Another Chicago Gathering

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cherian,

I can't find the specs on your 350 on the CJ website. Can you help me?

Thanks

The Conrad Johnson Premer 350 is a SS amp not tube. CJ still makes many Tube amps in the new LP line. Check them out. You can get up to 250 WATT tube monos from CJ now.

Wanted to Thank You guys again for dragging your Monster amps over here. I keep playing the afternoon over and over again in my head.

The silkyness and smoothness of the 350 seduced me completely and I can understand why Cherian picked one up after the last shoot out.

The Sanders Amp also got me with the CLS, it seem to drive them effortlessly and they came to life with this amp.

As much as I enjoy these get togethers I hate them as well.

I am a music person not an audiophile, and at a young age music has moved and touched me no matter what I listened to it on, but lately I've upgraded at a rate I've never upgraded at before. Now I'm thinking about amps.

This Sucks.
I do get turned on to a lot of good music from this site and the get-togethers, but I find I don't get the enjoyment I use to from listening to music or it doesn't last as long as it use to, I'm searching for that better sound instead.

I don't want to be an audiophile, but I feel I'm becoming one.
I want to be more excited and enthusiastic about the music, not how the music sounds.

Hell we listened to Hotel California back to back with 2 different amps to see if we could tell the difference, we should have burned one down and let the song seep into our souls.

I don't know maybe it's just me, I need to get back to feeling the music rather than worrying about waht it sounds like. How do I do that?

I need to get back to feeling the music rather than worrying about waht it sounds like. How do I do that?

Hi Wayne,

You hit the nail on the head, problem is you made TWO speaker purchases damn near simultaneously. To make matters worse (for your wallet that is) they like / crave different amplification !

Focus on one, amp it to your liking, sit back.......and let the music flow !

Last edited:
I need to get back to feeling the music rather than worrying about waht it sounds like. How do I do that?
What Dave said, plus forget all the audiophile disks you use for evaluation, and pick something that you really like. Then forget the equipment and enjoy the music.

EDIT: Have you tried vinyl?

Last edited:
Wanted to Thank You guys again for dragging your Monster amps over here. I keep playing the afternoon over and over again in my head.

The silkyness and smoothness of the 350 seduced me completely and I can understand why Cherian picked one up after the last shoot out.

The Sanders Amp also got me with the CLS, it seem to drive them effortlessly and they came to life with this amp.

As much as I enjoy these get togethers I hate them as well.

I am a music person not an audiophile, and at a young age music has moved and touched me no matter what I listened to it on, but lately I've upgraded at a rate I've never upgraded at before. Now I'm thinking about amps.

This Sucks.
I do get turned on to a lot of good music from this site and the get-togethers, but I find I don't get the enjoyment I use to from listening to music or it doesn't last as long as it use to, I'm searching for that better sound instead.

I don't want to be an audiophile, but I feel I'm becoming one.
I want to be more excited and enthusiastic about the music, not how the music sounds.

Hell we listened to Hotel California back to back with 2 different amps to see if we could tell the difference, we should have burned one down and let the song seep into our souls.

I don't know maybe it's just me, I need to get back to feeling the music rather than worrying about what it sounds like. How do I do that?

Its a tough game of cat and mouse. I find my self sometimes staring at all this equipment and the money I spent saying to my self,"It never will end, Will I ever be happy?" I too am a music lover ! Sometimes I find myself driving and hearing a tune that brings me to tears as I have special memories or meaning to it. All through a Truck stereo!

Sometimes I just don't listen for a while and take a step back as you can and will become obsessed with that dream sound you are chasing. Its like a druggie who is chasing that first rush.

Don't sweat it , Your mind is full of doubt right now as to what realy sounds good. It happens every time I listen to a world class system. When I came home the first time from listening to the CLX I was ruined. My Krell sounded like a Kraco to me. Remember what this is all about. THE MUSIC !;)

If I may say,
Welcome to the Hotel California of Audio

"�relax,� said the night man,
We are programmed to receive.
You can checkout any time you like,
But you can never leave! "

I know what Wayne is talking about. I have been hooked into the audiophile world. Sometimes, I miss the days of my Bose Acoustimass system. You know the days you just played the music and did stuff around the house. Now I sit dead center and don’t move. Now the only chance I get to rock out is in the car by myself on the drive to work. This is the only time I sing along to the music and I don’t care that the CD sound like crap. No critical listening just fun and singing along. No how one amp sounds over another! No this speaker wire is better!

I think about all the time and money I spent the last 2 years in the pursuit of audio bliss. My God it is staggering!!! I could have paid off my car and still put more money towards my mortgage. In retrospect I have learned so much about Music, sound, and myself. So maybe the self-realization is worth the cost. Maybe the journey is truly more fulfilling that the destination.

