MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fvbruin

Reaction score
I am excited to join the ML Club, and I recently decided to make the upgrade to a full ML system. My current setup includes, Source, Tickets, Dynamo and a B&W CC6 center channel, saving up for either Matinee, Fresco i or Vignette, any suggestions on which one to match with my Sources would be greatly appreciated.

Speakers:
Source L/R
B&W CC6 C
Ticket
Dynamo

Receiver:
Integra DTR 7.8

Amp:
B&K Reference 200.2

Blu-ray/SACD/DVD:
PS3

Directv HR-21 DVR

TV:
Panasonic Viera TH-50PZ750U 50in 1080P

Cobalt cables, blue jean cables, canare

Attachments

• DSC_0082.jpg
    DSC_0082.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 181
If you like movies and multichannel music, tv, etc. you definitely want to make sure you pick up a matinee, motif, etc (any panel center). Also, you should post your picks and information in the members system area if you have not already done so.

I saw you setup and are already planning to upgrade to the Vista someday,thats if my wife doesn't kill me first.

Amen, my Vista's have seen more movies then music in the past few months just for that reason; keeping the powers that be happy. She preferred the look of the Vista's and I was able to score a great deal working part time for a dealer.

I must say my Motif has really started to shine; this speaker is OUTSTANDING. The center is extremely important if you listen to a lot of multi-channel content (HDTV, gaming, movies music) because it receives well over half of all sound and most dialog. If you are planning to stay with the Sources, the Matinee is a great match because of the similar construction. Both have absorption for the rear wave so all you hear is clear voices and effects. It is becoming a great time to pick up a center if you have the funds (ebay or www.audiogon.com).

Also, it is good to see you have some external amplification; many people buy Sources and keep them connected to a receiver (I am guilty of that as well until this site came along).

Last, take a look at some room treatments if you can sneak them by your wife. I am lucky enough to have a dedicated area I was able to go nuts in. It was one of the single best improvements I have made, up with switching amps or speakers.

Keep reading posts, ask questions, and welcome.

Last edited:
room treatments

I've been thinking about room treatments but just not sure i can get by the WAF. Any tips on what to do that would not look less like room treatments and would be simple to implement and look clean?

There are many ways to do room treatments that don't look like 2x4' boxes hanging on the wall.

Here's one attempt at that: http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=6931

Much simpler approaches are to disguise acoustic treatment materials behind more artistic hangings and to use smaller sections of acoustic materials, wrapped in décor-friendly fabrics and arranging them more creatively.

My wife and I are planning a new round of something along those lines for our public living areas (vs the HT). I’ll be posting a thread on those in the coming months.

I've been thinking about room treatments but just not sure i can get by the WAF. Any tips on what to do that would not look less like room treatments and would be simple to implement and look clean?

You're being very smart in considering room acoustic treatments early in the design/setup process. Most of us neglected that until later on, when our hands were tied.

In the past, many folks went DIY, because there were limited commercial products, and they were quite expensive. Nowadays, there is a LOT of competition, and foks like GIK Acoustics, RealTraps, and others are offering WAF-friendly options at reasonable prices.

One more option I'll add is to consider selective placement of leafy silk trees for diffusion. While lots of absorption is good, too much can suck the life out of the soundstage. Diffusion treatments improve the imaging and soundstage depth without decreasing the total sound energy in the room.

Latest posts

Back