Fav. Band

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg_slo

Reaction score
I personally am always looking/listening for new bands, as im sure many of us are. i figured there might be some people who might be interested in my favorites, and since they aren't entirely mainstream (outside of the genre they are contained in) i thought sharing here would be a good idea.

If you are interested in or think you might be interested in symphonic metal [their are WAY to many names given to the genre but this is the most prevalent name] with female fronted voice(s)

Nightwish (probably my fav. band of all time and all around)
Albums: "once" and "Dark Passion Play" and possibly "Wishmaster"
these would be the 2 (or 3) id start with..."Dark Passion Play" is the newest and the band went through a lead singer change. the new singer does not have an 'operatic voice' like the original; and by listening to "Wishmaster) as well as the other two you can get a a pretty encompassing overview of the progression of the band. Their 1st album is quite amateur in comparison to the rest, and almost borderline separate genre, but i digress.

If you like Nightwish: Within Temptation, Epica, After Forever (in this order of my prefference. These bands ill hold off album suggestions unless someone is interested or has already listened to some Nightwish.

and if you think you might like non female focussed singers (and some just less focused on female) metal that is not totally on the "death/black metal side, i have a few.

Also wanted to mention Lacuna Coil...though not symphonic, still good metal (and yes, female focals, though fairly evenly mixed with male lead. This bands 1st stuff is less heavy and slightly more...querky (?)

~you suggestions welcome:music:,
Greg

I would be interested in some of your suggestions as I have everything you listed (Nightwish, Epica, Within Temptation etc) but there is a section where you can post reviews fo specific recordings that might help others as well.

My favorite category is usually progressive to progressive metal with the latest CD on constant rotation being Christo from Vanden Plas.

Prog rock?

Johnwa,

You say progressive like prog?
If so do you like Porcupine Tree, Spock's Beard, Flower Kings, Marillion, to name a few. I "discovered these groups about 4 years ago and really loved getting back into this kind of music. Spock's Beard is a interesting group that has even covered some old Genesis in their live shows. All of these groups launch into epic drama music where each tune will ride a wave of styles and emotion. Some of the stuff could do with a bit "better touch" in terms of recording production at times, but still a fun ride.

Doug - out

Got hooked early on ELP, Kansas etc but like Porcupine Tree, Spocks Beard . . . . My favorite is Dream Theatre but just seem to be drawn to the long form for some reason.

Some of my favorite new bands:

My Morning Jacket
Kings of Leon
Son Volt

To name a few...

i wasnt trying to review the album so much as describe a bit of what the band is like. Perhaps i will post a review on Nightwish' "Once" album, a bit typical of an album choice for the band, but one of the more important albums of Nightwish' history.

But yeah, porcupine tree and dream theater are quite good too!! i can thank my boss for that...also from him (suggestion wise) devil doll (or is it devil dollS). there is some fun roller coaster of emotion music, really interesting stuff. and [the classics (?)] King Crimson, Genesis...etc.

ill have to check out Spocks Beard, Marillion, Flower Kings...

Audiophiliac: have you checked out Metallica's newest? is it "too loud" to you like some fans and critics are saying? im just glad they re-touched the master to have the album NOT like the 1st single (radio) release! it was awful...i think i kept the legal dl if you wanted to compare.

johnwa: it always exciting to to know other ppl are familiar with Nightwish (and the others you mentioned)!
similar to that genre: i mention After Forever, Xandria, Power Sympony, In This Moment(?), Kamelot, Leaves Eyes(?), Sonata Artica*, Avantasia*Dragonforce*

(?) = maybe will like
* = not so symphonic metal...i'd say speed or power metal...and most lyrics are fantasy/ knighthood related...fun stuff with some pretty ties to prog metal in their style of play (especially Avantasia)

I have more if anny one is interested... but like i said in the original post: if you to try this music out...start with Nightwish!!! :D

~greg

Wow--Tom pretty eclectic tastes as well from Keane to Dream Theatre. Great to see more diversity of tastes as I have not seen much of the edgier stuff here before.

