XTZ Room Analyzer

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepysurf

Reaction score
Last year I posted a blurb about the forthcoming "all-in-one-box" XTZ Room Analyzer. Unfortunately, I never heard any further mention of it until the Nov Stereophile, where Kal Rubinson raves about it, and posts some screen shots. Sounds like it's easy-to-use, and accurate. Just what I've been wanting for room/speaker measurements! Kals column is not online yet, but the manufacturers website is www.xtz.se Unfortunately, there's no American distributor yet, so it's only available direct from Sweden, for a pricey $320.

Last edited:
Looks great, except that I can't build a custom audio room right now, so all it would really do is make me less happy with my setup.

Looks great, except that I can't build a custom audio room right now, so all it would really do is make me less happy with my setup.

Au contrere! I think it would be equally useful for those of us trying to optimize non-dedicated audio rooms. I've been playing around with speaker placement and acoustic treatments in my family/listening room. Having some objective measurements would surely help guide me.

Hey Sleepy,

FWIW, it's "au contraire".

Keep up the french. I like it given the fact that I have a degree in Secondary Ed / French major.

GG

Hey Sleepy,

FWIW, it's "au contraire".

Keep up the french. I like it given the fact that I have a degree in Secondary Ed / French major.

GG
I hate to point this out, but the text in bold should say, "Keep up the French." :p

Hey guys, thanks for pointing this out.

Gonna have to get one, I think it will be invaluable for setting up speakers and subwoofers. Now if it will only work on a tablet PC, I can let the other reviewers use it...

Again, thanks for the info!

I can recommend it, I have one and it is a really useful.

A couple of pix from my first measuring attempts:

utanRP.jpg

This one showes a really strong resonance that muffles the sound,

medRP.jpg

Here the RoomPerfect correction (Lyngdorf DPA-1) is activated and the sound is more defined , the veil was lifted.
The frequency curve improved a bit :music:

I'll see if I can do some more measurements soon.
But I need to learn more about how to interpret the results.

Stefan, great to see you are using it! Do you know if XTZ offers FREE upgrades for future software fixes/improvements?

Have you ever used any other Room Analyzer? If so, how does the XTZ product compare?

Here's another new review from Enjoy the Music...
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1108/xtz_room_analyzer.htm

The reviewer used the kit specifically for setting up his sub, but offers glimpses into the overall functionality of the software. I particularly like how multiple test runs can be saved, and then superimposed, for comparison.

FYI, I emailed the company 2 weeks ago requesting more information about purchasing in the U.S., but never heard back. :mad:

For those interested in buying the XTZ kit, I found this British A/V website that sponsored a "Power Buy" on it, and said they can ship to U.S. for an additional £20 pounds. Only problem is they're currently out of stock! Hopefully they'll get more in soon...
http://www.avtalk.co.uk/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=24966&start=0&rid=13057&SQ=1225757688

Also, another caveat, XTZ apparently does NOT run on Windows Vista, only XP. Not sure if a Vista-compatible update will be forthcoming.

Last edited:
Thanks to my inquiry on the Stereophile forum, XTZ responded with following info for U.S. ordering. I'm sure they won't mind my forwarding their response, for those of you interested in purchase. The retail U.S. price quoted by Kal Rubinson in the Nov S'phile was $320, so $256 (incl shipping) sounds more reasonable! I just placed my order!

Aside from it's current incompatiblilty with Vista, there's another important caveat... in it's Room Analysis mode, XTZ has an upper measurement limit of only 250Hz. However it displays the full frequency range in it's RTA mode (but no time/frequency calculations). I'm hoping that might be addressed in a later software upgrade, but it's possible the mic/hardware is the limiting factor.

Here's the info for U.S. orders (spelling/grammar errors left in as a reminder that this is a Swedish product)...

Hi,
We are atill waiting for a complete Vista Version, and it will of course be free.

You pay USD $256 for Room Analyzer, No VAt from Sweden and including Shipping to you.

We need your e-mail for your Paypal account.
Namne, address, Phonenumber

We will do a money request.
When we can see the payment, we will send your order

Jens Wiklund
XTZ Sound Balance AB, Sweden<O:p</O:p
-----------------------------------
www.xtz.se [email protected]

Update. I ordered the kit, and paid in full with Paypal. Unfortunately, the package is now being held for ransom in NY, with some courier demanding an additional $42 to deliver it. There was not supposed to be any customs/duty charge, but somehow it got tacked on. Fortunately, XTZ has been very responsive, and working from their end to find out what happened.

For anybody else interested in ordering, I suggest waiting a few more days until this plays out.

I ended up splitting the bogus "ransom" $$ with XTZ, and just got my kit delivered this afternoon.

Slick product! It took a couple tries to d/l the software (hint, the Serial # is the 14 numbers following "XTZ" on the box label), but smooth sailing since. I plugged the USB cable into my WinXP laptop, and plugged the RCA cable with included Y-connector into an unused pre-amp input. The interface (even in expert mode) is quite intuitive. Haven't even bothered to read through the (short) manual yet. First time I ran it, it showed lots of excess energy/reverb in the midrange (sorry, didn't save that graph), and a bass bump around 30 Hz. I placed an acoustic pad over my HDTV, and dialed down the 25 Hz Bass control -2 dB, then re-ran the measurement. I got the following plot, with NO measurable bass modes! I still need to measure the impact of various acoustic panels and speaker placement, but it's already sounding better! Unfortunately, don't have any more time to play with it tonight, as I'm off to our monthly TBLS meeting, where I will extol the virtues of this fantastic tool!

I say RUN, don't walk, to www.xtz.se and order this kit ASAP! However, email XTZ first (I was dealing with Jens) to see if they've rectified the ?? bogus Customs/Duty charges that were levied on my shipment.

Will post more pics and updates later this week.

Attachments

• XTZSummit (Small).JPG
    XTZSummit (Small).JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,397
I ended up splitting the bogus "ransom" $$ with XTZ, and just got my kit delivered this afternoon.

Slick product! It took a couple tries to d/l the software (hint, the Serial # is the 14 numbers following "XTZ" on the box label), but smooth sailing since. I plugged the USB cable into my WinXP laptop, and plugged the RCA cable with included Y-connector into an unused pre-amp input. The interface (even in expert mode) is quite intuitive. Haven't even bothered to read through the (short) manual yet. First time I ran it, it showed lots of excess energy/reverb in the midrange (sorry, didn't save that graph), and a bass bump around 30 Hz. I placed an acoustic pad over my HDTV, and dialed down the 25 Hz Bass control -2 dB, then re-ran the measurement. I got the following plot, with NO measurable bass modes! I still need to measure the impact of various acoustic panels and speaker placement, but it's already sounding better! Unfortunately, don't have any more time to play with it tonight, as I'm off to our monthly TBLS meeting, where I will extol the virtues of this fantastic tool!

I say RUN, don't walk, to www.xtz.se and order this kit ASAP! However, email XTZ first (I was dealing with Jens) to see if they've rectified the ?? bogus Customs/Duty charges that were levied on my shipment.

Will post more pics and updates later this week.

Not trying to start another one but....

Ethan do you have any experience with this? Thoughts? How does this differ from REW?

Back