System #275 (CLX)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMAUSGP

Reaction score
System #275 (CLXs, Descent i, Stage & 20 other Martin Logan Speakers

Member Name: Joe Adams

ML Models: CLXs(4), Stage(2), Stylos (6), Vistas(2), Fresco i(2), Passages (2), Motion 4s, (2) Decent i, Vignette (4), Motif

Year Purchased: Stylos and Logos -1995, Stage, Summits, CLX, Source, Fresco i, Descent i - 2008, others in 09 and more in 2010

Three complete and separate systems:

Home Theater:

Sources:
Blu-Ray Oppo BDP 83
PS3 for Gaming
Pioneer Elite DVL-91 Laser Disc
Dish VIP 622 DVR Receiver
SuperBeta
DVHS
PC

Power:
PS Audio Power Plant Premier
Running Springs Jaco
Sunfire TGA 7400
Audio Source MAP Three

Pre-Amp
Integra DHC 80.1
Projector:
Sony VPL-VW200 (Saphire)
120 inch Dalite Hi-Power Screen
DVDO Video Processor
PurePower APS 1050

(6) Stylos
(1) Stage
(1) SVS PB13 Ultra
(1) Sunfire Signature Sub

CLX 5.1 Music Sound System

Sources:
Simaudio Moon Orbiter Universal Player
PS Audio Digital Link III with Level 4 Mods
KAB Technics M5GS TT
LG 60 inch 1080P Plasma for monitor display

Power:
(2) Running Springs Audio Dimitri and Jaco (Running off two dedicated 20 amp circuits)
Simaudio Moon Titan 5 Channel Amp

Pre-Amp:
McCormack MAP-1 (one of kind) Custom Designed and built by Steve McCormack

CLXs for Front Channels
Stage Center Channel
CLXs for Rear Channels
JL Audio Gotham

Bedroom HT

Sony 5300ES Reciever
Panasonic 3d Bluray Player
OPPO BDP-83 Universal Player
DishNetwork VIP622 DVR Receiver
Fresco i (2)
Motif Center Channel
Passages inwall Side Channels (2)
Motion 4s Rear Channels (2)
KEF Sub
Panasonic 50 VT25 3D HDTV 50 inch Plasma display
Running Springs Audio Danielle for Power Conditioning

Comments:

2009 Update:
Okay, here is the latest update(This was in 09). I have replaced the Sunfire 5400 which is really a great amp by the way, but after some prodding by TonePub, I auditioned the Simaudio Moon Titan 5 channel amp and it is staying and the Sunfire is either sitting in backup or going to Audiogon. The Descent i is the same but I updated the center channel with a Stage in place of the Logos. Again I auditioned the Stage and it stays but I am not sure if I will let go of the Logos, I just re-paneled it and put a new woofer in it so it is like new.

Anyway, I also auditioned a Simaudio Moon Orbiter Universal Disc player and liked it enough to swap out my McCormack UDP-1. The Technics KAB modded TT is staying, although I did like the cartridge that again TonePub reccommended. I have a large collection of vinyl albums but tend to lean toward 5.1 SACD and DVD Audio.

I had custom designed rack built and an amp stand for the Titan all done by Steve Blinn Design. He did a great job. I also added various high-end power cables and am working on looking at higher end speaker cables, but I am not convinced that my Anti-Cables are that much worse yet. Stay tuned, Tonepub will probably have me testing Shunyatas.

I have added a modded level 4 PS Audio DAC with balanced RCA type outputs for all my two channel stuff and I have treated everything with Herbies Audio Lab isolation discs and assorted devices.

Lastly, because of the Internet I got to know Steve McCormack a little bit, and he started a new company SMc Audio. He is doing a redesign and rebuild of my McCormack MAP-1 six channel pre-amp. So until ML comes out with a new center channel to match the CLXs I am done for a while..... I think:)

OKAY HERE IS THE LATEST UPDATE: 2010

Okay, I was not done like I thought.....

Main HT updates
Added to new Stylos to main HT, now have 6 Stylos...both of these got new panels and woofers from ML.
Added Integra HTC 80.1 Preamp (with Audyssey)
Added Purepower APS 1050 Power Regenerator with UPS for Projector
Added Jaco to Power Amp

5.1 Music Only System

Added CLXs to the rear channels in place of the Vistas
Added JL Audio Gotham Subwoofer in place of Descent i
Took out single chair and added two person Love seat with low back for listening
Lots of new 5.1 channel SACDs and DVD Audios

Master Bedroom HT

Added Motion 4s to the rear
Passages to the side
Motif to the center
Frescos to replace the Vignettes
Moved the Sony 5300 but will replace with a 9.2 channel AVR soon
Added Panasonic VT25 3D HDTV 50 inch Plasma
Added Panasonic 3D Bluray Player

I thought I better update my system with all the changes, and it seems for the better. It's kind of funny but only people here on this forum can truly understand what an ML system can do when it comes to enjoying music and home theater and how these systems change as you chase the dragon.

