Wine & Cheese Thread

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(the Big Cheese)

If you're going to say "cheese" then we should discuss that too. What better accompaniment to good wine is some good cheese? My standard dinner when my wife is working is Scarpantoni and King Island cheese......

My personal favourite, King Island Double Brie.....

Attachments

• ki.gif
    ki.gif
    18.6 KB · Views: 172
  • ki2.jpg
    ki2.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 170
  • ki3.jpg
    ki3.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 167
If you're going to say "cheese" then we should discuss that too. What better accompaniment to good wine is some good cheese?
Agreed !!! Then let's call it the "Wine & Cheese Thread".

My standard dinner when my wife is working is Scarpantoni and King Island cheese......

My personal favourite, King Island Double Brie.....
I have no such problem when my wife is working as I am the cook at home; my wife stopped cooking when she lost the recipe for toast. BTW I'm damn good at it.

"Jack be Nimble"

Jack anyone? Its the mid shelf, but won't break the bank.

Doug - out

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    5.1 KB · Views: 162
Just don't tell me you have a case of Opus 1 stashed in the back there Tom. I'm going to be in Emeryville in a couple of weeks Tom, what say I come over and help you get rid of some of that!?

Hey Tim,
I had a bottle of Opus 1 on just one occasion (many years ago) and it was NOT good. Don't remember the vintage.. I wanna say 1995, but I'm not sure. Maybe 1998? We ordered it at a upscale restaurant in San Francisco and sent it back. Maybe a bad bottle?

Never heard of Cakebread, but now I'll have to try it out. There are SO many good wines... I also like Heitz Cellar's Martha's Vineyard Cab.. Very tasty. http://www.heitzcellar.com/store/index.cfm?fuseaction=view&category_id=34

I'm totally up for some vino when you come out next. Say the word.

Tom.

my wife stopped cooking when she lost the recipe for toast. BTW I'm damn good at it.

Unfortunately in our house, I'm the one that stopped cooking when I lost the recipe for toast. I can pour a glass of wine and cut some cheese though!

I prefer sparkling wines myself. Schramsberg's Brut Rosé is probably my favorite one that doesn't break the bank.

I went to Cakebread last time I was in Napa, and actually thought it was some of the worst wine I had there. It might just be because I'm not partial to cab, but maybe it's worth trying again.

I prefer sparkling wines myself. Schramsberg's Brut Rosé is probably my favorite one that doesn't break the bank.
I like sparklers too, my favourite from the "Napa" region being the ones from Domaine Carneros. Prefer them to Mumm and Domaine Chandon. The Domaine Carneros building (styled like a French chateau) is well worth seeing. I once spent a wonderful afternoon on the terrasse there eating pate and crackers and drinking a nice sparkler.

In 1995 I bought a wonderful 1994 Pinot Noir there (that they only sold at the winery). Unfortunately, airport security being what it is, I can no longer bring back wine except if I buy it from the duty-free store. Sigh!

Unfortunately in our house, I'm the one that stopped cooking when I lost the recipe for toast. I can pour a glass of wine and cut some cheese though!
Please don't talk about cutting the cheese here. We are discussing things epicurean ! :p

Bernard, I'm not familiar with Carneros, but have you tried Schramsberg (which is also a Napa wine)? It's at least as highly regarded as Chandon, and in my opinion there's no comparison between the two. J Schram is their most renowned wine, which may not be my favorite, but I'd say it's a must-try if you favor chardonnay.

Last edited:
Bernard, I'm not familiar with Carneros, but have you tried Schramsberg (which is also a Napa wine)? It's at least as highly regarded as Chandon, and in my opinion there's no comparison between the two.
Can't say I have. I'll look for it when next I'm Stateside.

My Two Favourite Cheeses

Here are my two favourite cheeses. The Boursin I like is the herb one (foreground). Great for making appetizers, stuffing chicken, etc. The P'tit Basque is an amazing sheep's milk cheese; too bad it's very expensive ($30 for 1.3lb). They are both from France.

Attachments

• boursin.jpg
    boursin.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 226
  • Ptit Basque.jpg
    Ptit Basque.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
A Chateau LaFite 1818 would work very well for me, but nobody will buy me one!:rolleyes:
But I am enjoying some Monopolowa vodka from Austria. It's the real deal; distilled from potatoes, not grain! Best vodka I've ever had. Best served @ 32 deg. F.

But I am enjoying some Monopolowa vodka from Austria. It's the real deal; distilled from potatoes, not grain! Best vodka I've ever had. Best served @ 32 deg. F.

So much for this being the wine and cheese thread!
If you like potato vodka, you should try Chopin, if you haven't before.

I've also been meaning to try Ultimat, but haven't gotten around to it yet. It's a blend of potato, wheat, and rye vodkas... Unfortunately, I already have enough vodka for a lifetime.

Feltran, have you tried the Gloria Ferrer sparklers from Napa? They are quite nice.

I had a bottle of the Sonoma Brut in my cellar, which I'm sipping on right now. I've definitely had much better, but the price is right. Value in food and drink is the secret to high end audio equipment! ;)

The music goes round and round (then goes through a bunch of wire, glass, silicon and wine) and comes out here...:puke:

Just saw this - HAHAHA..........and after this happens, the room tends to be spinning 'round and 'round just as fast as the music!

For some strange reason, my camera can never capture that effect......

Just saw this - HAHAHA..........and after this happens, the room tends to be spinning 'round and 'round just as fast as the music!

For some strange reason, my camera can never capture that effect......
That's probably because you are using a digital camera ! :p

Back