Vantages to Spires for new member

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spires have arrived at long last. Excellent dealer in Edinburgh Scotland were awaiting parts for their delivery van. Said van duly back on the road and legal, John Carroll the main msn brougt them down today set them up meticulously and also installed Transfiguration Phoenix cartridge in place of aged (10 years!!!!) Temper. Initial impressions are of an absolutely exquisite detailed engaging and dynamic sound in a vast soundstage by comparison with Vantage. The Vantages paradoxically remain an excellent and fun loudspeaker ( that is a real if subjective assessment that measurements will never reflect in a world of love, meaning, music and emotion, by the way cf GG thread on those magic dots) The speakers have been on for less than 12 hours and already sound fabulous. I shall write in more detail re the Spires once run in but already fabulous with awesome low level listening (dear wife off to bed upstairs!). Even incompletely run in a no brainer over the Vantage if you are fortunate enough to have the money. (this room 13 x 18 ft).
Fuller evaluation and reflections to follow. Have to be capable of work tomorrow......do off to bed. Goodnight and thanks supporters, thanks ML and thanks Jan Garbarek

Bruce

Glad you are enjoying the speakers!

Get your hands on Anja Garbarek's "Smiling And Waving" if you don't already have it....

I guarantee you will enjoy on your new speakers.

Latest progress on Day5. After honeymoon on day 1, day 2 brought some marginal disappontment at lack of emotion, slightly too much space and not enough solidity of central image. Attempts to run in quietly overnight led to them switching off despite being in receipt of a signal. I put my ear to panel and woofer and selected Gotan Project bass synth heavy tango revisited for some heavy run in when out of the house!!! Very loud!!
The following day I adjusted the toe in to attempt to correct the deficiencies noted above. The spikes are already in situ into a carpeted wooden floor. I carefully took the weight of the speakers in turn and rotated each on inner front spike and measured distance of outer edge from the wall. At second attempt perfection ... Like focussing a lens images are now fantastically solid there is still much space around the instruments/ vocals but the speakers are no longer over bright. The woofers are joining in the fun and everything I listen to has never been presented so well - more dynamic, more natural than Vantages Ascent or Quad 63s. Bass articulation and timbre a delight. No doubt more to come.. Scuse the raving but hope of interest. Worth getting the toe-in just so. Speakers are so close to real music that this important set up parameter just puts the icing on the cake.
What is also very noticeable is how the speakers make music sound more different - both tracks from same CD and different styles of music. I remember Audionote Peter Qvortrup recommending this as a way of evaluating equipment rather than playing same track on two different set ups. On that parameter the contrasts I am hearing represent a remarkable lack of sonic signature in the system itself. Currently listening to Scotland's Robert Carver's "O Bone Jesu" - ninteen part harmony of unaccompanied voices. Wonderfully uplifting ... just exquisite.

Toe in for Spires and More Pics now on line

Spires still improving at 150+ hours. More detail and integration the most noticeable development and of course more fluid bass.
I have continued to fine tune the toe in and noticed that the toe in is far more critical than with my earlier MLs (SL3, Ascent and Vantage). I think this is because of the high level of performance attainable via the Spires. I am talking differences of half an inch at outer edge of either speaker from the wall keeping the inner edge constant.
I also await the Moon Phono Stage Power Supply which has arrived at my dealer a mere 40miles up the road!
What differences have Descent i owners noted with the Spires... Jeff et al ??

Bruce

Bruce, good to hear that you are getting your Spire's fine tuned to your liking, FWIW, I too am finding myself tweaking on mine more than I did with my Vanatage's ??? I've only got fifty or so hours on mine and at this point I think they are set, it will be intersting to 'hear', if I'm able, any descernable improvement in the next fifty to one hundred hours.

man I hope Bernard dosen't stop over before the 500 hr mark !:eek:

Dave, Philly is one of the few places Stateside to which there are direct flights from Ottawa. :ROFL:

A mere stones throw across the water brings you to this fair and lovely country, land of the home demo the Linn LP 12 and the haggis!!

Bruce

Dave, Philly is one of the few places Stateside to which there are direct flights from Ottawa. :ROFL:

Bernard, you are welcome anytime ! if you do plan a trip to Philly plan it around a concert @ the Kimmel Center, it would be great !!