When I have people over I try to prepare them by telling them upfront that they will not so much listen to music but rather for maybe the first time they will experience the music. They may come in as a skeptic, but they all leave as believers. Now with the CLXs and the Stage it has ratched everything up another notch. It had me saying WOW all over again! Throwing the JL Gotham into the mix has elevated or should I say lowered the bass to another level also.:)

Now I have had the CLXs for over a year and they never cease to amaze me. I have continued to move them around, tilt them forward and back and they just keep sounding better and better. I have gone back and revisited some of my vinyl collection and have have gone back into my 2 channel CD collection, these speakers are absolutely phenomenal. I just had to add two more to make the 5.1 system the best it could be. The only problem is that they tend to startle you a little too often and whatever you are drinking ends up in your lap or on your clothes or on the carpet. Even when certain pieces happen and I know they are coming it still startles me, just unbelievable.

The CLX is by far the most fun ML speaker I have ever had, I am now well over 25 MLs and counting. I really do hope that every one on the forum gets the opportunity to own a pair of CLXs or a pack of CLXs some time in their lifetime, they really are a hoot to play with!

And yeah, for those really paying attention, that is a Martin Logan Blue Bubble Head sitting on the Moon Titan and in the older pics on the Descent i.

Attachments

• js640_CLXSurround_011.jpg
    js640_CLXSurround_011.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 960
Last edited:
Joe,
I believe you have the first CLX based system posted in the members system section, are those Dark Cherry. Absolutly beautiful. Bet they sound Awesome.

As my wife is looking over my shoulder while I'm checking out your system, she says what are those?, I tell her the new CLX, she says how much?
I tell her the retail, She says don't even think about it,

Your one lucky man!!
Congrats.

Yes, very lucky alright! Congratulations on a beautiful system in a beautiful room.

[Shouting across the room]....."WIFE, HAVE A LOOK AT THESE - CAN I HAVE A PAIR?"

Welcome the dark cherry is nice. Time for a get together at Joe's !

Yes, very lucky alright! Congratulations on a beautiful system in a beautiful room.

[Shouting across the room]....."WIFE, HAVE A LOOK AT THESE - CAN I HAVE A PAIR?"
Doesn't addressing your wife as "WIFE" get you swatted across the back of the head?

BTW taken out of context, your shout across the room can be misconstrued :ROFL:

They are things of freakin' beauty in my opinion. I'm green with envy. The only criticism I can make is that we need more pictures!!!

:ttiwwp:

Justin, the illuminated band it appears he has in his listening room is what we in the lighting world call a "cove". Usually they are placed further up the wall at the jucture of the ceiling and wall, but this looks pretty cool in my view. Joe, what are you illuminating with, fluorescent or LED perhaps?

Last edited:
I 2nd Tim's motion - more pics please.

Of course, if you want to employ the services of a professional, we won't complain:D!

Old Pic of the way it was

This is an old pic of the way things were so that people can get a perspective on the changes made.

Attachments

• jse_DSC00280.jpg
    jse_DSC00280.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 3,051
Last edited:
I am a closet architect so I had the opportunity to design every room in this house and this room has a lighted 'cove' just under half way up the wall and goes all the way around the lower level.

Here are the new CLxs for the Rear instead of Vistas and Sources which I had in the first couple go arounds.

Looks much better with the CLXs for rear channel, don't you think.:D

Attachments

• jse_MLListeningRoom_008.jpg
    jse_MLListeningRoom_008.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 1,436
  • js640_CLXSurround_008.jpg
    js640_CLXSurround_008.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 770
Last edited:
This is from the back of the room next to the ML Vista, eventually I will add CLXs for the rear channels as well.

DID THAT! Note the laser coming out of the Suns mouth and powering the CLX in the front of the room, kinda cool.

Attachments

• jse_MLListeningRoom_007.jpg
    jse_MLListeningRoom_007.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1,396
  • js640_CLXSurround_017.jpg
    js640_CLXSurround_017.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 751
  • js640_CLXSurround_022.jpg
    js640_CLXSurround_022.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 720
Last edited:
Here is some of the Gear and and custom made Rack.

That is a Simaudio Moon Titan Amp on a Steve Blinn Design amp stand.

The rack is one of my own design with custom shelves by Steve Blinn Design

The other items are

Technics MSG5 KAB modded TT

McCormack MAP-1 redesigned and re-built by Steve McCormack

Modded Level 4 PS Audio Digital Link III

Simaudio Moon Orbiter Universal Disc Player

All put together with Herbies Audio Lab isolation devices.

Including polished granite slabs on the back of the CLXs and on top of some of the components.

Attachments

• jse_MLListeningRoom_002.jpg
    jse_MLListeningRoom_002.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,326
  • jse_MLListeningRoom_015.jpg
    jse_MLListeningRoom_015.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,355
  • jse_MLListeningRoom_004.jpg
    jse_MLListeningRoom_004.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,440
Last edited:
Home Theater

Attachments

• jse_DSC00291.jpg
    jse_DSC00291.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 3,094
Back of theater with projector on stand and Stylos on back wall.

Attachments

• jse_DSC00292.jpg
    jse_DSC00292.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 602
Front of Theater with 120 inch screen between Stylos

Attachments

• jse_DSC00293.jpg
    jse_DSC00293.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 603
The Rooms

Both rooms are identical in size 26 feet by 14.5 feet. The music room has quite a bit of accoustic panels installed including floor to ceiling bass traps. The lit picture behind the CLX is actually a combination of a couple of paintings from one of my wife's favorite artist. The cove is about 45 inches off the floor and has rope lites embedded in the top inside the cove. It gives off enough light to light up the whole lower level. As for the CLX wife factor, my wife does not know that I traded the Summits for the CLX. There are several bets as to when she will notice the CLX, I am guessing it will be about 6 months.

Back