Mini Review: Heard the $25K Magico V3...Revolutionary?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Matz

Reaction score
I recently auditioned the new Magico V3 at a local dealer. Stereophile claimed it was "revolutionary" in a recent issue. I am not sure I agree. The room was well treated. The rest of the system was expensive - ARC CD7, Levinson pre ($8K), and Burmester amp ($15K). It was very good: great coherence, nice extension, great soundstaging, more audiophile BS terms...

The speaker, however, did not disappear even as the cheaper Logan models such as the Aeon do, and the air around the instruments was not there. I am not sure how much it was the speaker, or the room, or the ancillary electronic equipment. I was not tapping my feet, but I was hearing every detail!

Why is SUPER EXPENSIVE audio equipment so overly detailed? Do audiophiles demand it, or do most audio designers never hear live music and are compelled to reproduce every bit? I make sure to get out and listen to live music, and I never hear this detail. I chose my BAT preamp (dynamics) and CJ amp (organic sound) because they get out of the way!

I am not sure I would trade my Vantages system for the system I heard it in. In fairness, it is the best non-electro stat/ planar I have heard, but why spend $25K? I guess I am going to have electro stats for the rest of my life. I am curious, though, to hear it with my equipment to make a more realistic apples to apples comparison, but in reality I won't be hauling the Magicos to my house.

Sorry that these comments do not express the passion or the joy conveyed by Tom when he was writing about the CLX, but the Magico V3 at $25K is not for me. I can't wait to hear the CLX.

Everyone likes something different!

I wasn't terribly swayed by the Magico either, but I think if you are someone that really enjoys the ML sound, not much else will grab you in the same way.

I have a buddy with Magicos that always tells me the Summits are junk!
Go figure...

I recently auditioned the new Magico V3 at a local dealer. Stereophile claimed it was "revolutionary" in a recent issue. I am not sure I agree. The room was well treated. The rest of the system was expensive - ARC CD7, Levinson pre ($8K), and Burmester amp ($15K). It was very good: great coherence, nice extension, great soundstaging, more audiophile BS terms...

The speaker, however, did not disappear even as the cheaper Logan models such as the Aeon do, and the air around the instruments was not there. I am not sure how much it was the speaker, or the room, or the ancillary electronic equipment. I was not tapping my feet, but I was hearing every detail!

Why is SUPER EXPENSIVE audio equipment so overly detailed? Do audiophiles demand it, or do most audio designers never hear live music and are compelled to reproduce every bit? I make sure to get out and listen to live music, and I never hear this detail. I chose my BAT preamp (dynamics) and CJ amp (organic sound) because they get out of the way!

I am not sure I would trade my Vantages system for the system I heard it in. In fairness, it is the best non-electro stat/ planar I have heard, but why spend $25K? I guess I am going to have electro stats for the rest of my life. I am curious, though, to hear it with my equipment to make a more realistic apples to apples comparison, but in reality I won't be hauling the Magicos to my house.

Sorry that these comments do not express the passion or the joy conveyed by Tom when he was writing about the CLX, but the Magico V3 at $25K is not for me. I can't wait to hear the CLX.

There was probably mis-match somewhere in the system. Let's start with the mixed-bag of equipment, for instance. If there was all ARC equipment would the sound have been different/better?

PS: I am only using ARC as an example, so feel free to substitute.

There was no less than 50 grand in speakers and equipment. If it doesn't sound good, then it doesn't sound good.

No need to be sorry! Big $$$ does not mean big sound.

You will not be disappointed with the CLX ;) That I can tell you first hand. I was blown away. They are the best I have heard.

There was probably mis-match somewhere in the system. Let's start with the mixed-bag of equipment, for instance. If there was all ARC equipment would the sound have been different/better?

PS: I am only using ARC as an example, so feel free to substitute.

SundayNiagara,

I know someone who heard it in an all BAT system - Rex preamp and 150 SE monoblocks (all tubes), and he liked it a lot. I think highly of BAT, and I am sure it I would have enjoyed the system more. However, I still did not hear in the Magico what a $2K Logan can do.

Everyone likes something different!

I wasn't terribly swayed by the Magico either, but I think if you are someone that really enjoys the ML sound, not much else will grab you in the same way.

I have a buddy with Magicos that always tells me the Summits are junk!
Go figure...

Jeff,

I completely agree. I am not sure this is common knowledge in the industry, but there is a huge demand for detailed sound. I am not sure why. Listenning to live music, especially unamplified live music, the audiophile terms just go out the window. I think some companies hold focus groups to make sure they get the right amount of detail, the transitions from midrange to bass are good enough, etc.

What kind of electronics does your friend use?

I recently auditioned the new Magico V3 at a local dealer. Stereophile claimed it was "revolutionary" in a recent issue. I am not sure I agree.

