System #269 (Ascent i)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Pohopien

Reaction score
Name: Paul

ML Model: Ascent-i

Purchased: August 2008

Mods: None

Associated Electronics:
Amps - Bryston 7B monoblocks
CDP - Sony XA7-es
Pre - Rowland Coherence 1
Nordost Blue Heaven Bi-wire speaker cables
Nordost Blue Heaven interconnects
Audioquest AC15 power cables (for Ascent-i's)
Cardas Golden Reference power cable

"Tweaks":
All connections treated with Caig ProGold
Auralex 2" Foam Wedge Panels behind speakers and rear wall
DIY Bass tubes in rear corners

After many years of listening enjoyment to both numerous Martin Logan models and numerous DIY systems....I'm happy to be back in the ML camp with a set of Ascent-i's. I must say, there's just a certain magic to ML that conventional speaker designs cannot beat. And I've tried, using the best ribbon tweeters and ceramic Accuton midranges.....but to no avail.

I'm happy to say I have a dedicated listening room, and am working on additional treatments for the walls.....really makes a difference! My pic currently has all the treatments removed as I was in the middle of swapping locations of the foam panels when I snapped the pic. I promise to upload better, more interesting pics later.

Attachments

• ML Club.jpg
    ML Club.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 1,961
Nice looking system. I look forward to seeing your pictures with the acoustic treatments in place when you get it all set up. Just love those lights!!:rocker:

Update 11/1/08

Finally got around to placing absorbtion panels behind the speakers and some DIY tube traps in the listening area. I'm definitely going to be spending more money in this area, having something immediatly behind the speakers just seemed to round out the sound, making a slightly fuller presentation with regards to the lower ranges. There's simply no way I'm listening to logans without some type of absorbtion....period.

The middle picture is simply the listening area. Works for me, although I'm looking for an ottoman to rest my feet and cool beverage on.:D

The last pic is a closeup of some DIY cable lifters. I don't know if they do anything, although they look cool and were pretty simply to construct....so what the heck.

FYI: The room is fairly well sized, about 14 feet wide by 22 deep.

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 1,344
  • listening area.jpg
    listening area.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 1,323
  • cable lifters.jpg
    cable lifters.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 2,295
Holy crap in a pita- I love your setup here. Intelligent use of lighting. I find with a lot of the larger (and older) speakers, backlighting prevents them from seeming too heavy. Makes them seem lighter, more friendly. Mimics the transparent sounds they make, eh?

::I wrote this response to the first picture you have up here, with the green room.. I didn't see the updated ones! Has a classier tone, now. Still very well designed!::

Try to tilt the Ascent by loosening the two rear spikes. Tilting will affect the mid a great deal.
I have done it.

Back