$500 interconnects?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Webinattor

Reaction score
Ok, so on another forum I frequent, a fellow is selling all his quite expensive and impressive gear. Short story is, I got a set of $500 Fadel Art interconnects from him for a steal.

Now, having NO experience with that kind of expensive item, I am not sure what to listen for after installing the pair. (Preamp out to amp)

Would like to give it a good shot, so if you are into that sort of thing, please post what I should try and listen for as I venture down the esoteric cable path...

Thanks!

please post what I should try and listen for as I venture down the esoteric cable path...Thanks!

Not sure exactly what your bank account getting depleted sounds like !! LOL !

Your ears should give you the feedback that YOU want. Now with that being said I assume you have built an acoustically stable listening room as is possible ?? For if not, your money would be more wisely spent there FIRST !

There wasn't a terrible sucking sound from my bank account. I got these for the cost of a monstercable set, so thought it was a worthwhile way to try the esoterics.

I can't do the room treatment thing...

Would like to give it a good shot, so if you are into that sort of thing, please post what I should try and listen for as I venture down the esoteric cable path...
Easy solution.

On what to listen for: Do you like the change in "sound" of the newer cable over your old cables? And if you do, is the price worth the change/improvement, for you and your budget?

Sound = Entire musical spectrum from lows (bass), to mids (vocals), to highs (cymbals) - as an example.

You make it sound so simple! Shouldn't this be more...uh, difficult? :D

I can't do the room treatment thing...

Can't or will not ???? Regardless, don't get fooled into thinking you can correct room anomolies with cables.

I wish I had a nickel for every knucklehead on the "Asylum" that has performed miricales with cable changes ! Hell, I'd probably have enough $$ to by a pair of CLX's !

Hopefully they provide you with the 'tweek' your ears and system like.

You make it sound so simple! Shouldn't this be more...uh, difficult? :D
Ummmm...yeah you can make it more difficult.

But seriously, listen to the cable and if you find it is an improvement in sound (your decision, not someone else) over what you currently have, and you can afford it, then it is a good upgrade.

Remember the improvements can be in one area or across the board. But only you can decide if it is "better". For price, again it is your decision and not what others think is the right price.

Cables can make a change in the sound, but the room will limit your sound ultimately. And until you can do the room treatments, you have no idea on how much a change it can make.

Last edited:
Can't or will not ???? Regardless, don't get fooled into thinking you can correct room anomolies with cables.

I wish I had a nickel for every knucklehead on the "Asylum" that has performed miricales with cable changes ! Hell, I'd probably have enough $$ to by a pair of CLX's !

Hopefully they provide you with the 'tweek' your ears and system like.

Well, will not. Don't have a dedicated room for my stuff. Has to fit into my multipurpose room. I'm not getting the cables to "fix" anything. Just thought it was a good deal and decided to try the esoterics....

Short story is, I got a set of $500 Fadel Art interconnects from him for a steal.

Now, having NO experience with that kind of expensive item, I am not sure what to listen for after installing the pair.

Great post! There is nothing to listen to!

Do you really believe that esoteric cables and interconnects can improve sound? Your conscience does not.

Do yourself a favor this weekend: dump the $500 (!) interconnects and use the proceeds and pick up some of that music you have been waiting to hear.

:p

Great post! There is nothing to listen to!

Do you really believe that esoteric cables and interconnects can improve sound? Your conscience does not.

:p

I can't believe that the "esoteric cables are snake oil" mind set exists, even here in a forum dedicated to ML speakers. I mean, I could understand it in a forum dedicated to Bose's speakers, but here?! Quite sad, really...

To the OP: others' suggestions about giving the cable a try for a week or two are on the money. If you appreciate the change, it's money well spent. Otherwise, treat yourself to some more music. :)

I can't believe that the "esoteric cables are snake oil" mind set exists, even here in a forum dedicated to ML speakers. I mean, I could understand it in a forum dedicated to Bose's speakers, but here?! Quite sad, really...
Yeah but think of all the time and money these folks save by using the red/white RCA's supplied with their components. ;) No traveling to their local shops, no time spent auditioning, just plug and play and away they go.

But everyone is entitled to their opinion, even is most here do not follow the same belief

Last edited:
well .... whatever.... I think some of the folks missed the point - that you got these for quite a bargain. If it is snake oil - what a great way to find out eh? Anyway, when you try these - do me a favor and switch these around a bit between your source and pre / and amp/pre. I am interested to hear your impressions.... If there are more differences / less differences / no differences... etc.... who cares if there are no differences... you got them for monster cable prices - and now you get to report your findings to us!!! :)

The bad thing here is that if you like them, you'll not be able to get them at the sweet price you picked up these ones..

I borrowed some uber-fancy ICs once and couldn't hear a difference.

well .... whatever.... I think some of the folks missed the point - that you got these for quite a bargain. If it is snake oil - what a great way to find out eh? Anyway, when you try these - do me a favor and switch these around a bit between your source and pre / and amp/pre. I am interested to hear your impressions.... If there are more differences / less differences / no differences... etc.... who cares if there are no differences... you got them for monster cable prices - and now you get to report your findings to us!!! :)

Timm, you are great to actually get the gist of my post. I got $500 cables for $80 bucks. I would never have spent 500 to do that. But, for 80, I can dip toe in and see what it is all about....(or not.) I will indeed post my thoughts when I get them in the mail...:music:

I am in the cables do make a difference camp, and can appreciate your open mind and efforts to experiment. I don't think that cable "sound" and price have much of a relationship, rather it is more of how it interacts with your system. (I'm not a techie, but I think it has something to do with cable inductance, capacitance, and resistance and how it interacts with amps, preamps, etc.) Also, cables should not be a band aid solution to a problem in your system, rather an enhancement towards achieving the sound you envision. Audition it with your "musical" and then your "critical" ear, and if you like it, keep it, and don't think too much about it .

Cables, cables, cables. If you want to get opinions, start a cable post.

Here's my opinion - The reason why so many people don't believe cables make a difference is because THEY DON'T!
The reason why so many people believe cables make a difference is because THEY DO!
It totally depends on your system (which includes your ears). I'm not sure why I can't hear a difference in the cables I've tried in my setup, but it could be my system isn't resolving enough, my room won't allow me to hear the differences, my hearing sucks, or I just haven't tried the right cables.
I will add (just because this post getting a little edgy might be fun) that a lot of people who buy expensive cables and "love the improvement. I'm hearing my music collection for the first time" can't hear squat. The same way that another poster might say the same thing and actually may be hearing that type of improvement.
Just my 2 cents

Hey Mike, "Crusty" said it best !

FWIW, I was merely trying make the point that cables should be a 'system tweek' and to avoid the trap of chasing the Holy Grail with continued cable swaps, changes, etc, that COULD ruin ones bank account !

Regardless, you got a superb deal on your cables so "give 'em a whirl"
and let us know what you think.

Also regarding room treatments, my room is not soley dedicated to my audio system and I have managed to integrate accoustic treatments that do not visual intrude and or ruin the room.

I have played with cables in all prices ranges from $20 interconnects to Audioquest $2000 Sky interconnects and can tell you from experience that cables can make a difference but you don't need to spend thousands of dollars to hear it. When I sold my Sky's I went back to my AQ King Cobras I padded $75.00 a set for and actually like there sound better then the Sky. Cables can make a difference, don't be afraid to try them, but if you have issues in my system don't expect any cable to magically fix them.

Back