My reaction was not exactly the same, but I wasn't tapping my feet either, in a demo with the same electronics as in my system - for more info see my system link below...

Jeff,

I completely agree. I am not sure this is common knowledge in the industry, but there is a huge demand for detailed sound. I am not sure why. Listenning to live music, especially unamplified live music, the audiophile terms just go out the window. I think some companies hold focus groups to make sure they get the right amount of detail, the transitions from midrange to bass are good enough, etc.

What kind of electronics does your friend use?

He's got Krell stuff. Even more detailed than the BAT..
(and the new crop of BAT stuff is sounding more musical, BTW)

However it's really taste. They guy that writes our "Collector" column was over at our house one day and after listening to my system for about an hour, he said "You've got that really musical sound, I don't like that"..

I was pretty floored, but he said he wants a system that peels the paint off the wall with detail. So, now I know what kind of components to suggest to him!

Another thing to ponder, is that the folks who's hearing is starting to take a gentle roll off from 12k on up (remember, almost everyone on the Stereophile staff is now 60 yrs old or older except for Art Dudley, and it's not much better at TAS: Harry Pearson is now 76 years old...) is going to respond a lot better to an overly detailed system/speaker.

I really see hifi, cars, anything else to be a very personal thing. When you buy a pair of Magicos or any other speaker, you are buying a work of art and that designers perception of music.

Do you want Magico's vision, ML's or someone elses?

So many hifi discussions end up going downhill about the quest for the "absolute sound", but because everyone's perception is different, it's about finding a system of components that you really respond to.

That's the only way to find happiness with this stuff!

So many hifi discussions end up going downhill about the quest for the "absolute sound", but because everyone's perception is different, it's about finding a system of components that you really respond to.

That's the only way to find happiness with this stuff!

Jeff, a stunningly profound and simple statement. Well said.

SundayNiagara,

I know someone who heard it in an all BAT system - Rex preamp and 150 SE monoblocks (all tubes), and he liked it a lot. I think highly of BAT, and I am sure it I would have enjoyed the system more. However, I still did not hear in the Magico what a $2K Logan can do.

So, you don't care for the speakers, but does that make them bad? I still think there was something wrong with the set up that you heard. There are many people who love 'stats and would never own a box speaker. Me, I like lotsa different flavors, including horns AND horn-loaded.

Last edited:
I have learned that it takes a LOT more than a single audition to form a conclusion of a speaker. The speaker should be transparent to the source and if you believe in that - then you should also realize that perhaps you are actually just listening to the upstreams.

It's tough to say that the Magico isn't up to par to an ML, perhaps it was the set up or just the synergy was not the best for your ears. Have we not heard a poor ML demo?

I have learned that it takes a LOT more than a single audition to form a conclusion of a speaker. The speaker should be transparent to the source and if you believe in that - then you should also realize that perhaps you are actually just listening to the upstreams.

It's tough to say that the Magico isn't up to par to an ML, perhaps it was the set up or just the synergy was not the best for your ears. Have we not heard a poor ML demo?

I am well aware that it could be the system, the room, or the speakers. Life is too short to haul heavy speakers and equipment around, and put systems together which may or may not sound good, or to try to make something sound a bit a better.

I would much rather enjoy the music itself. Just came back from an amazing live Blues show. All systems sound like *shit* compared to live music.

Thank you Joey!

No need to be sorry! Big $$$ does not mean big sound.

You will not be disappointed with the CLX ;) That I can tell you first hand. I was blown away. They are the best I have heard.

Heard the CLX today. I was BLOWN AWAY!

It was driven by Krell Evolution, a very analytical system. Loved every second of it!

Heard the CLX today. I was BLOWN AWAY!

It was driven by Krell Evolution, a very analytical system. Loved every second of it!

Dave,
Just got home from work and pulled up the site expecting to see some pics and a review of your CLX session today. Come on lets get going, the wait is killing me. I was gonna try and make it but just couldn't get away from work.

Dave,
Just got home from work and pulled up the site expecting to see some pics and a review of your CLX session today. Come on lets get going, the wait is killing me. I was gonna try and make it but just couldn't get away from work.

It was so good, we are going back in a week or 2. You are welcome to come. Sorry no pictures, but the speaker is not as ugly as people say they are. You may be trading in your Summits after you hear them!

It was so good, we are going back in a week or 2. You are welcome to come. Sorry no pictures, but the speaker is not as ugly as people say they are. You may be trading in your Summits after you hear them!

You can count me in on the next trip. Sundays would be better since I work every Saturday. Am out of town mid-month. Took me almost 2 years to aguire the Summits after first hearing them and I don't even have them broken in yet depite having them for a month now. Life has been too busy to do much listening.

Back