CLX Review from The Show Denver

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boxeater

Reaction score
Martin Logan CLX.jpg

Just demoed the CLXs at The Show Denver.

The flat panel is the base, the curved linear source panel is the "tweeter."

There is a rear extension to interrupt bass wrap around.

Demo music: coral, Stones stripped, and a track from the artist formerly known as Prince.

Speakers were set well (~10 ft) from the rear wall.

Impression: interesting homage to the CLS. I really like the classic CLS. In fact, I think I like the classic speaker because it does what it does better than the new CLX. Just my opinion and I did not do a direct AB comparison.

If you want a seamless electrostat the classic cant be beat. The new speaker relies on a much smaller curved panel to radiate the majority of the information you will hear, and the flat bass panel is probably essentially nondirectional.

Don't get me wrong, it does sound nice, and perhaps it was the demo or the set up, but I wasn't $25 grand impressed, and I went to the show to bu¥ the speakers.

Hope this is helpful.

-Boxeater

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear that you didn't have a higher opinion of it. The event goes through tomorrow, right? I'm going to try to get down there in the morning and give it a listen.

Don't get me wrong, it does sound nice, and perhaps it was the demo or the set up, but I wasn't $25 grand impressed, and I went to the show to bu¥ the speakers.

Shows are not exactly the ideal conditions under which to test a speaker! I'd strongly recommend an audition of the CLX at your local dealer to get a real feel for them...

Impression: interesting homage to the CLS. I really like the classic CLS. In fact, I think I like the classic speaker because it does what it does better than the new CLX. Just my opinion and I did not do a direct AB comparison.

If you want a seamless electrostat the classic cant be beat. The new speaker relies on a much smaller curved panel to radiate the majority of the information you will hear, and the flat bass panel is probably essentially nondirectional.

Hm, now this is interesting coming from someone who has heard both... we shouldn't forget that just because a product is newer, with a high $ tag, means it is much better than what has gone before it.

Any idea what was driving them? I am sure the CLX will be very transparent to source, and this may be an indication of what NOT to use with them.

There is also the show paradox factor - manufs need them to show off and get publicity, but conversely they are usually NOT the best environment to show them off in. However, I do believe shows can give you a pretty good idea - if you hang around in the demo room long enough, and get to hear something you have at least some familiarity with...

I obviously can't see the whole room, nor do I know what those components they are connected to are, but the setup doesn't look too terrible. One thing, though, is that the CLXs appear to be placed parallel to the wall, or very close to it. Shouldn't they be angled more towards the listening position?

View attachment 8224

-Boxeater

I mentioned in my mini review of the CLX under my system's page that, as ML want them installed (upright), the midrange was as if coming out of a cone, and the dealer had them tilted back for better tonal balance - this is opposite of how they had set up the Summits before (tilted forward). Will be interesting to see what CLX owners will eventually report... I still have not decided whether I like the CLXes or not, though.

Last edited:
Back