Bryston amps and ML

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danman

Reaction score
Anyone using Bryston power amps for their speakers? I am looking into one of these (3b st or 4b st) as the used market has some interesting deals and a 20 year transferable warranty!

I have listened to them in the past and was very impressed but it was ot with ML speakers.

Hi Danman,

I used to have a Bryston 4BST driving my logans . It worked very well , but I switched to a Simaudio W-5 which was a huge upgrade over the 4bst. They say the 3bst amp is more musical than the 4bst.I haven't had the chance to hear the 3b yet. Perhaps running 2 3bst's , one for each speaker would be the ticket.

Since you live in Canada, I do also, check out www.canuckaudiomart.com or www.audioeden.com for some used bargains.Which ML's are you running??

Cheers, Greg

I have the Quests. My room is 12 x 18 and the power from the 3b st would definately be sufficient. I can get one mint for 1000$ average.

The more power the better

After extensive auditioning in my own system - not reading reviews or listening to old wives tales - I am in the camp that believes the more power the better with your Logans. I used to have a Bryston 4B ST driving Ascents and Vantages. They really get a full control of the speaker, and produce beautiful music. To me, it is the best deal one can get starting out. Overall, the 4B ST is a great entry level speaker and the best value.

Eventually, you can bi-amp the Bryston with something like tubed BAt Vk 55 for pure heaven.

At the higher level, the 14B SST has some of the best measurements around, and it is preferred by those who love the hard, clean, detailed sound over just about anything. Then, there's the 28B SST to drive anything...

I eventually moved to the SS CJ 350 after auditioning a dozen tube and other SS amps. I found the tube amps more musical than Bryston, but they sounded fake and euphonic to me, with somewhat anemic bass. Some of the other more expensive, high powered SS amps have the same control of the speaker as the Bryston, but are more musical. The CJ 350 was the best of both worlds, bringing tube and SS virtues into one product.

I've been running a set of Bryston 7b mono's for about 5 years now....and have no plans on changing. Everything else in my system, has been through at least one revision in that period.

Bryston makes good, clean power.....an excellent match for ML, IMHO.

Im another Premier 350 lover, but also a big fan of the Sim/Moon stuff.
I've had an I-7 here for quite a while and really enjoy the sound. The Bryston stuff has always sounded kind of sterile to me.

Seeing you are in Canada, getting Sim or Bryston should be pretty easy.

I would bet that if you were able to listen to both on your speakers, you would respond very strongly to one and not the other. Which one will be up to your ears and your taste.

Let us know what you end up with!

sorry for late response as was on vacation ...have the Bryston 14BSST running CLSz2...had a MAC and Sunfire prior..compared it to Krell monoblocks, Classe, and tube MAC...staying with the 14 until warranty runs out:music:

one more on this - my brother has the 4bsst (not the 4bst) with Ascents. I would describe it as very detailed - with loads of soundstage - very powerful. It is not mellow at all - and there are those on this forum that love a tube type sound on the stats... You certainly don't get that with the Bryston - but, supposedly the 4bsst has a smoother top end than the 4bst... So, if you like a darker/smoother/more mellow type of a sound that makes the speakers sound warmer - the Bryston will not do that. It will, however, make things jump out at you - and give you unbelievable layers of soundstage....

sorry for late response as was on vacation ...have the Bryston 14BSST running CLSz2...had a MAC and Sunfire prior..compared it to Krell monoblocks, Classe, and tube MAC...staying with the 14 until warranty runs out:music:

wallace - can you give details on the sunfire/bryston diff... and what sunfire did you have... I would be interested in your opinion... thx. tim.

the Sunfire sounds like a tube amp to me ...wonderful flowing and space creating midrange somewhat similar to the MAC 501 monoblocks but with a mildly rolled off top end compared to them and my Bryston but more revealing in that area then the 501's if you listen closely. The 14BSST is a very refined studio purpose amp...much more straight wire/Placette preamp like...completely factual/detailed(like a Halcro) but maybe not as fun/musical to compared to the above.

Last edited:
the Sunfire sounds like tube amp to me ...wonderful flowing and space creating midrange somewhat similar to the MAC 501 monoblocks but with a mildly rolled off top end compared to them and my Bryston but more revealing in that area then the 501's if you listen closely. The 14BSST is a very refined studio purpose amp...much more straight wire/Placette preamp like...completely factual/detailed(like a Halcro) but maybe not as fun/musical to compared to the above.

Hmm - I have a signature cinema grand and I bi-amp my odysseys with it. I was thinking of bringing it to chicago and comparing it directly to my brothers bryston 4bsst... he has ascents. I don't think he really wants me to do it - he is always afraid he is going to hear something he likes better and want to buy it instead....:)

bryston

I have a set of 7b ST's and a bp25. Its funny that the preamp tends to get a bad rap, but actually I find I like the preamp more than the amps. I find the amps to sound rather flat compared to tubes and my modified conrad johnson stuff (which sounds spectacular IMO). I tend to find myself using the CJ amps more than the brystons, partly due to size, heat etc. Likely my personal preferences though.

My 7b st's have been back for service just recently, so they are tested and running at 100%.

also: the bp25 has a few really unique features that make it special. It has a pretty linear volume knob and has much more volume control than any other preamp I own (a Classe CP50 and a Homebrew / Lite Audio), it also has a phase switch on the remote, good quality headphone jack, and a great phono stage. It sounds more direct than the cp50, the cp50 has a slightly deeper stage though.

I should say that, of all the gear ive owned, every bryston piece I have has needed service of some sort, which seems odd given their reputation. Possibly just poor luck. Switches on the 7b went bad, and the preamp XLR outputs were intermittent.

Last edited:
The later SST amps is generally preferred over the ST models because of the new output transistors, so audition an SST amp is my advice.
Otherwise, agree with timm.

Back