Rear Wave

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I explained in the accompanying text and last portion of the video itself, I didn't feel we were entirely successful with this experiment. But some of the instruments were pretty close IMO. Perhaps you've never tried recording, but usually the disparity between what is heard in the room versus what is captured from five feet away by a microphone is much larger.

--Ethan

Yeah I record myself all the time, it's the best way to hear how well I am playing. I use a high quality condenser mic (much like the AT you feature) & preamp, which gives excellent results. And a Roland Edirol, which gives pretty good results.

Anyway, I liked the tune you played on the Cello - what is it?

Cello Rondo

Ethan,

Just watched the Cello Rondo video... I've been teaching myself how to play an acoustic upright bass and I love the sounds I've been able to get out of my 1950 Kay Bass. Watching you get all the different sounds from percussions to flamenco guitar and way beyond was really a treat:):):)

Satch

Ethan - I am not a fan of the bow, but I love the sound of a plucked Cello, bass, double bass etc.

That was an awesome piece of work, though. Be proud. And give me back my cat!

What kind of s/w did your business produce? Sequencers, by any chance:D?

Last edited:
Ah assembler - I remember that! Probably quite a lot of my assembler code is still flying.

Hey, I've even worked on your President's new chopper. In fact, I spent a few years working on it's flight control and autopilot code. The flight control was all in assembler - a mix of 80286 and 68000. Hopefully, it'll stay afloat:D

Last edited:
Howdy all,

Good thread.

For the last eight years, I've had the SL3's and then the Summits in my previous house and Summits in my current house.

The living / listening room was similar for both. 20' X 16 - 20' +/-. Vaulted ceilings. Large glass windows behind the speakers. Speaker panel out five feet from the back wall, eight feet apart, listening chair 11' or so from the front of the speakers, no solid wall behind the chair, minimum three feet from the outside edge of the speaker to the closest side wall, wood floors, and a large area rug between the speakers and the listening chair.

Only difference was what was between the speakers and the glass.

In my previous residence, I had adjustable 2" wood blinds on the windows. Very minor adjustments in the opening of the blinds made a huge difference in being able to "tune" the amount of reflection off the glass back into the room.

In my current residence, I have five plants (five to six feet tall) between the speakers and the windows. I also have the Marigo window tuning dots in all corners of each window.

The sound is certainly on the "live" side of the spectrum but not overbearing or beamy. No "added" sibilance, clean / extended top, good vocal intelligibility, tight mid / lower bass, very good stage dimensionality, quick transients, and the ability to clearly hear into the recording venue and relax / listen to the music for hours on end at levels ranging from 80 to 95DB peaks without thinking about the equipment and / or room.

Would additional treatment help? Maybe. Don't know because I haven't tried due to the visual impacts it would have on the room and the view out the window.

Am I happy with the overall sound? Absolutely.

Maybe it's the speaker placement within the room. Maybe it's the fact that I prefer a slightly more detailed sound versus something a tad more laid back.

Anyway, that's my input. A room with a lively acoustic character is not necessarily a bad thing.

Bottom line as we all know. Listen and decide.

GG

Last edited:
Hello Ethan

I have been spending a fair amount of time on the AVS Home Theater construction forum. Logans and other dipolar speakers are usually not recommended for home theater applications. Whats your thoughts on this? Can room treatments help with the short comings in this enviroment?

Thanks
Lance

Lance,

As the resident HT bigot around here, having designed my home around my HT, which in turn was designed around my ML set, I can confidently state: It works just fine.

However, one cannot just take a room of the appropriate dimensions and expect that to work. For any speaker, but especially for large line arrays and more so for large dipole line arrays (like MLS’s), the room acoustics are tricky and must be dealt with.

For standard dynamic speakers, the room acoustics interface is fairly straightforward to deal with, and always includes appropriate bass trapping and dealing with first reflections and other such stuff.

Large line arrays broadcast large ‘near field’ SPL profiles in the mid-range through the highs, this is a benefit, but comes with a price of dealing with more reflections from objects in room, walls behind the listener and possible HF room ‘ringing’ problems.

The fact that our ESL’s are dipoles leads to dealing with the rear wave has been discussed in this thread.

I strongly advocate isolating or dampening the rear wave, especially for HT purposes. As localization and frequency response smoothness improve dramatically.

Matter of fact, I’m now of the opinion that the ideal setup for large ESL’s is an infinite baffle alignment. This would require totally custom room design, but it would be totally killer sound-wise ;)

I’m planning to do that someday, with three CLX across the front in an IB alignment. Look for it someday.

See my system for current state of what I believe to be one of the cleanest, most powerful and musical systems I’ve ever heard. So the answer is it can be done and yes, it takes more effort, but the results are superior IMHO.

Very cool! :rocker:

Ah assembler - I remember that! Probably quite a lot of my assembler code is still flying.

Hey, I've even worked on your President's new chopper. In fact, I spent a few years working on it's flight control and autopilot code. The flight control was all in assembler - a mix of 80286 and 68000. Hopefully, it'll stay afloat:D

We've had quite a few people use a variety of our (and others') products with various dioples. There seems to be 2 different preferences:

- Corner absorption in the front corners, diffusion behind the panels scattering sideways, absorption between the speakers on the front wall

- Corner absorption in the rear corners, absorption behind the panels.

In either case, you're dealing with the rear wave of the panel to minimize comb filtering. I have a feeling that a lot of the preference between the 2 methods that most choose has a lot to do with how much space they can give the speakers and also with the general makeup of the rest of the room.

Bryan

Back