McCain and Obama

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsmooth

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Wondering if anybody would like to weigh in on the subject? In a year when the Democratic Party would be a shoe-in for the presidency, it looks like this is going to be a close race. At this point during Kerry vs. Bush, Kerry was up about 10-13% in various polls and Bush ended up being re-elected. Polling now shows Obama with a slight lead and that his “crash coarse on diplomacy” trip didn’t really give any boost. It seems he has a hard time functioning when his speeches are not prepared and he needs to speak off the cuff. On the other hand, you have a candidate like McCain who has a hard time rallying the conservative base of the Republication Party due to his previous voting record and beliefs. I know this post was all over the board, but I wanted to see what fellow members are thinking.

McCain is doing everything he can to lose the election with contradictions and nowhere ideas. I think once the debates hit and Veeps are chosen the race will start to widen.

I do believe people want change from King Bush and I think that will be shown in the election. My two cents and obviously I am a democrat.

I could be totally wrong and certainly do not want to start a fight. There is no question the US is much divided and I am sure this forum is no different.

I started voting almost 39 years ago and I have never seen a presidental candidate offer less than Obama he has 140 days as a us senator and most of his votes have been present.He does a lot of talking but says very little. His alliances are with his race first and his country second. He keeps playing up " a citizen of the world " we dont need a president of the world we need a great leader of the United States. I do not believe either candidate will give the country what it needs.

Here is an example of Obamas goals:http://www.aim.org/aim-column/senate-passes-obamas-aids-bill/

the short story is he wants an additional $50,000,000,000 to $845,000,000,000 to send to Africa to combat aids even with my public school math education I can figure that that is at least an ADDITIONAL $2400.00 for every man woman and American child.

the only good that could become of a Obama presidency is that he would shurly unseat Jimmy Carter as the worst American President, Clinton tried but somehow Jimmy held on to his title.

On the other hand we have the "Maverick" A man willing to reach across the Isle even though it constantly gets slapped by Ted and his cronies. the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. His main work recently has been writing the Al Quida bill of rights, going into great detail exactly what we can do to get information from those captured in Iraq trying to kill American soldiers. [no more undies on the head] good job Maverick.

Will I vote in November of course using the saying that behind every sucessful man there is a strong woman, I will hold my nose and vote for the blond with the beer distributorship.

I started voting almost 39 years ago and I have never seen a presidental candidate offer less than Obama he has 140 days as a us senator and most of his votes have been present.He does a lot of talking but says very little. His alliances are with his race first and his country second. He keeps playing up " a citizen of the world " we dont need a president of the world we need a great leader of the United States. I do not believe either candidate will give the country what it needs.

Here is an example of Obamas goals:http://www.aim.org/aim-column/senate-passes-obamas-aids-bill/

the short story is he wants an additional $50,000,000,000 to $845,000,000,000 to send to Africa to combat aids even with my public school math education I can figure that that is at least an ADDITIONAL $2400.00 for every man woman and American child.

the only good that could become of a Obama presidency is that he would shurly unseat Jimmy Carter as the worst American President, Clinton tried but somehow Jimmy held on to his title.

On the other hand we have the "Maverick" A man willing to reach across the Isle even though it constantly gets slapped by Ted and his cronies. the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. His main work recently has been writing the Al Quida bill of rights, going into great detail exactly what we can do to get information from those captured in Iraq trying to kill American soldiers. [no more undies on the head] good job Maverick.

Will I vote in November of course using the saying that behind every sucessful man there is a strong woman, I will hold my nose and vote for the blond with the beer distributorship.

I am pretty sure this is going to get ugly because the US is so divided on the issues.

I would not recommend using conservative propagnda to get your point accross. Democrats like myself will start using the huffingtonpost.com to make our points and we will go nowhere.

In fact, it might even be good to shut this whole thread down.

You can say the country is divided but that has always been so.

Why is the truth like kryptonite to a liberal, you can condemn the source but not the message. the truth is just that.

QUOTE]

I would say the same thing to a conservative. This is the problem of a political based thread on an audio forum. It creates bad blood between members.

I can try to convince you the Obama 08 is the best for this country for 10 days and nights and you would never change your mind and the same goes for me, if you were to try.

That's why am going to get back to the music.

