System #262 (Spire)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omnidrums

Reaction score
Name: Will

This system currently resides in my bedroom!
M-L: Spire in Black Ash

Amplification: McIntosh MC275

Pre: Primare PRE30

Source: Primare CD31

Cables: AudioQuest Mont Blanc, Colorado XLR

Rack: BDI

Power Conditioner: Panamax Max5400PM

Comments: I am waiting for the stat panels to break in but off the bat I can already tell that these are some of the cleanest sounding ML's I have heard. I love the way the panel integrates with the woofer and there isn't a hint of any coloration in any frequency. The tricky part is getting the subs to not overpower me in my small room. These speakers have ridiculous amounts of low bass.

DSC04979.jpg

Upright1.jpg

upright2.jpg

DSC04973.jpg

DSC04976.jpg

Last edited:
Will,

Welcome ! Those "Spires" look overpowering in that small room !

Glad to see another happy tube person, seeing that you have the Mac "275" I suspect Neil (nsgarch) will give you his secret handshake !

I love your equipment, color me jealous!

The setup is very clean and nice, but I can't help but wonder if there are too many reflecting soundwaves in such a small space.

Cleanest sounding

"I am waiting for the stat panels to break in but off the bat I can already tell that these are some of the cleanest sounding ML's I have heard".

Have you compared the Spires to the Summits?

Can you expand on the "cleanest sounding ML's I have heard"?

Thanks!

Joe

clean and simple !

I love it the way it should be it looks really good.

A chair in the sweet spot ???

I also love the low end of my spires

Last edited:
That looks just as it should, wonderful! I'd love to give the Spires a listen to.

I have compared Spires directly with Summits on the same wall with the same gear. I always have loved Summits and never had any complaints about them in any way. What is really interesting is that the Spires make the Summits sound like its' bass colors the midrange a bit. I'm not saying that Summits sound colored or muddy but hearing them after hearing the Spires made me feel that way.

When I say 'cleanest sounding' I guess the best way I can describe that is a direct comparison to the CLX. The CLX just sounds to free of anything that could potentially get in the way of the music. The Spires a similar kind of quality. The sound is in my opinion more like a finely tuned Summit with less bass. Their new crossover is brilliant and I will be very curious to hear the Summit X.

These speakers are crushing my room. The bass gets a bit out of control when I start cranking but at a medium volume they sound fantastic. I have a bit more work to do with placement but that will come after the panels are broken in. In the meantime I will be enjoying these along with a nice Maker's on the rocks.

OK here is a bit of a tease... do you want your MC275 to sound awesome? Tell me which power tubes you have installed (make and model e.g. 6550 or KT88) and I'll tell you if they are OK or not:)

I am an ex-KT88 tube roller and currently a 211 nutcase... believe me, the power tube type you have in there will make a BIG difference to the SQ coming out of that Mac. Like, REALLY!!! This assumes, of course, that you haven't already "rolled".

Very pretty system, BTW! And welcome...

Last edited:
I haven't rolled yet but I am planning on it sometime down the road. I haven't heard any other tubes aside from the stock ones they put in the 275 and to me they sound great.

WOW!
Man this is one fine looking system (and no doubt sounding also). I really like the style and matching your components. I bet I would be more than happy with system like yours!
Acoutics could be a bit problematic. You could try some tubetraps in the corners behind the speakers. These will give some dampening to the whole frequency range. Don't go with simple panels only as this will result in increased low frequency boom...

Posted a few more pics!

Thanks for all of the advice. I am surprised at how great this system sounds already but down the road I will be looking into some acoustic manipulation. I may hit all four corners with some traps to start.

Glad to see another happy tube person, seeing that you have the Mac "275" I suspect Neil (nsgarch) will give you his secret handshake !

That is funny right there in it self.

I agree with Twitch ! Get them in a bigger room.! You will really hear what they are capable of.

Someday :)

Believe me I totally understand. For now though I am happy falling asleep to my Logans every night.

I haven't rolled yet but I am planning on it sometime down the road. I haven't heard any other tubes aside from the stock ones they put in the 275 and to me they sound great.

The stock ones are probably Electro Harmonix. I must admit that IS one of the few I haven't heard, but apparently, it IS very good. Also very good is the Tung-Sol 6550 - but it MUST be the original NOS one. The E.A.T. will blow your EHs and the Tung-Sol away... dodgy ground because I haven't heard the EH, but I JUST BET IT DOES. TRUST ME - IT IS EXCELLENT sonically. Now for the bad part - the filaments can go relatively quickly. But they are so outstanding it IS WORTH IT.

Just search for E.A.T. KT88 in Google. I am sure it is the Tesla Vrsovice tube, no matter what you may read about Vrsovice being shut.

JJ Telsa - not bad, not bad at all. Sovtek - not too good. Chinese (Valve Art), not great, but for the money comparitively they are fine value - very clean sounding - if you hear them you will know what I mean by that.

Please note the original Gold Lion KT88 and GECs are probably ace too... though I didn't shell out for them. Neil (nsgarch) - what do you think about the GL in your 275, if you see this?

In short, there are BIG differences in KT88 sound quality between manufacturers... far more so than with my 211 collection... but they differ too.

Last edited:
Love it!! :bowdown: The Spires are the speaker that I would really like to get someday. Also, the Mac looks fantastic; I know that I have really enjoyed mine. But as for the secret handshake I'm still waiting to learn it myself.:D

yes

the spires are the shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!
sorry I am enjoying a good glass of scotch and thought I would just have to say that the spires really truly rock!

system

very nice looking system your equipment stand looks like it is waiting for a turntable to be mounted on top of it. anything in the future?

Back