Greg Slo: I really like NightWish and think Thomas is one of the best composers in the domain today. I actually prefer the Annett's vocie (less operatic and more pop which sounds counter intuitive but better to me) than Tarja. I think Tarja is extremely talented and love her voice and all my DVD's have her front and center. I think if anyone on the forum wanted to check them out they should listen to Passion Play first and if they liked that go to the back catelog. I bet most would appreciate the collectors edits where they could enjoy just the orchestration without the vocals if they did not really get into the rest. That said, I think most can find some appreciation for them.

I like Within Temptation as well but my favorite of the Symph Metal is Epica. I like Simone's voice and I think I might have done a quick review on them here. In any event, if Epica got rid of, or at least cut down significantly on the male growls etc, that do nothing for me but distract from well composed, solid material, I would love it. If you like Nightwish try to find Delain as it has some of the members on it and features a number of female singers like WT etc.

I like Kamelot but the song writting does not live up to the musicianship to me. I think Khan has one of the better male voices in rock but just a little over the top for me at times.

One of the bands not mention but in the same vien to consider if you have not already is Symphony X and again, if you haven't heard of Vanden Plas check them out. Solid! Also Circus Maximus.

On the Melodic Rock side, a few that I like are Pink Cream 69 (Stupid Name but great band), Gotthard, Black Tide, Edens Curse,

If you just want some strong vocals got to try Jorn.

Some of my favorite new bands:

My Morning Jacket
Kings of Leon
Son Volt

To name a few...

Son Volt? Never heard of them.. I'll check 'em out..

I like KOL and MMJ too..
Also Travis, Morning Runner, The National, Athlete, Elbow and Band Of Horses... all kinda the same "genre"

i was just at the local music shops yesterday and my focus turned to My Morning Jacket...almost picked up an album. i think something is telling me i should have. guess ill be going back sooner than i thought ( o darn)!

the list of bands to check out grows!!! love it.

~greg

Yes Greg, the production of Death Magnetic is rather disappointing. Given the state of the industry, it should have been expected. Seems they signed away too much say to Rick Rubin on how it should sound. Oh well. I have a version ripped from Guitar Hero 3 which sounds much better, but its the music that makes me a Metallica fan. All of it too...Im not a semi-fan like some. :)

ripping from GH 3 has been a common way around the album's "boost all levels to clipping" mentallity...a roommate of mine gets rolling stone mag...two or three issues ago had a few comments on this whole thing...im not as big a fan as i used to be...but i even like St. Anger, but my all-time fav. metallica is the S & M album (kinda obvious given my pref for symphonic metal). despite the reduction in favoritism, i owe them a lot in the steering of my current music pref. them and Ozzy (especially ozzfest, though ive only been to 2 dif years. I was extremely peeved when they made it a one day event this year...in Frisco, TX of all places)....

~greg

I like KOL and MMJ too..
Also Travis, Morning Runner, The National, Athlete, Elbow and Band Of Horses... all kinda the same "genre"

Tom check out their first album Trace. It is a little country a little rock but it is great. I do celebrate their entire catalog and all their albums are good, but Trace is great!

I like KOL and MMJ too..

I just saw MMJ in concert in Phoenix and Tucson and all I have to say is....WOW!!!

What an amazing live band. My ears hurt for a few days after but holy cow were they good!

I like KOL and MMJ too..

Ok one last quote...:bowdown:

Band of Horses is a great band but I have never heard any of the other bands. I will be on iTunes tonight :bowdown:

As with Sun Volt try Wilco ! or Sister Hazel ! They all have a similar house sound !

As with Sun Volt try Wilco ! or Sister Hazel ! They all have a similar house sound !

Yep! Wilco is also a great band, in my opinion of course. I am not familiar with Sister Hazel but I will check them out as well.

Back