Ahh the joys of politics! Any way you look at it were are going to have a liberal president ! :( Its sad to say the most powerful country in the world can only muster up these two individuals to run it ! Whats even sadder is they were voted in by whom ? :eek:

The important thing, is which one would do more for audio?

I know you think I'm joking, but somebody has to get the FCC under control . . . . to say nothing of keeping the internet free and content neutral!

Last edited:
The important this is which one would do more for audio?

I know you think I'm joking, but somebody has to get the FCC under control . . . . to say nothing of keeping the internet free and content neutral!

We know which party this is...

I am in the camp that a post like this is good, as many people only get their information from the side that they agree with. The mainstream media of TV and newspaper is terribly biased toward the Democratic Party. If that is where you get your information, how can you make an informed decision? If you listen to nothing but Talk Radio and Fox news, probably going to get a pretty good filter from the right. Due to the fact many people here are in a pretty high tax bracket because of the nature of high-end audio, I would assume most here are fairly conservative. What I am looking for is some concrete information from both sides, if it can be found :0) that is, on what each candidate stands for. Hopefully we can be civil about our differences and become more informed. Besides, the independent/undecided vote is what really decides our elections.

At the risk of sounding raceist, which I am not, it is MHO that the US just isn't ready for an Afro-American president, no matter how qualified (or not) that person is. When push comes to shove and middle America steps into the voting booth in November, I don't believe their selection will be Barak Obama.

Political debates are fun. I hope that the admins leave this thread to survive, as I believe that good discourse makes good (and interesting) friendships. But as the member of the American Jewish voting block, I've got to say that the candidate having the high ground right now is Obama. I view myself as independent and a proponent of the party that has the most reasonable ideas at any given timepoint.

That being said -- McCain is almost a caricature of the doddering old man. He is not the candidate that he was in 2000. Then, he was a true champ, but the GOP didn't like him. Today.....not so good. Having sided with what will undoubtedly be the worst presidency in the history of the United States and offering no ambition to seek solutions outside of his narrow mindset, he is as good as done in this election cycle. Chances are also very high that the Dems will own the Senate on November 5th as well.

If Barack Obama gets elected, I won't be fully confident in his hopeful message, but for now.... Johnie is dead in the water.

My mom sent me this link and I thought it was kinda funny...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CqczNpLg9b8

Enjoy!!

~VDR

Last edited:
This thread is going nowhere, as long as we all remain civil.

I am very interested to see how the world (especially the middle east) will perceive America if Obama gets into office (which I think he will).

I do believe people want change from King Bush and I think that will be shown in the election. My two cents and obviously I am a democrat.

If we have King Bush, then we can round out Parliament with Queen N. Pelosi and Prince H. Reid ;). Nancy will not let anything hit the floor because she is quote, "...trying to save the world". I don't care who you are or what you do; you are being effected. We in the US have the most resources in the world and we are not even trying to tap them. We are developing more and more technology, but how about break to the consumer while we straighten all the alternatives out (of course a stronger dollar would also help).

The craziest thing of all is that a vast majority of the Democratic Party are the people really being affected. Have you looked at the price of natural gas lately; it has climbed even faster then the price of gas. For you or I, we can ride out our energy problems with a few lifestyle changes. For an urban, low-income family their energy cost can be 35 to 50 percent of their TOTAL budget. Eat or buy gas? Eat or heat your home?

Due to the fact many people here are in a pretty high tax bracket because of the nature of high-end audio, I would assume most here are fairly conservative. What I am looking for is some concrete information from both sides, if it can be found :0) that is, on what each candidate stands for. Hopefully we can be civil about our differences and become more informed. Besides, the independent/undecided vote is what really decides our elections.

tsmooth,

I would be willing to bet that most audiophiles are for Obama. Most audiophileis the upscale, educated, white, male voter he has had the most support from. He is having problems with women over 40 who like the maverick in McCain, and the less educated whites, who do not relate to him.

The best analysis I heard is that this election is a referendum on Obama. If he can show that he is acceptable to the country, he will easily win, as both Bush and Congress are in the toilet and people want "change". So far, he has not been accepted by the majority, as he is not even at 50% despite the fact that he has the media on his side.

