Summit upgrade

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon Gray

Reaction score
FWIW, sent a message to Devin Zell regarding the above.

He informed me that ML has no definitive plans.

Seems that what has been rumored in the past may or may not be true.

Thought Summit owners might want to know.

GG

For what its worth they are fantastic the way they are! I have not heard the Spire but the Summit is the best Hybrid I have ever heard. I would own a pair in a second if my CLS were not so pleasing !

here here C.A.P !!!

that is what I have been saying all along. they are a fine speaker and do not need an "upgrade"

We may not think they need an upgrade, but it appears that ML does...witness the Summit X.

Perhaps that's just marketing.

Last edited:
We may not think they need an upgrade, but it appears that ML does...withness the Summit X.

Perhaps that's just marketing.

I agree that it's more about marketing and setting price points than it is about an "upgrade" in sound quality. There is now a gap in price from the Spire to the CLX. What they need is a $12,000 to $14,000 speaker, with "new" technology, of course. Call it whatever they want X, Y, Z or Plus ;)

Joe

I wish we could get TomDac to chime in on this if he is not bound by some confidentiality agreement on information he learned at ML when he went there to Audition the CLX.

Hey guys...

About a week ago I emailed Devin and told him I'd love to be an early adopter of the Summit X upgrade and to let me know when that program is rolled out.

He told me basically the same thing that Gordon posted, so maybe ML has decided not to do that.

Until ML introduces the Summit X, we really won't know the differences... Perhaps they made an additional change that wouldn't be a feasible thing to offer as an upgrade to current Summit owners.

Wish I had some inside scoop, but unfortunately I don't. :(

Hm... just a thought - Summit and Apogee mean more or less the same thing.

Kind of freaky... probably a co-incidence, but possibly inspired by Apogee Acoustics.

We need a new word for "higher than the highest point" for the Summit X's name, therefore:eek:

Er...

Here's another thought. Maybe the Summit was just too good in the bass department, and that hardly any Summit owner's bought Descents. Answer? Swap it out for one with less bass capability e.g. the Spire, for a bit less money, therefore teasing them into buying Descents eventually, for more overall $$$.

Call me a sceptic... and I am probably wrong. But am I? We will never know, I guess. Of course, there's no guarantee a Spire owner will feel the need, anyway.

Enter lots of comments from Spire owner's about how good the bass is:)

Last edited:
Not trying to jack your thread Gordon

Here's another thought. Maybe the Summit was just too good in the bass department, and that hardly any Summit owner's bought Descents. Answer? Swap it out for one with less bass capability e.g. the Spire, for a bit less money, therefore teasing them into buying Descents eventually, for more overall $$$.

Call me a sceptic... and I am probably wrong. But am I? We will never know, I guess. Of course, there's no guarantee a Spire owner will feel the need, anyway.

Enter lots of comments from Spire owner's about how good the bass is:)

Enter my comment about how good the bass is! It is absolutely miles ahead of the Vantage in my opinion. Mine are still fairly new (1 month) and I'm not certain my sub needs to go back in.

Gordon

I'm terrible with my Descent. Sometimes I have it so it is barely noticed. The next minute I have it set so all the walls are shaking and the house is close to structural damage...:devil::devil::devil::devil::devil:

Anyway, sorry, Gordon, well off track.

Last edited:
Never heard Summit or Spires.......................................

and would love to. I have the Ascents, and think they are "the cat's arse".:D
Are the Summits and Spires that much better than the Ascents, and if so in what regard? At times I think what I have is about as good as one could expect to have; given my room and associated electronics.
If you take a look at my system thread remember I have upgraded to some CJ gear that has not made it to my system page yet.
I will anxious to hear about the advantages to these speakers over what I have.

Doug - out

They're up to something! I hope it's good. "No definitive plans" is a load of codswallop - a company as big and successful as ML can't exist without plans!

They're up to something! I hope it's good. "No definitive plans" is a load of codswallop - a company as big and successful as ML can't exist without plans!

Well, I work in Product Development, and I can assure you that Martin Logan opperates simmilarly to us. We have Multi-Generational Product Plans (MGPP's) that run out 3-5 years with boatloads of financials that we are tracking regularly to see what does and does not get on our NPD Deck.

However, we wouldn't dream of sharing them with even our best customers no matter how much they might ask. You never know which customers might be talking to the competition or even become the competition.

We need a new word for "higher than the highest point" for the Summit X's name, therefore:eek:

Er...
"Higher than the highest point"? We're getting into the Ether here, Justin. The Martin Logan Ether? Nah ! The technogeeks will expect an Ethernet interface :eek:

"Higher than the highest point"? We're getting into the Ether here, Justin. The Martin Logan Ether? Nah ! The technogeeks will expect an Ethernet interface :eek:

Well, one one definition "Spire" and "Summit" mean the same thing, but there's another sense in which a spire could be something that sits on top of a summit. My guess is the next model will be Apex, which will basically be another synonym.

I had a Technogeek dream last night. Somehow, whilst connected to the internet, some malware got onto my laptop, travelled down the USB cable to the M-Audio Trasmit USB-to-Toslink converter, into the back of the Tri-Vista, and then into the servo mech firmware that controls the transport, therefore causing it to malfunction.

After that, I thought, what a great way to engineer built-in obsolescence! Beware, therefore, any hi-fi gadget that connects to a computa in any way.

Paranoid:eek:? Me:eek:? Click, pop - that's caused by bugs living in the vinyl. Relatives of the ones that live in computaz.:devil:

"Gonna get my Phd, I'm a teenage lobotomy". Joey Ramone.

For what its worth they are fantastic the way they are! I have not heard the Spire but the Summit is the best Hybrid I have ever heard. I would own a pair in a second if my CLS were not so pleasing !

Hi Chris,

Totally agree with you. My other all time favorite speaker was the CLS2A.

Although I must admit I really enjoyed the Aerius and SL3 when I had them in my system.

My hope is that perhaps there will be no Summit X and the original Summit will retain it's current status well into the future, much like the CLS and the various iterations thereof.

Gordon

Well, I work in Product Development, and I can assure you that Martin Logan opperates simmilarly to us. We have Multi-Generational Product Plans (MGPP's) that run out 3-5 years with boatloads of financials that we are tracking regularly to see what does and does not get on our NPD Deck.

However, we wouldn't dream of sharing them with even our best customers no matter how much they might ask. You never know which customers might be talking to the competition or even become the competition.

Don't worry - I didn't expect them to be sharing the plans - I'm just saying that it is BS that they don't have any!

Summit Upgrade

My dealer told me ML is working on the new Summits or what ever they are calling the replacement model and said the old retail price will look like a fire sale price compared to the cost of the new unite. Of course he could have been blowing smoke to entice me to make the purchase.

Back