Best mini sub

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

68sting

Reaction score
So whats the best mini sub on the market? I'm looking for a small sub for the family room.

Hmmm, well, "best" is relative right?

Are you planning to use it for LFE in an HT environment or for music? If it's for music, do you listen to St. Saens, Hugh Massekela or Dr. Dre?; i.e do you want it to blend smoothly, extend your soundstage and musical foundation or go BOOMfff-BOOMff-BOOMff like one of those wacky teenagers?

A buddy of mine has a Sunfire True Sub. I think it is about 11" cube and I thought it sounded very good. He just uses it for HT.

A buddy of mine has a Sunfire True Sub. I think it is about 11" cube and I thought it sounded very good. He just uses it for HT.
Even smaller is the Sunfire Super Jr @ 9" square. I use one in my MBR HT setup and it sounds great! Will it pass the music critical listening test? I dunno.

Sunfire True sub will move air if you have it set right. I own one and its a good sub. Its not gonna be the tightest bass but none the less its 20hz

Sunfire

A mini sub it is, like RUR, I have a True Sub Super Junior. I love that little guy for HT. I don't even boost the LFE signal. It fills in nicely. (It shook the room when I had it boosted on the adjustable AVR setting.) I find it to be a great middle ground between train crashes and a well-mixed open kick drum.
I saw there are at least two of them on Agon right now. I bet it would take some enormous tweeking to sound great musically. Just a guess.

Ben

No music or HT action. Just regular tv watching. I'm looking at the 8" sunfires and velodynes. It would be nice to spend less considering the use but I thought going this small might require a nicer unit to still perform. I have a lead on Sunfire Jr. for $300.

If that doesn't work, check out the Tannoy TS8...

Those are pretty nice too, I think about 400 new. I have Aperions
new dual 8" sub in right now, pretty darn good too. 450 new with free shipping both ways. If you don't like it you can send it back, on them!

Gotta step in here and throw in my support for the Martin Logan Depth(i). This little sub delivers the goods. It has 3 - 8" drivers, can push out 900 watts peak, and sounds fantastic with music as well as movies. If transient quickness and in-the-guts impact are both important to you, be sure to check this powerhouse out. Oh yeah...and it's good for an honest-to-God 20 Hz; mine goes to 16Hz (-6 db) in my room. That's bone-crushing, rattle the silverware drawer bass, fellas.....

It ain't the smallest or cheapest sub out there, at ~2K. But they can be found on the 'Gon for half that just about anyday of the week.

~VDR

Last edited:
No music or HT action. Just regular tv watching. I'm looking at the 8" sunfires and velodynes. It would be nice to spend less considering the use but I thought going this small might require a nicer unit to still perform. I have a lead on Sunfire Jr. for $300.

For TV & HT and at that price, go for the Sunfire. It's amazing with video, TV, DVD or BluRay...

For music, different story, I end up bypassing the sub for serious music lsiteneing.. too slow to keep up with Logans.

Good luck!

Back