Prodigy Panels

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Panel update,

Did speak to Jim Powers and he agreed that the holes on the new panels had to be slotted with a drill bit and they are up and running :^)
They sound great,thought maybe being 54 I was losing the highs but that is not the case.
I will let them break in as Jim said probably around 200 hours.
Don't remember break in time as they were demo's when I bought them.

Thank you all for your input during this.

My Best,
Bob

just out of curiasoty

what are the symptoms of a bad crossover?

Hi FISH MAN,
I think JonFo would be better to answer that question than I from what I have seen him write.

Regards,
Bob

FishMan, a bad crossover can have multiple symptoms, but the more common ones are:
  • Frequency balance change - Due to capacitor degradation (age) or failure
  • Loss of Volume - Due to resistor or coil failure (rare, but if humidity rusts some part...)
  • Distorted sound, low volume - Due to blown ESL audio step-up transformer. This one happens if an amp overdrives the transformer and melts its wiring.
All of the above are pretty rare, but in the years on this board, we’ve seen reports of all three. And over at DIYaudio.com, those guys can probably relay several more ways in which they could fail.

Hi Robert,

I did try your cleaning method and was quite surprised as to what came off from the cleaning.
I did just vacuum and am still in the same boat so to speak so I will now call M-L,bummer.
My wife did make a good point though that we don't smoke in the stereo room but it is allowed in the dining room near the audio room so the door to my room will be closed from now on.

Regards,
Bob

My main problem, I smoke, and even more when consuming booze. HIC. HIC I am going to smoke outside in my back yard from now on, mind you the kitchen and diner are separate from my listening room which is the living as well.I just forked out for new panels for my Quest Z, these speakers are my baby!

My main problem, I smoke, and even more when consuming booze. HIC. HIC I am going to smoke outside in my back yard from now on, mind you the kitchen and diner are separate from my listening room which is the living as well.I just forked out for new panels for my Quest Z, these speakers are my baby!

As I said earlier, if you smoke in one room it fills the house. Surprisingly, smoke doesn't just disappear!

As I said earlier, if you smoke in one room it fills the house. Surprisingly, smoke doesn't just disappear!

I also light candles it helps to clear the smoke. Many years ago during my student nurse days a retired part time nurse informed me.

Hi Lonergan,I don't know what kind of heating system you have but I have forced hot air and have installed hepa filters at the furnace as well as the supply grill to my room and checked the filter after a few weeks and it is clean and also keep the audio room door closed.

Best,
Bob

I also light candles it helps to clear the smoke. Many years ago during my student nurse days a retired part time nurse informed me.

You cannot destroy matter - how's a candle going to remove the smoke particles? Where is it going to go? Anyway - the particles are probably not the issue - it is the horrid sticky nicotine and tar that you are breathing into yourself that sticks all over the panels.

Look at something in your house that doesn't get disturbed too often - the top of a metal window blind rod is a good start - how much sticky filth is up there? 'Cos that's what is ruining your panels......

Last edited:
FishMan, a bad crossover can have multiple symptoms, but the more common ones are:
  • Frequency balance change - Due to capacitor degradation (age) or failure
  • Loss of Volume - Due to resistor or coil failure (rare, but if humidity rusts some part...)
  • Distorted sound, low volume - Due to blown ESL audio step-up transformer. This one happens if an amp overdrives the transformer and melts its wiring.
All of the above are pretty rare, but in the years on this board, we’ve seen reports of all three. And over at DIYaudio.com, those guys can probably relay several more ways in which they could fail.

I'm having some loss of output from one of my Prodigys, and can't seem to get it closer than its a speaker problem.
It just showed up over night, and now im missing 3-4dB on my left speaker.
Do you think this could be a resistor/coil problem?
Also worth mentioning, is that I cant hear any diff. when disconecting mains on either of my Prodigys.
If I disconect mains on my Script I, I can hear very easy.

Sorry if my spellings bad, I'm from abroad (Denmark).

5 year warranty.To keep the panels clean longer put an Ion air purifier in the same room.Your speaker actually acts as an Ion purifier by attracting the dust everytime it is charged.The Ion air purifier uses a charge to attract the same dust and dirt particles.This will keep the air clean when the panels become charged.I talked with Jim Powers years ago about what I wanted to do and he highly recommended it.

Never heard about such a thing.....do you have a link?

Anyway, I think I might be kind of scr****, in 2006 I bought a set of Aeon I, they were demo models I was told. They have been working fine, but I havent used them much really. I vacuumed them anyway once a week etc.
Now I measured them, ref my answer in another thread here with measurements, and I seem to have a little problem.
I then checked the serial numbers, and to my amazement I discovered the speakers were actually from february 2003. So, they "have been demo models for 3 years...."
I didnt know this...never thought about it.
In this country you have a warranty, but you also have a right to complain for 5 years if problems arises.
I really really dont want to tell the wife I need new panels already, she is gonna freak....

Washing Prodigy Panel

I had an issue w/ one of my speakers which had a > 50% loss in the highs/mids. I took the crossover to a shop and they gave it a clean bill, swapped out the panels (left to right) and found the R-panel to be the problem. I reluctantly removed and washed the panel following the direction from this forum..... all I can say is WOW!!

I'm 100% back in the saddle!

When you've got a loss...don't walk your panel to the shower RUN!!:bowdown:

I had a look at the speakers, but I do not have the right tools.
Problem is, the Aeon I has a plastic bracket at the bottom of the panel, where the LED light is situated. This bracket must come off first and those screws are not hex, they are suare, and I am missing that kind of "screwdriver".
A bit hard to explain, but I cannot follow the "washing manual" like you mention, the Quest is another animal....
The wires going from the enclosure in the Aeon I to the panels are extremely short, I see the wires on the panel, and they disappear down into a hole. I am afraid that if I lifte the panels left side, and make it stand up on its right side, where the wires are, then there is a risk the wires get damaged if the panel falls for some reason.
I must get the plastic bracket off, lift the panel from the left side (seen from the front), hold it there, and then, there is a small hatch in the enclosure with 3 screws in it, my guess is that if I take these screws out and open the latch, in that hole there will be the wires going to the panel, hopefully they are attached with screws in there. If so I can just unscrew them and then the wires are loose. But, I have no idea what I will find in that hole...
So, to me, its very tricky to get the panels off an Aeon I....but, eventually I hope I will figure out, and I will post my findings....

The panels have a 5-year warranty from the day you purchased the speakers.If you bought them as a demo,that does not matter.If you have your receipt and it is within 5 years,I would contact your dealer or Martin Logan.There is no link for the air purifier.I have always used an air purifier in the same room as my speakers and electronics.ML speakers act like an Ion purifier.When they are turned on the charge starts attracting all the dust particles that is in the air.By using a Ion purifier,the purifier itself attracts and pulls in the dust and blows out the filtered cool air.This allows your speakers to be turned on in a room with vastly less dust and dirt particles in the air.I discussed this at length with Jim Powers and he said it was a great idea.Anything you can do to limit contaminents to the speakers will extend the life of them.

Well, i contacted the shop where I bought them, they say they got the speakers from the Martin Logan "importer" in late 2004, so they were app. 1 1/2 years old then. The shop denies any responsability, and urged me to contact either ML or the "importer" company. I contacted ML and they referred me to the "importer" when asking for the price on new panels...

I bought them as demo models in may 2006, and yes, I knew they were demo models.
Now there is a problem with uneven frequency response, even though I vacuum them once a week, and frankly, I hardly ever use the speakers really.
Do I have a case? I will ask the importer.....

Back