Wine & Cheese Thread

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must say I've never seen (or had) a wine from BC (or even Canada)!! We don't really get that many wines from the US to be honest - I'm not sure why - must be the terms of trade or something which makes them not viable, because we get plenty of South American ones.

But I've never seen one from Canada. It's a challenge - I'll have to go on a hunt now. What do you suggest as a signature style?

http://www.winebc.com/wines

Here's a link for you to look at if you'd like. I know our wines compete favorably with any of the best wines produced around the world. Offerings from Burrowing Owl, Laughing Stock, Mission Hill and Nk'mip are among my favorites, but there are dozens or great wineries producing delicious and unique varieties. You may also like to try some BC Ice wine, served chilled after a meal as a desert wine such as when you may be inclined to enjoy Sauternes or a Noble Wine.

Well, if you're not a dessert wine fan, then I wouldn't recommend an 80 dollar investment in a bottle of ice wine :). Having said that, I haven't tried those particular wines, but I've enjoyed Inniskillen wines for years. Inniskillen is on the Naramata Bench in BC.

How about a Sauternes with foie gras?

Mmmm, Sauternes is a real treat. I will do a comparison of Sauternes and BC Ice Wine this summer at some point. Fois Gras is a treat too, but I leave that for very special occasions because I have some difficulty with the moral aspect of its' production. With Sauternes, a trip to Les Amis de Fromage downtown is a beforehand necessity. I think that Epoisse and Tomme de Savoie are just the ticket.

Mmmm, Sauternes is a real treat. I will do a comparison of Sauternes and BC Ice Wine this summer at some point. Fois Gras is a treat too, but I leave that for very special occasions because I have some difficulty with the moral aspect of its' production. With Sauternes, a trip to Les Amis de Fromage downtown is a beforehand necessity. I think that Epoisse and Tomme de Savoie are just the ticket.
I've never had Époisse with Sauternes; hell, I've never had Sauternes that often (too rich for my pocket), but I can see how the two would go well together.

There's an American chef (Jeremiah Tower) who claims that Sauternes goes well with roast beef!

I've never had Époisse with Sauternes; hell, I've never had Sauternes that often (too rich for my pocket), but I can see how the two would go well together.

There's an American chef (Jeremiah Tower) who claims that Sauternes goes well with roast beef!

Honestly, I believe Sauternes will go with anything. To be clear, I have indulged on occasion, but I'm not a regular consumer.

Well, Ice Wine isn't rotten. The grapes are harvested in the middle of the night of the first frost in the fall. Produces a deliciously sweet dessert wine. Very tasty indeed, and no mites or rot necessary.

fox creek.jpgTonight's wine. No rot involved, and really nice!! Intense, deep and just a wild ride - so many flavours I don't know where to start. Plum and blackberry stand out, but there's intense liquidy chocolate in there as well. If you can find this in Canada I highly recommend!

Tonight's wine. No rot involved, and really nice!! Intense, deep and just a wild ride - so many flavours I don't know where to start. Plum and blackberry stand out, but there's intense liquidy chocolate in there as well. If you can find this in Canada I highly recommend!
Not available in Ontario or Quebec, unfortunately.

Had this little beauty last night alongside a kona coffee crusted filet.

On the deck sipping on this crisp white as I type.

Back