Renovating my Sequel 2 panels..Part 2.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leethomas

Reaction score
This continues the project from Part 1 in which I was applying the conductive fluid to the mylar film..Photo 1 shows a few sections coated, you can see the more opaque coating.

The original coating was applied only up to about 3 or 4mm from the spars, so then I 'rubbed off' some of the coating, as in photo 2. This was done before it cured, soon after application.

Photo 3 shows the completed panel, note the new copper strip along the other side and the connection under the black tape to the original connection.

Well, once that was done, I simply mounted the top stator back in position, and there was plenty of the sticky stuff on the original stripping on top and bottom of the stator to allow this. This could be glued, but I felt it would be good to allow future renovation to take place by not glueing; It is in fact the side wooden panels that compress the top and bottom stators together, when the panel is in position on the frame.

All that remained after was to replace the panel on the main speaker frame, then slide and knock into place the wooden side panels, and then connect up the panels 3 wires to the crossover board.

The first time I did it I can't say I wasn't Cr*pping myself; I had visions of a 1940's style Flash Gordon electrical firework display and the mylar bursting into flames! At least I expected nasty arcing noises!

Well, there were a few tiny clicks and then silence, and Voila!! Beautiful music emerging from the renovated panel, a lot louder, brighter and stronger sounding!

So after doing the 2nd Sequel, I reckon it's a success!!

The 4th photo shows the Sequels completed!

(And yes, that is an Avantgarde uno behind!)

Again I have to say many thanks to Rob Mackinlay from ER audio for his advice and numerous tips.

Hope you enjoyed reading as much as I enjoyed renovating!

Lee

Attachments

• 2008_0408self_pics0145_small.JPG
    2008_0408self_pics0145_small.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 6,091
  • 2008_0408self_pics0147_small.JPG
    2008_0408self_pics0147_small.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 6,386
  • 2008_0408self_pics0148_small.JPG
    2008_0408self_pics0148_small.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 6,237
  • 2008_0720self_pics0333_small.JPG
    2008_0720self_pics0333_small.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 8,827
Now that you've renovated them how do you like the sound compared to your AvantGarde's?

Hello Tim,

well in answer to your question about the Avantgardes, they are of course completely different to the Sequels.

The Sequel panels roll off in the lower mid and so sound a little thin compared to the Avantgardes. having said that, the space, atmosphere and scale around the sequels is amazing, it always amazes me. They pick out instruments so delicately. And the preciseness is amazing, as is the imaging. On small scale works they are fantastic. vocals too. I love the imaging.

The avantgardes are also amazing. Full blooded, dynamics on things like plucked guitars even are astounding. They make me jump out of my seat sometimes!
A full scale work like Wagner has me pinned to the back wall-with only a few watts of power! there seems to be no limit to the dynamic! Voices are full sounding, rich and emotional. It all sounds pretty live.
I heard Verdi's Requiem performed at the Cadogan hall, and on the full chorus I was pinned to my seat, the excitement and volume levels were astounding; These speakers will do that trick-effortlessly. They are beautiful in the mid-but not as seamless as the Logans. You can hear resonances. They are small, but I can hear them. But they work on every type of music, and I my musical tastes are wide.
I guess they are just so exciting!

To be honest, both stats and horns are amazing to listen too in different ways. No technology is perfect though, otherwise ther would be one solution.
I love them both though!

I note you have CLs's, what are they like? I would love to hear a full range stat.
In fact I did- at the heathrow show. I heard the new ML CLZ, with Jadis 200w amps and audio research front end. I'm afraid to say that I was underwhelmed. There was a queue to hear these speakers, but people walked out soon after they were played. They sounded seamless, sublime, but so dull and lifeless. I rather suspect it was the equipment. Has anyone else heard them?

Cheers,

Lee

In fact I did- at the heathrow show. I heard the new ML CLZ, with Jadis 200w amps and audio research front end. I'm afraid to say that I was underwhelmed. There was a queue to hear these speakers, but people walked out soon after they were played. They sounded seamless, sublime, but so dull and lifeless. I rather suspect it was the equipment. Has anyone else heard them?

Cheers,

Lee

Hi Lee,

I heard them there - see my London show report on this site. I thought they sounded great - easily the best in the show, followed by the MBLs and the Magico V3s. Hell, I even recorded them! I went on the Friday, though, and there was virtually no one in the room. What were they playing when you went in? I heard rock, pop and classical selections. There's no way the pop or rock sounded dull... it had a lot of "drive" to it - more than I was expecting, to be honest. Mind you, we had the volume at a good level.

Going to try and find part 1 of your thread...

Justin

Found part 1. Brilliant post. Your dirt assertion - bear in mind that the old conductive coating seems to contain black - you can see it if you look closely at new panels. Looks a bit like a fine black dust. So that was probably coming off onto your rag.

Have I got this right? You only applied the coat to one side of the film, surely?

Last edited:
Hi Justin,

interesting to hear your views on the CLZ.

Maybe my expectations were too high-they were seamless, sublime, detailed.
But there was something missing to me. I didn't feel emotionally moved. to me, they just sounded lifeless. I'm convinced it's not the CLZ fault.

