are the end all be all. It might mean the cables I made from copper wire, different Benden coaxial and Straight Wire with Canare and Eichmann connectors just sucked.

With the change of each successive cable the sound improved. I would say that changing the PC's on the CLS's to Sunyata Tipan's provided the lease change but seemed to help with the lower end by taking away a bit of the mud that was left and a some of the last harshness that was left.

As I changed more cables, each time I would go into it with the thought that it could not improve any more by just changing another cable. The improvement was there even though I was ready to sell any non performing cable and put the money back in the bank.

I finally found PC's for my amps but now my CDP is in for repair and upgrades so trying them will have to wait a few more weeks.

I have new found sympathy for others that have had to send their beloved equipment away for repairs and wait try not to think about it.

I know we have done this before, but I have found Signal PC's to improve my speakers. I tried Audioquests sometime ago with some slight improvement.

Nope as an power engineer I don't buy into it. I have never seen or heard any proof that they work. The only thing I will say is have the cord gauge that is appropriate for the amps being used. The ML speakers use less than .1 Amps of current to charge the stat panels (Powered speakers excluded: Summits and so forth). What is a low gauge cable going to buy you? If anything these cables will transmit electrical noise more efficiently.

Doug I use ESP Essence on my Summits. Shunyata Pythons on everything else. I believe the aftermarket power cords improved imaging, decreased the noise floor, and tightened the bass. Also decreased the panel to woofer discontinuity on the Summits. Once I can afford more Pythons, they will replace the ESPs which will then go to my Aeons in the home theater system.

Nope as an power engineer I don't buy into it. I have never seen or heard any proof that they work. The only thing I will say is have the cord gauge that is appropriate for the amps being used. The ML speakers use less than .1 Amps of current to charge the stat panels (Powered speakers excluded: Summits and so forth). What is a low gauge cable going to buy you? If anything these cables will transmit electrical noise more efficiently.

Yes Cherian my friend, but have you ever actually tried one?

Some folks would tell you that there can't be any difference in the sound between your old Sunfire amp and your CJ Premiere 350, and that your new tube amp is actually inferior to both. But what do your ears tell you?

Since my return to earth after being abducted by aliens, my position on subjective observations versus objective measurements has changed dramatically.

Have fun Doug.

GG

I'm a hard data guy. Someone needs to first explain the science behind it. I'm a power engineer. I have been working in the Power Quality industry for over 15 years. We sell a line of audio power conditioners and even medical power conditioners. I have had many sales rep visit me over the years to sell me "Audio power cables". They tell me it will make things sound better. So I say show me quantitative proof? Show me controlled test that is real world? Not one rep could prove this to me. If someone can explain why going through 50,100 feet or more of romex in the home is OK, why should the last 3 or 6 ft matter? I'm willing to listen.

I'm a hard data guy. Someone needs to first explain the science behind it. I'm a power engineer. I have been working in the Power Quality industry for over 15 years. We sell a line of audio power conditioners and even medical power conditioners. I have had many sales rep visit me over the years to sell me "Audio power cables". They tell me it will make things sound better. So I say show me quantitative proof? Show me controlled test that is real world? Not one rep could prove this to me. If someone can explain why going through 50,100 feet or more of romex in the home is OK, why should the last 3 or 6 ft matter? I'm willing to listen.
Is it that you are a hard data guy only when it pertains to your own area of expertise? You did not answer Tim's question about amplifiers, but I take it that you agree that there are differences between amplifiers.

Sure components that are designed to reproduce sound will do it differently. One amp design will sound different that another design. Again the amp is designed to amplify the sound. So it is the nature of the amp it distort or different design to not distort and so forth. So yes AMPS do affect the sound because this is what they are designed to do. But a power cords only have one job the transmission of voltage and current. A 14 gauge wire can flow 12 amps continuous with less than 1 volt drop across 6 ft. Again this is at 60Hz. We are talking power not an audio signal. If you have a high THD AC voltage the power cable is not going to fix this. All the Power supply in the AMP or the PRE cares is that it gets the voltage and current it needs to do its job well. So, if the right gauge conductor is used it should not matter.

I do not advocate the use of power cables as speaker wire. But then again if the wire size was big enough it will work just fine.

Back