SL3's/upper freq

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khenegar

Reaction score
I have owned my SL3's for quite awhile i have noticed lately that when i go listen to someones else's system that my mine seems to be lacking in the upper frequenices compared to theres. They are in a clean enviroment and haven't been played that much. I clean them often. I am using Bryston amps and a Lexicon MC12 processor with a Oppo 980H player. thanks for any replys on this.

what other system did you compare too? some others have A glaring high end.

Is this dramtic or just a slight difference?
is your room very dead? and how are the accustics of these other rooms?
are both sl3 panels the same tone? and power?

Last edited:
Yes - what else is in their systems. ie. bright components or even cables. I can certainly say that the Vistas (and any Gen2 panelled speaker I'd think) for one are a brighter speaker than the older generation Aerius I had previously (with new panels before anyone says anything). Don't know about Revel.

BUT - sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it does sound like your panels are going. Not playing them doesn't really affect the life - it is environmental pollution. Have they been exposed to smoke? - if so, then that is your answer.

By that, I mean is there smoke in your house or is there not. We had a problem here a few days ago where the person said "no" simply because he didn't smoke in the audio *room* - too bad cigarette smoke doesn't just stay in the room in which you're smoking !! We were all scratching our heads wondering how his panels could be shot only to find out he was puffing away in the room next door.......

Last edited:
It really looks like smoke kills everything!

sl3's

the speakers are in a smoke free environment, the panels were replaced 2 years ago and they both have an output level the same. the other systems had hi-end equipment, Levinson and krell, speaker cable i did not notice what they had. My room is not dead if anything a little lively. Maybe i am expecting too much from them and they are suppose to sound as they do, i will have to invite the other people over to see what they think. One person before mention that the system was very quiet (background noise) and the upper end was a little rolled off. this person had Maggies 1.6's.

I have owned my SL3's for quite awhile i have noticed lately that when i go listen to someones else's system that my mine seems to be lacking in the upper frequenices compared to theres. They are in a clean enviroment and haven't been played that much. I clean them often. I am using Bryston amps and a Lexicon MC12 processor with a Oppo 980H player. thanks for any replys on this.

Synergy for MLs can be critical. I had the same issue with a new McIntosh MC402. I borrowed an old Bryston and it wasn't that good. I think the SST models are better but I have no experience there. The Classe CA-2200 does the trick for me now. It has great frequency extension without any harshness at all, although that can mostly be attributed to the McIntosh tube pre-amp.

Back