What have I gotten myself into...???

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron S

Reaction score
Hello all! As of a few days ago, I haphazardly became the owner of a mint pair of oak CLS IIa's. I was in Spokane, WA on business and after finishing work for the day, an associate had Craigslist up on his laptop and I spotted these sitting proudly in the middle of a bunch of 'Sony XPlod subs' and '13" TV/VCR combo' type-ads. :D

The seller's place was just a couple of minutes off the interstate on the way to the hotel, so I went over to check them out and after an hour or so of listening and confirming they were fully operational and without any apparent issues, ended up walking out the door with them for his asking price of $1195. Normally, I research my purchases infinitely better than this one and drive a much harder bargain, but this just kind of happened. ;) Which brings me here...

...and after reading the wealth of info, I must admit to one part excitement (due to their potential), and probably two or three parts trepidation (due to their somewhat long list of requirements).

I will add onto this post with a few questions in the general question area. Now it's time to decide if I want to give these things all the ingredients that they need to shine. :bowdown:

Aaron

Welcome to the CLS club ! Great purchase and good price. Stands are # 1 priority! The rear bracing is key. Look at my system for the pics of my stands. The positioning is key too. They love to be out into a room at least 4 to 5 feet and away from the side walls at least 2 feet. If not you will get a headphone experience. They also love lots of clean current to run them . I am partial to Krell, but amp selection is personal. The McIntosh 275 are used by a member here and he swears by them. Remember they are the most revealing speakers of equipment I have heard. Garbage in , Garbage out !;);)

C.A.P.,

Thanks for the warm welcome and the tips!

I wrote a somewhat-longish post in the main discussion area with some questions; of which you have addressed at least half of them here. ;)

Stands are near the top of the to-do list. Your metal ones are nice. I also like a few of the oak iterations I've seen on here and this would be more my speed as welding and I don't get along. :p I have a good friend that is handy with the steel though and he actually likes to pitch in on these type of projects.

Back