So maybe the self-realization is worth the cost. Maybe the journey is truly more fulfilling that the destination.

Cherian and Wayne, I'd agree with this 100% except I'd point out that there isn't a destination, it's all the journey.

I really do enjoy the equipment, and likewise have spent a lot of money getting to where I am now, and will likely spend more still. I do however always bear in mind that it's a means to an end. Nothing is more important to me than the music, and I can honestly say that for every dollar I have invested in the stereo I have spent at least 2-3 times that much in music.

I dunno how I failed to miss looking at this again. Great thread, nice pics. Interesting observations - especially Summit versus CLS. I had been thinking of getting a pair of CLS, but this has put me off the idea, a long with other factors - sounds like they really do need one hell of a lot of juice.

As for the deluded, jaded audiophiles you say you have become, well, I dunno what to say, really. I have always really enjoyed my kit, and progressively more so as my system has got better. Another feel good I always have it getting home to it after a hi-fi show. I always think my system blows most of what I have heard away. Even a Summit dem didn't want to make me upgrade. I'd take a pair of CLX if they cost less, however!

So I say wake up! You have kick arse systems! Enjoy them!:)

BTW: if you feel your systems aren't musical enough, Bernard's vinyl suggestion shouldn't be taken too lightly. Damn! More cash required for a top flight analogue front end:D!

Guys thanks for your insights and comments.
Glad to know I'm not the only one who's struggled with this at times

I've put all upgrade thoughts aside and have gotten back to listening just for the enjoyment, no thoughts about the sound quality, I've picked up more than 20 CDs this last week and been through more than half.

The other day I listened to Pink Floyds The Wall in its entirety start to finish no interuptions,(had the house to myself), and enjoyed every second of it.
I'll bet it's been 10 to 15 years since I sat down and listened to the whole thing.

Tim, I like your ratio, 3 times as much money spent on the music, than on the equipment.

I'll just sit back and enjoy the Journey, wherever that may lead.

, I've picked up more than 20 CDs this last week and been through more than half

Wayne,

could you post the list of music that you wrote down while we all there, I failed to take notes and would like to pick some of them up.

Guys thanks for your insights and comments.
Glad to know I'm not the only one who's struggled with this at times

I've put all upgrade thoughts aside and have gotten back to listening just for the enjoyment, no thoughts about the sound quality, I've picked up more than 20 CDs this last week and been through more than half.

The other day I listened to Pink Floyds The Wall in its entirety start to finish no interuptions,(had the house to myself), and enjoyed every second of it.
I'll bet it's been 10 to 15 years since I sat down and listened to the whole thing.

Tim, I like your ratio, 3 times as much money spent on the music, than on the equipment.

I'll just sit back and enjoy the Journey, wherever that may lead.

Wayne,

At least you did not listen to the Wall twice in a row, trying different speakers and amps!

There is nothing wrong with some passion about what you enjoy. Things would be pretty boring otherwise. Better equipment just gets you more emotionally connected to the music.

In audio, the equipment just happens to be integrally connected to the experience. I am a tennis nut, and I like to try different tennis rackets, shoes, and balls as they all make a difference. They are just not as big part of the experience as the audio equipment. My wife and I have been to a dozen tennis camps all over the country, trying to learn things from different coaches. I imagine taking lessons and learning tennis techniques is similar to upgrading gear, as at times it seems burdensome, its goal is to make you a better player so you can get more out of the experience.

I imagine the passion and obsession is similar with cars, business, or whatever hobbies people care about.

If all you were doing was swapping gear, it would be a problem. The important thing is that you are enjoying the music.

Last edited:
I am a tennis nut, and I like to try different tennis rackets, shoes, and balls as they all make a difference.

Don't forget about the strings, David. Different strings can make a big difference even using the same racquet, as I'm sure you know. I am also a tennis fanatic and I agree that there are some similarities.

I constantly try different racquets and string sets, and take lessons from different coaches to try to find the equipment and techniques that work best for my game. The funny thing is, I never have my tennis pals telling me that a different racquet or different strings can't possibly make a difference in the quality of my game unless I can show some objective scientific measurements as to why that would be. You just go on feel and you know what works when you find it. Sounds kind of like most people's perceptions in the audio world.

Wayne, I can't understand how you can possibly find time to indulge your audio habit with a newborn in the house. I have listened to my system probably 1/10 the amount of time or even less in the year since my baby arrived than I did before. Of course, it doesn't help that our nursery is right above my media room. Makes for more listening with the headphones, which just isn't the same.

Kudos to you for finding the time to enjoy your system. By the way, I think you definitely need to upgrade your amps.

Back