There are two systems that have stood out in my life. The first, I heard 15 years ago, with ML quests with audi reasearch gear. I was astounded at the 3 dimensional imaging. I loved the sound!

The second, this year, March, at heathrow, GT audio, Avantgarde Mezzo Duos.
that was a mind blowing system!

So guess what? I have some Avantgardes, and Martin logans!!

Lee

Lee - can you answer my coating question above. BTW: I used to live in Sarratt and went to Watford Boys GS...:)

Also, you probably didn't like the Jadis amps I expect. You could really hear their character through the CLX, and they DO have plenty of character.

I've heard the Duos. Good speakers, but I'd take the CLX in preference!

Last edited:
Hi Justin,

the coating was only ever applied to one side of the mylar film. you don't coat both sides!

I did like the CLZ- I just don't think it was matched that well.

I do listen to a lot of live music, from classical to rock concerts. I'm quite confident I know how real acoustic instruments sound. Sometimes I sit close to an orchestra to hear the individual instruments.

The Avantgardes produce that live 'sparkle', that just seems for real! I suspect dynamics have a lot to do with it.

That didn't seem evident with the demo's CLZ's.

But I have heard other ML's sound exciting. I do really love ML's. They can sound amazing, and they look beautiful.

Sarratt is a lovely place!

Lee

Hi C.A.P,

the conductive coating material was ER audio's own recipe..but is available on their website.

Lee

Lee nice job !
did you receive any advice from ML at all ? I wonder if the conductive fluid is different in any way from original ?
did you notice any wrinkles on the mylar at all ?
my SL3's have some wavies at the top of one panel
thanks Bernard

ML renovation..

Hi Bernard,

just saw your post today.

I did get a litle advice from ML, but really did loads of research myself, and with the help of Rob from ER audio in Australia. The coating most certainly is different from the original, but shouldn't have a great influence on the sound, the conductivity may do.
I di have some wrinkles, but if the stator is apart, you can lift the edges up that the mylar is glued to and move them back a little to stretch it back! This seemed to work for me.

Cheers,

Lee

Hi I am very impressed by the job you've done with the clearing ans coating of the panels...
one question : how to connect the cooper strip to the wire ? Solder ? or the connector furnished by Rob Mackinlay ?
Thnak you for the response
Erik Decan

Well done

Hi Lee

Stumbled across this thread, and sorry for ressurecting an oldie.
Anyway, well done on the refurbishment. You done a great job.

I too have an old pair of original Sequel 2 panels. New oned were put in approximately 4 months ago, and I would like to try to ressurect the old ones.

Some questions if I may.

1. I undertand why you ran the additional copper strip for extra conductivity. Did you put the conductive coating on first, then put the tape on, or put the copper strip on the clean panel, and coat up to and over the strip?

2. When you placed the conductive coating, did you cover the entire panel, or stop a few mm either side of the spars?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Kind Regards

George.

I do not have my Sequel IIs yet, but having read this, I was excited to see I could revive the aging panels on a budget. Like others, I think that there's no harm in trying to rejuvenate the old panels when the new ones are pricey, but still available if needed.

But, how to get a conductive fluid? There's no price on ER Audio's site, and shipping would probably not be cost effective either. Luckily, I just found a place in Ohio that sells the conductive coating for DIY electrostatic builders. FYI, they also sell mylar sheet if needed, but they do not have the copper strip.

http://eslrepair.com/products.aspx

I wonder if that additional copper strip is needed or not. If anyone else has done this process, can the existing copper strip be reused? From what I understand, the new coating is applied over the existing copper strip...and the confusing part to me, now, is where the new copper strips would go. If I can do with the existing strip, I may not even worry about it.

Aside from that, this is a rather interesting project! Seeing my Sequel IIs were very cheap as well (they're waiting for me to pick them up), this is an ideal way to rejuvenate them.

Rudy,

Just seen this so my reply is probably too late to be of use but, having just renovated my Aerius panels in the same way, here goes: You can't really use the old copper strip. On the original the conductive part is on the underside and makes contact when it is applied on top of the coated film. The replacement strip that ER supply has the copper on the upper side and you apply the conductive coating over the film and the strip at the same time. One of the new strips goes where the original is, the other mirrors it down the other side; you then make a connection across the two so that they work in parallel from the single HT supply. FWIW I can't recommend Rob from ER too highly - the parts are very reasonably priced and he seems endlessly willing to offer help and advice.

I haven't done the panels yet, so your post is helpful. And since the link I posted is now dead, I will have to buy the parts from ER Audio even if shipping is a small fortune to the US.

Thanks!

Yes, the postage isn't cheap...but cheaper than new panels. :) I ended up having to replace the mylar film, a tricky process that involves stretching the replacement over a curved jig. One day I'll write a blog here about it. Good luck with yours.

Last edited:
reconditioning sequel panels

Trying to offset some cost and try and recondition the panels myself. Appreciate a step by step procedure to separate, remove coating reapply coating and any other conductive materials.
I am fairly handy and think I can pull this off. The panels are currently dead, so nothing lost but my time.
thanks

Back