Room treatments – part 2

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JonFo,

Congrats on the coolist DIY project I've seen on this site! Not just this latest project but the whole evolution of your Theater of Eden. And thank you for sharing all these great photos letting us in on exactly how your goal was achieved... My Gabber is Flasted!!!

Satch

I'm pretty touched by it actually - just been explaining it to my wife who reckons we're all sad and need to get out more! She's probably right:D

I just think it's nice to know there are some fellow nutcases out there!

JonFo,

Congrats on the coolist DIY project I've seen on this site! Not just this latest project but the whole evolution of your Theater of Eden. And thank you for sharing all these great photos letting us in on exactly how your goal was achieved... My Gabber is Flasted!!!

Satch

Satch, thanks very much, and that's with pictures that absolutely do not do justice to the look of the room.

I really need to get a pro in here with a good D-SLR and some lights.

I'm pretty touched by it actually - just been explaining it to my wife who reckons we're all sad and need to get out more! She's probably right:D

I just think it's nice to know there are some fellow nutcases out there!

Did you tell her my wife participated significantly (see the linked thread on the acoustic treatments)?

It is so much better when the couple does things together. I'm just lucky my wife is just as big a nutcase as I am (she's a Vet / Artist, with emphasis on artist ;)

And to think I put my used Ascent panels on ebay only a few months ago...

Well, with all the effort Jon explains in pulling them apart, I'd think it would be easier to simply ask ML if they'll sell you some curved metal with holes punched in it. ie. the raw material. I'm sure that wouldn't be too expensive!

Did you tell her my wife participated significantly (see the linked thread on the acoustic treatments)?

It is so much better when the couple does things together. I'm just lucky my wife is just as big a nutcase as I am (she's a Vet / Artist, with emphasis on artist ;)

Jon,

Congratulations on a real pro-job. Awesome. :bowdown:

But how does one go about looking for a partner like yours? I consider that as the first step when embarking on such a project. Maybe you should open another thread on this - a prequel. :D:D

Actually, she is always supportive, and if I listened to her, I would have spent far more on hi-fi than I already have done.

BTW: she's into fashion and works for http://www.mulberry.com/

amey01 - after further thought, I wouldn't copy Jon's work - it wouldn't be cool! My scheme would have some cunning variations....;)

Paradise

Now I am MORE bummed than ever I couldn't find the time to come see this last week. The room looks awesome, and I already know it sounds mind blowing :music:

GREAT GREAT job:rocker:

Wow!! Excellent job Jonathan. :bowdown: When is the open house going to be?:D

Glen

From ML website:

"True dipole speakers, such as electrostatic panels, have long been noted for their near-ideal radiation patterns. They send very little sound to the sides, thereby minimizing side-wall reflections with short arrival times that tend to interfere with perception of the direct sound. Their strong rear radiation, however, produces a generous amount of ambience-enriching later-arriving reflections off the wall behind them."

Care to comment?

really cool!

Jon, please experiment next with a 2.40 constant image height screen with anamorphic lens. There's a lot about that, but precious few that use MLs, so we need great resources to learn from.

very little sound to the sides...
Care to comment?

JonFo, my guess is that most of the acoustic energy these traps absorb is below 100Hz, where the panel dispersion pattern is irrelevant.
Don't your measurements support this guess?

Jon,

Congratulations on a real pro-job. Awesome. :bowdown:

But how does one go about looking for a partner like yours? I consider that as the first step when embarking on such a project. Maybe you should open another thread on this - a prequel.

Thanks Ben, Well I did my shopping 31 years ago and she was just 17 when we met, so it takes advance planning.

Actually I’m very lucky to have a talented and supportive spouse.
But yes, a prequel might be in order, I’ll add that to my personal site: how I got into this mess

Actually, she is always supportive, and if I listened to her, I would have spent far more on hi-fi than I already have done.

BTW: she's into fashion and works for http://www.mulberry.com/

amey01 - after further thought, I wouldn't copy Jon's work - it wouldn't be cool! My scheme would have some cunning variations....;)

User211 that’s cool. It’s funny when the spouses are the ones going “yeah, go get that”

Very slick Jonathon! Kudos to you and your wife!
FYI, check out this "Official High WAF Acoustical Treatment" thread...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1047573

You two should be cross-posting to one another! :bowdown:

Alan, thanks. I checked out that thread, and yes, I’ll be posting a link to this thread over there, as I think he did an awesome job as well.

Now I am MORE bummed than ever I couldn't find the time to come see this last week. The room looks awesome, and I already know it sounds mind blowing :music:

GREAT GREAT job:rocker:

Scott, thanks and we missed you my friend. You could have seen it in all its glory.

Next time you’re in town, let’s plan some time to hook up.

An inspiration to us all:bowdown::D

25 traps eh

Well, there's 25 traps from RealTraps + 2 RPG bass traps + 4 RPG skyline Diffusors plus 2 4" DIY traps plus 6 2" DIY traps.

Oh, and 14' x 2 of lateral custom treatments.

Maybe the room has about enough treatments now ;)

Still need to hang some stuff from the ceiling that's included in the counts above. It's never over it seems.

Simply incredible! Well done Jonathan (and wife)!

Thanks, it was fun to do. Glad eveyone like the results, we sure do. :cool:

Wow!! Excellent job Jonathan. :bowdown: When is the open house going to be?:D

Glen

Glen, I'm thinking of planning a Southeast get together for September.
But if you'd like to drop by some weekend, just PM me and we can see if there is time that works for both of us.

From ML website:

"True dipole speakers, such as electrostatic panels, have long been noted for their near-ideal radiation patterns. They send very little sound to the sides, thereby minimizing side-wall reflections with short arrival times that tend to interfere with perception of the direct sound. Their strong rear radiation, however, produces a generous amount of ambience-enriching later-arriving reflections off the wall behind them."

Care to comment?

JonFo, my guess is that most of the acoustic energy these traps absorb is below 100Hz, where the panel dispersion pattern is irrelevant.
Don't your measurements support this guess?

While it is true that dipoles radiate very little mid and high-frequency laterally, due to their equal volume rear radiation pattern, that rear wave will travel, hit the wall, ricochet at an angle (assuming you have them toed in a bit), bounce off the side wall, then mix it up in the room.

It’s the control of the rear wave that is the primary reason why I covered the forward 2/3 rds of the room length along the side wall to the front wall. Those reflections are pretty well damped now ;)

So while many people want the added ‘ambiance’ the rear wave reflections can provide, they are slightly less accurate (comb filtering is obvious) and they do not image as well for multichannel.

And since I do 98% of my listening in multichannel (thanks to a great center), I rather prefer the more focused results that dampening the rear wave and associated side wall reflections provide.

As JohnA correctly notes, much of the reason for traps along side walls is not just first reflection or high-frequency management but generalized bass trapping. And since frequencies below 300Hz are increasingly omnidirectional, the traps need to go where the room modes are. And unfortunately, when it comes to low-frequencies, they appear all over the place.

The system is still plenty bright, but it has an extra layer of articulation that was not there before. Some of that is the new preamp and Audyssey EQ, some of it is the new treatments.

The room is not quite done acoustically, as I have yet to hang about 8 or so traps from the ceiling.

That will further manage certain modes and get me as close as I think is realistic to making this room the best it can be.

Last edited:
Actually, Jonathan, I think that ML quote is a bit naughty in the sense that they can't have it both ways - no side wall reflections? I say that isn't true due to the curvelinear panels - they will literally fire directly into the side walls.

So there's more than one reason why side wall damping is necessary.

Latest posts

Back