getting the rear access panels off SL3 ?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernard991

Reaction score
I want to remove the back doors on my SL3's but after all screws are out they do not want to move ....
anyone have similar experience ?
they may have a gasket that sticks ..?
I do not want to damage these MDF pieces ..so prying with a screwdriver / or knife is dangerous
perhaps there is a trick to it ..??
thanks

Yes, there is gasket that sticks.

Best advice is to pull on the binding post terminals (gently) and see if that gives you enough leverage to pull that end out enough to put something in the groove.

Its just tricky to get out. I fought for about 20 minutes to get one of my SL3's opened.

This is what Jim Powers told me to do when I had my SL3s. Remove all of the rear panel screws. Open one of the binding post up enough to get the claw end of a hammer just inside. Take a clean rag and place it in between the head of the hammer and the rear panel you're trying to remove. Give the hammer handle a gentle hit with the palm of your hand. This should pop the panel loose. Worked perfect for me.

thanks for ALL the advice ...I found an effective way
after all screws out , I screwed in a 1/4" threaded hook into top left hole , put a scewdriver into the hook to gain purchase ...and poof out they came 2 minutes !
but the rubber gasket is broken ...so I need to replace
anyone done that ? I will ask Jim P i f they have some
I have decided to redo the XO's completely they are toast ...old lytics , and simple inductors
will keep you posted
Bernard

but the rubber gasket is broken ...so I need to replace
anyone done that ? I will ask Jim P i f they have some
I have decided to redo the XO's completely they are toast ...old lytics , and simple inductors
will keep you posted
Bernard
Let us know if Jim says that the gasket has to be replaced - I have SL3's as well.

Why do you say that the XO's are toast? BTW I replaced one of the electrolytics with a Black Gate (it was easily available), and it made NO difference to the sound (I have had great success before with replacing electrolytics with Black Gates in a DAC). Perhaps I should try replacing them all (not easy to do on the main board as everything is a tight squeeze).

Do keep us posted.

Bernard
I have ordered all new caps ..all film except for the 330uf lytic ... which I will replace w/ a Black gate ...also 2 new foil inductors am leaving the large bass inductor there , also will rewire w/ DHL silver sonic ..the space is limited so it will be a challenge , but I am just finishing the PS in my already heavily modded preamp ...so I am up for another challenge /..this is pretty addictive stuff ;)
the present XO may not technically be toast ...but it is definitely trash !

I am just finishing the PS in my already heavily modded preamp ...
While you are at it, I suggest that, if you have an el cheapo volume control, you replace it with a DACT stepped attenuator from parts connexion - $200, but well worth it.

Back