Why ML are not popular!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schnauzer/lover

Reaction score
As some of you may know, I had gotten my Martin Logans on the 4th of July. I already had a very nice setup 5.1 of the top of the line Definitives, and not even looking for other possibilities. I was inquiring about a high end DVD/CD players to complete my source components. This young kid on the other end of the phone line changes the subject to MLs, and said they would bring out the Vantage to my home for review. I said if you bring the DVD player I would listen to the ML as well. So they bring to my home the DVD player and the MLs. After listening to the DVD player I was very disappointed, after reading the reviews about it in a Audio mag. someone really got paid under the table! Then I listened to the MLs. Mind you I would have never known about ML if it were not for this young pushy kid. So I bought the Spires. Now I know why people do not buy ML, because with conventional speakers sound emanates from an enclosure(sometimes very pricey). With ML the main portion of the speaker you can look right through it, there is no enclosure. The musicians are released into the room, and after a music session half the liquor cabinet is cleaned out and the refridge raided, so how many people want to put up with that!:music:

Congradulations on your purchase.Hope you thanked the young chap. I am as awe struck by the ML sound and this is after 8 years and 2 pairs so far. Virtually , nothing compares to them. When I encounter a room at audio shows that have ML's , it is a welcome releif.

By the way , hope you have a good source to get the most out of the spires.

Cheers

Thank you! In all seriousness, the word just is not out there and many do not know what they are missing. Bob

Congradulations on your purchase.Hope you thanked the young chap. I am as awe struck by the ML sound and this is after 8 years and 2 pairs so far. Virtually , nothing compares to them. When I encounter a room at audio shows that have ML's , it is a welcome releif.

By the way , hope you have a good source to get the most out of the spires.

Cheers

Me too. I had a pair Aerius for a decade then I decided to get Focal JM Lab with their Berylium tweeter. Now that was an expensive lesson. After eight months the Summits came out and the JM Labs went back. I am so hooked. I know that there are speakers with better dynamics and accuracy but I like acoustic music, jazz and blues. Nothing does it better anywhere near the price.

Thank you! In all seriousness, the word just is not out there and many do not know what they are missing. Bob

I agree. But I think it's just that the average consumer thinks that Bose speakers are high end. Being a watch collector I run into the same mentality. People will recognize a Seiko or Movado and say... Wow! Nice watch! and no one (aside from a select few) will notice an Omega or Breitling. Same goes for the ML's.

Best sellers . . . . . .

They say "best sellers" are "ill smellers" (Bose, B+O) so I never worried about ML's brand identity. I'm sure ML's new sales VP would be happy if ML became a household word but I think he should take a cue from companies like McIntosh, ARC, and JBL: just keep on truckin' and leave the greed to others. In it's quarter-century history, ML, like the others I just mentioned, has never once had a problem staying in business. On the contrary, it has always posted modest but steady year over year sales increases.

Most people who encounter ML for the first time at my house are blown away by the sound ,of course, but they really flip out over the look and the technology. So when I tell them I've owned my speakers for 17 years, they act like I'm either lying, or questioning their cultural awareness.

Don't worry about "the others" Bob. They still think the CERN neutron collider is going to swallow the universe! Just be glad you've crossed over; and welcome to the Club!

I'm with Neil on this one... as long as ML continues to make good products, I won't care if they become a household name....

Like Neil, I have had several friends/guests visit the house and take an interest in the look of the speakers and after hearing them are totally blown away. I have had 4 converts to ML's after hearing them at my house. Most people have never heard of them or seen them. Amazing to me...

I forgot that one (seeing first, then hearing)

Like Neil, I have had several friends/guests visit the house and take an interest in the look of the speakers and after hearing them are totally blown away. I have had 4 converts to ML's after hearing them at my house. Most people have never heard of them or seen them. Amazing to me...

What are those? Room dividers?

No, they're my speakers . . . . .

Your what?

My stereo!! :banghead:

Well, where does the sound come out . . . . . ?

Ya wanna hear 'em?

OK :eek:

here ya go . . . . . . .

SHHHIT!!

Last edited:
Yeah, I have fun demoing my system to others who have big-buck systems, but have never heard a wel setup ML. They've heard of them, and sometimes heard a demo in a store.

But everyone whose auditioned this system is flabbergasted, they simply can't believe how accurate it is. especially since the room treatments and the new Denon Pre with the Audyssey Pro room correction, I'm getting reactions fromm 'man that's cool' to 'How much for the house with the system included?'

I personally enjoy the fact that most people do not no what an electrostatic
speaker is. I will admit that I am a small time elitist and would like to keep it that way.

Yeah, I have fun demoing my system to others who have big-buck systems, but have never heard a wel setup ML. They've heard of them, and sometimes heard a demo in a store.

But everyone whose auditioned this system is flabbergasted, they simply can't believe how accurate it is. especially since the room treatments and the new Denon Pre with the Audyssey Pro room correction, I'm getting reactions fromm 'man that's cool' to 'How much for the house with the system included?'

I think corporate should really be pushing the dealers to set up the speakers properly in well treated rooms. This would mean more $, more research, better and cheaper products, etc.

when I auditioned my vistas this ceiling tiles at tweeter where rattling
that is really weak in my opinion.

Back