Jeff Wayne's Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds [SACD]

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherian

Reaction score
Jeff Wayne's Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds [HYBRID SACD]

SACD Release Date: July 5, 2005
Number of Discs: 2
Format: Hybrid SACD
Label: Sony

Ok I got this SACD on a whim and am totally blown away by it. A double album *rock musical* version of H.G. Wells' sci-fi classic, "The War Of The Worlds"? I know it sounds strange and it is, in a fun way. This SACD is original, imaginative and clever. The production is wonderful and the music eerie. From the sound of the martin cylinder un-screwing to the growth the red weed. I'd never heard anything like it before. The way the Martian-invasion narrative is brilliantly sustained from beginning to end, and, of course, Jeff Wayne's incredible music score that matches it. And, completing the "War Of The Worlds" package, there's the elaborate artwork that accompanies & illustrates the album---simply marvelous to look at. No question about it, "The War Of The Worlds" is quite an acheivement. This SACD in combination with MLs is what sound staging is all about.

This is a must have SACD!!!!!

Attachments

• wow.jpg
    wow.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 2,369
Cherian, I've seen this around for awhile, but never thought much about it. Now I'm intrigued. Can you draw comparisons to any other bands who might sound similar? I've always been a fan of similar "concept" type albums like Alan Parson's "Tales of Mystery and Imagination" or Rick Wakemans "Journey to the Center of the Earth".

I can not compare it to anything as I have not heard anything like this before. This is not to say it is not similar to other concept albums, just nothing I have listened to. This album is truly captivating. I can listen to it for the full 2 hours and just loose myself in the music and imagery. Get this album, CD or SACD, I promise you will not regret it.

Jeff Wayne's The War of the Worlds actually dates from 1976 (or thereabouts). It sounds *fantastic* on vinyl, but I also have the Limited Collector's SACD edition. In addition to the two hybrid SACDs, it comes with 2 CDs of bonus audio material, a DVD documentary, and a hardback book.

It's one of my favourite records, and I very highly recommend it (though I have a preference for the original mix rather than Gary Langan's remix). In fact, I listened to it just this past weekend!

That album came out when I was in High School. I worked at a record store back then (great job) and this album was very popular. Even back then, I do remember that it was a very well recorded record. Cool to see the cover again. Brings back good memories.

Latest posts

Back