And a Scot who forgot to mention Scotch ! :p

By way of apology for this dreadful omission I can give you some recommended beauties from a blind tasting! Bunnahabhain, Highland Park, Lagavulin, Glenmorangie!! They all measure the same (!!) but trust your senses as ever, they were designed to be drunk!! If you can't get them where you are please come and visit!!

Bruce

By way of apology for this dreadful omission I can give you some recommended beauties from a blind tasting! Bunnahabhain, Highland Park, Lagavulin, Glenmorangie!! They all measure the same (!!) but trust your senses as ever, they were designed to be drunk!! If you can't get them where you are please come and visit!!

Bruce
Actually I was just using an opportunity to needle you. I am not a Scotch drinker. I have seen all but the first here. I think the best-known ones over here are Glenlivet and Glenfiddich.

Did you use the appropriate Riedel glass in your blind tasting? Why would you blind taste Scotch when the initial pleasure is in looking at the stuff? Or am I taking it too literally? Is there such a thing as double-blind?

Did you use the appropriate Riedel glass in your blind tasting? Why would you blind taste Scotch when the initial pleasure is in looking at the stuff? Or am I taking it too literally? Is there such a thing as double-blind?

A reference of course to the science of Mr Ethan Wine r ! The Bunnahabhain was the winner!!!
Anyone any further thoughts on Spire and sub and the character of any benefits. Mine still improving at 120+ hours so no Sub decision as yet but interested in peoples opinions.
Listened to Little Feat Last Record Album on vinyl yesterday very loud ... my God .. phenomenal, complete ease and front seat live experience!

Listened to Little Feat Last Record Album on vinyl yesterday very loud ... my God .. phenomenal, complete ease and front seat live experience!
I never listen to my system very loud - I just don't find it necessary, but then I don't listen to rock/pop.

Regarding the "stat list", I am not, by nature, competitive, but I will reveal my own electrostat history as evidence of my disease (and remember, this started when I was but a lad, in 1976!)

Acoustat X
Acoustat Monitor 3
Acoustat 1+1
Acoustat 2
Quad ESL-63
Martin Logan Monolith
Martin Logan CLS lla
Sound Lab A1 and B1s (three different pairs of A1s as I moved cross country)
Sound Lab Pristine lll+
Innersound Eros (only ones I didn't like)
Quad 989
and finally, Martin Logan Summit....
remeber, it is the journey, not the destination.....!

Mark

Regarding the "stat list", I am not, by nature, competitive, but I will reveal my own electrostat history as evidence of my disease (and remember, this started when I was but a lad, in 1976!

remember, it is the journey, not the destination.....!

Mark

Eee aye... I think Hi Fi is a nice mix of competition and camaraderie, of sharing a pleasure and supporting fellow suffererers!!
Interesting to note the allure of electrostatics, I tried some good dynamic speakers along my journey such as Spendor BC 1 BBC monitors and Gale GS 401 and Sonus Faber Guarneri but the transparency naturalness and soundstage of stats are so wonderful aren't they.

Wow - Gales - that brings back memories.....
Though I have dabbled with dynamics - Meridians, Spendors, and I currently have a set of ACI monitors as well, there is something about that "window" that electrostats open, that makes it hard to forsake them.

Two very cool stats in the auditioned but couldn't afford category from my early days were the Beveridge (never forget that curtain of sound that the 2s made playing Cantante Domino) and the RTR
DR-1 - a very cool self powered hybrid from the late 70s with a circular array of electrostatic tweeters with a cone lower mid and woofer. Omnidirectional stat! Oh, and must not forget the Dayton Wrights - room shaking electrostatic bass from elements in bags of gas!

Hey you sound even more damaged / committed ( not to the hi fi asylum of course!!) than me. Yes there is something special re ELS sound. My brother, who, like us is a suitable case for treatment!! has Sonus Faber Amati Anniversario .. They are pretty much to die for .. And even he misses electrostatics, and he has only heard as far as the Vantage ...
Yes the openness clarity and in MLs case add great bass and the music lives!
Good to hear of someone who remembers the good if flawed Gales. I found them fascinating as they were far clearer in many ways than the Quad 57s but I was so relieved to buy another pair of second hand 57s as I just loved music when I listened to them even if they had far less detail retrieval.

Back