Advice on Monolith II replacemet woofers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horchem1972

Reaction score
The woofers on my Monoliths have finally seen better days.They are the original 12" woofers.I am going to contact ML to see if the new woofers they offer perform better.I was just checking to see if anyone has any suggestions for alternative woofers with the same specs.I will try to get their specs on the original woofers.Thank you.

Replacing Monolith woofers--Jonfo info

I just found out that ML is really proud of their woofers.The replacements are essentially the same as the old units and are $200 for one woofer.seems a little steep,so I am looking at replacements.I will be using the factory crossover,which is 100hz.I usually run them full range for music.All info will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Monolith Woofers

I have looked through the threads and need additional information.Such as,the ohm load of the woofer and do they have dual voice coils.The voice coils because there are two large groups of wires soldered to them.also was seeing if anyone had any pictures or instructions.Thank you.

Horchem, the Monolith II is a ported woofer design, so you'd need a slightly different woofer.

I recommend you calculate the internal box volume for your Monolith II, then go over to the speaker section of DIYaudio.com and ask the kind folks over there about what driver they'd recommend for a ported cabinet of x cubic feet.
Be clear that it will be crossed over at 100Hz using a first order crossover (6dB octave).

You want clean mid-bass more than you want ultra low-freq. So no subwoofer drivers, as they have terrible THD at >100hz and will color your mid-bass.
Better to give up a few HZ and SPL at the low end and preserve your pristine balance and clear mid-bass.

I’m guessing you can find some decent mid-bass drivers. One I’m aware of off the top of my head is the HiVi M12, which is designed for ported boxes and has very clean mid-bass. About $150 or so each.

If you want to rattle the rafters, just add a sub ;)

At this level of concern. Why search when ML has what you want ! You will not find a decent $100 driver that will mate with them . IIRC the driver is a Emenence . I may have the specs some where Ill look. ! Whats $400 to bring a speaker back to life that can play as well as many of todays best offerings;)!

ML Woofers

I was looking to see if anyone has any upgrade options.Seems weird that many other models have gone with upgraded woofers but there are none available for the Monolith's.Woofer technology has come a long way in over 20years and I was looking for upgrades.I tried e-mailing Jim powers but have not heard back yet.Does anyone know the impedance of the Monolith woofers and the internal volume of the ported sub enclosure?Your schematics would be very appreciated CAP.Thank you.

bad news or good news?

Hello ML lovers,

my little daughter decided to scratch the foam of one of the woofers of my Monoliths (II). I've already replaced the foam 6-7 years ago, but only because I wanted to test them before starting a complete restoration. So, and I don't now if it is a good or a bad news, it's time for a change. I've already seen the suggestion in this and other threads, I know that one option is to buy the ML replacement but I think that someting better can be done. Yes, it is a ported design, but, if needed, the port can be closed!
So now I'm considering the variuos options:
*Peerless 930669: cheap, good frequency response, 75g of mms, 170l vas, 91dB
*HIVI M12: parts express says that it is discontinued... anyhow, good fr, 160g of mms, 82l vas, 93dB
*Flexunits 12 B 77 25 10, really expensive, good fr, 60g mms, 250l vas (!), 92dB
*others?

I will perform some simulation in the volume available to see how they "fit", but I'd like to have other suggestions and also some guidelines in the choice. For example, as JonFo said, subwoofer units will not perform well due to the higher distortion above 100Hz. But the thd graphs are seldom published so which are the criterion to know if it is a good woofer? Only the fr graphs?
I have included in my list above also the mms of the driver, is it meaningful in the decision? I have also listed the sensitivity, but since I'm biamping it isn't so important.
If possible, I would like to add a subwoofer to cover the missing octaves, so I'm looking for a driver with good bass extension and good performance on the mid bass. Am I asking too much?:rolleyes:

Thanks!

Ciao

Paolo

woofer speed

On this Adire paper

http://www.stereointegrity.com/docs/WooferSpeed.pdf

it is written that the important parameter to judge the woofer speed is its inductance. I can basically agree, the problem is, as they say, that this is another detail sometimes missing in the specs, and moreover it depends at what frequency it has been measured :confused:.....

In any case, considering the Le, the winner would be...... the most expensive, of course!!! Guys, this Skaaning is really beautiful...:drool:
Will try a simulation in the (small, considering its Vas) volume of the Monoliths, but the price is almost out of budget:sad:

Ciao!

Paolo

woofer replacement

I was doubtful also last time, I think that the woofers are "tired" after 25 years:eek:

Ciao

Paolo

Back