As someone who is independent and thinks for himself, I am much more concerned about the congress as well as the presidency going to one party, rather than just the presidencial race alone. Real damage could then be done, especially with a filibuster proof senate.

As someone who is independent and thinks for himself, I am much more concerned about the congress as well as the presidency going to one party, rather than just the presidencial race alone. Real damage could then be done, especially with a filibuster proof senate.

Excellent point, I have a feeling that the majority will be winning a few more seats this coming election. Combining that with a possible Democratic President, I have a feeling that "change" is going to be the correct word.

It would be nice if all of the world liked the United States, but this is the real world it aint going to happen. I personally dont care what the rest of the world thinks of us. I would rather be feared than admired, that is what the radical muslims understand anyway. I also dont think that the congress should be a PR firm for the US we elected tham to make this country better And that is a job that they have failed miserably. Yes GW has a terrible approval rating but if you check the congress has a worse rating.

I also worry about Barack's ideas about supreme court judges with a Democrat congress he could easily add more Ginsburgs and Souters rendering decisions that we will have to live with forever.

While I do not want to discuss this for 10 days and nights I do have one question for Barack supporters.

"Just tell me one thing Barack Obama has done that you admire,"

It would be nice if all of the world liked the United States, but this is the real world it aint going to happen. I personally dont care what the rest of the world thinks of us. I would rather be feared than admired, that is what the radical muslims understand anyway. I also dont think that the congress should be a PR firm for the US we elected tham to make this country better And that is a job that they have failed miserably. Yes GW has a terrible approval rating but if you check the congress has a worse rating.

I also worry about Barack's ideas about supreme court judges with a Democrat congress he could easily add more Ginsburgs and Souters rendering decisions that we will have to live with forever.

While I do not want to discuss this for 10 days and nights I do have one question for Barack supporters.

"Just tell me one thing Barack Obama has done that you admire,"

1. In this new world with our technology and world economy the US can not be a lone wolf. We need other countries to succeed. We also need other countries to buy American goods which they don't, we need other countries to sell us oil which to keep prices low to stop hurting the working poor.

1a. We need to start to make relations with countries such as Iran to keep the world peaceful through talking and not through made up wars filled of lies a deceit of the American public.

2. If you look at history the senate's approval rating democrat or republican lingers well below 50%. The reason for this is because of its bipartisan politics.
The democrats cannot get anything through the senate because King Bush will veto it. Any news organization will tell you that the republicans are set to loose about 20 more seats in the house and 5 to 7 seats in the senate and those are conservative numbers. I do not think the Americans are placing blame on the newly elected democrats.

2a. Bush has the lowest approval rating of any president including Jimmy Carter in more than 65 years. He was put there by the people to uphold our ideals and make this country better. He has simply not done that and is the worst president in my lifetime (Yes Jimmy Carter was also terrible). Bush's big screw ups:
a. Iraq War
1. Took focus of Afghanistan
2. Did not find Bin Laden
b. Economy
1. A whole lot more poor people today
c. Katrina
d. Budget Deficit
e. Huge tax breaks to the richest 1%
f. Movement towards more censorship
g. Increase in poverty in the US.
1. Took school lunch programs away from poor kids
h. Environment policies or lack there of
ha. No effort into getting renewable energy resources
I. No Child Left Behind
J. Raised the tax credit for vehicles 6000 or larger for small business from 25k to 100k. Hence all the Hummers and Excursions on the road
k. Foreign Relations
l. I could go on for 100 more but I my fingers are getting tired

3. You already are saying that Obama would make poor Supreme Court choices. Don't make me bring up Harriet Myers who her own party did not even support. We have lawyers on this forum that were more qualified.

4. Obama Achievements:
A. Hope Act
b. The Coburn-Obama Government Transparency Act of 2006
c. The Lugar-Obama Nuclear Non-proliferation and Conventional Weapons Threat Reduction Act
d. The 2007 Government Ethics Bill
e. The “Democratic Republic of the Congo Relief, Security, and Democracy

I realize not all of these passed but I agree with all of them in principal and no I have not read them cover to cover to give you full disclosure.

Bush is the worst president in my lifetime nobody is a close second. Hopefully in November we do elect change as the motto says. I don't want this country in 100 years of war in the Middle East.

Besides Obama is going to destroy McCain in the debates and like I said before the gap will start to widen.

Back