Tuner Magnum Dynalab MD-101 T vs Fanfare FT-1A

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abhijit

Reaction score
I have been using AKAI KT-5020 Tuner for the last 15 years. I observed some problems with the vintage stuff now. I am thinking of upgrading my tuner either to Magnum Dynalab MD-101 T or Fanfare FT1A Mark III. Can anyone suggest me which one to go for?

I have been using AKAI KT-5020 Tuner for the last 15 years. I observed some problems with the vintage stuff now. I am thinking of upgrading my tuner either to Magnum Dynalab MD-101 T or Fanfare FT1A Mark III. Can anyone suggest me which one to go for?

Find an old tubed tuner and live in FM sonic bliss.

The MD FT 101 has not been available new for several years. You can find them fairly frequently on Audiogon. The new models are the MD90,100, 102, 106, 108 and 109. These are all available with triode vacuum tube output stages. Each one is more expensive than the previous one. I owned the FT101a and then the MD102. The 102 was superior in every respect. The factory, however, gave me a chance to trade my 102 for a BRAND NEW 106-T. That tuner proved to be a revelation. It is very quiet, sensitive and sounds great. Frequently, live broadcast sound better than cds. You might be able to pick one up used. That one would be my choice if price were not an issue.

Last edited:
Absolutely. Check http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7190&highlight=scott+350. Nobody said anything, but this is a great tuner. I know it beggars belief, but when re-tubed with the best NOS tubes you can find, it is excellent.

Somehow, all the Scott references turned red. I am sure I didn't do that! Freaky...

Folks, unlike the Magnum, which only has tubes in the output stage, the vintage tuners are entirely tubes, and are hard-wired, which means NO CIRCUIT BOARDS!

If you opt for an older, all tube tuner, don't forget it will probably have to be aligned. This requires someone with a great deal of expertise and service equipment and will cost a bunch of bucks too.

And still worth it!

Absolutely. Trust SundayNiagra! Try Audiogon or ebay first, and if we're wrong, sell it. Only - you won't sell it:)

To be sure, try and buy a fully tubed old Mac, Scott, Fisher etc that has been recently serviced. It will cost more, but hey... that's the way it goes.

Then relax to some of the best FM sounds around.

What about all of the commercials on FM? Since getting Sirius satellite radio for the car, I don't listen to regular FM. I think there are some sat radios with digital out so you can connect a DAC. That could be an option.
Torry

What about all of the commercials on FM? Since getting Sirius satellite radio for the car, I don't listen to regular FM. I think there are some sat radios with digital out so you can connect a DAC. That could be an option.
Torry

Fortunately, here in South Florida, (Miami) we have 3 public stations, one 24 hr jazz, one 24 hr classical and the third, which carries NPR/PRI programming and plays some jazz, so screaming commercials are not a problem

Back