Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Room treatments – part 2

One of the goals was to have these panels ‘glow’ with colored light in a nice even diffuse way. This turned out to be a bit of a challenge (and one of the reasons for the delays in these posts) to get the right materials that would be both diffusive enough and acoustically correct.

The mounts for the panels have fluorescent light mounted in them. The tubes for the fluorescent lights are sheathed in a colored polycarbonate ‘filter’ that give either Purple or a pleasing Blue. But just naked behind the panels, one sees the bulb, not the ‘glow’ we were looking for. So we experimented with many materials, finally settling on an eighth of an inch thick white felt material that is available in widths and lengths suitable for the project. Then it’s just cut to size, spray some light fabric adhesive on the back side of the panel, and presto, a panel with built-in diffuser
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Jonathan

System #45 (Monolith IIIx, Sequell IIb, SL3XC)

So, that’s it folks. It was a heck of a lot of work, and some coin as well, but the results both look wonderful and perform to expectations.

The room is now more neutral than ever from a resonance standpoint and I feel this is what a large set of ML’s need in a room of these proportions.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by JonFo; 07-20-2008 at 07:33 PM.
    Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by JonFo View Post
    The coolest thing is that it now looks like there are 9 large ESL panels in the room
    I was gonna say before I read this - "those panels look so real they look like they should be working"!!
    Marantz 8300 SACD / Squeezebox Touch --> Audiolab M-DAC --> Copland CTA-305 --> Classι CA-101 --> MartinLogan Vista / Behringer DEQ2496 --> Whise Profunder sub

Click here to see my system

Yup - been watching as you've been posting this - just awesome!

The obvious question is what is the effect sonically... besides just looking completely awesome.

You have now created the ultimate chill out room. And to think I put my used Ascent panels on ebay only a few months ago... with a little lateral thought I COULD have done something similar to this, on a smaller scale.

There is some pretty creative and solid thinking behind all that JonFo, and this is just an awesome post. 100% full marks for effort! Top job on diffusing the lighting too.

One can't help wonder what it would sound like if the wall mounted panels were active! Probably a mess for music but for HT it would follow the ploy of our local cinemas i.e. loads of speakers up the side walls. I'd guess you'd need a lot of absorbtion behind each panels due to wall proximity etc... just a thought not to be taken too seriously.

Excellent.

Money well spent in the persuit of sonic nirvana, escape from reality, idiotic politics and the hardships of modern day living. Enjoy it. I am sure you will.

Justin
    Last edited by User211; 07-20-2008 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    The obvious question is what is the effect sonically... besides just looking completely awesome.

You have now created the ultimate chill out room. And to think I put my used Ascent panels on ebay only a few months ago... with a little lateral thought I COULD have done something similar to this, on a smaller scale.

There is some pretty creative and solid thinking behind all that JonFo, and this is just an awesome post. 100% full marks for effort! Top job on diffusing the lighting too.

Excellent.

Justin
    Thanks Justin, really appreciate it.

I'll be posting full measuremnts and other objective data next week. I'll throw in some opinion in for good measure as well
    Jonathan

Super User

JonFo,

Congrats on the coolist DIY project I've seen on this site! Not just this latest project but the whole evolution of your Theater of Eden. And thank you for sharing all these great photos letting us in on exactly how your goal was achieved... My Gabber is Flasted!!!

Satch

I'm pretty touched by it actually - just been explaining it to my wife who reckons we're all sad and need to get out more! She's probably right

I just think it's nice to know there are some fellow nutcases out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Satch View Post
    JonFo,

Congrats on the coolist DIY project I've seen on this site! Not just this latest project but the whole evolution of your Theater of Eden. And thank you for sharing all these great photos letting us in on exactly how your goal was achieved... My Gabber is Flasted!!!

Satch
    Satch, thanks very much, and that's with pictures that absolutely do not do justice to the look of the room.

I really need to get a pro in here with a good D-SLR and some lights.
    Jonathan

I'm pretty touched by it actually - just been explaining it to my wife who reckons we're all sad and need to get out more! She's probably right

I just think it's nice to know there are some fellow nutcases out there!

Did you tell her my wife participated significantly (see the linked thread on the acoustic treatments)?

It is so much better when the couple does things together. I'm just lucky my wife is just as big a nutcase as I am (she's a Vet / Artist, with emphasis on artist
    Jonathan

And to think I put my used Ascent panels on ebay only a few months ago...

Well, with all the effort Jon explains in pulling them apart, I'd think it would be easier to simply ask ML if they'll sell you some curved metal with holes punched in it. ie. the raw material. I'm sure that wouldn't be too expensive!
    Marantz 8300 SACD / Squeezebox Touch --> Audiolab M-DAC --> Copland CTA-305 --> Classι CA-101 --> MartinLogan Vista / Behringer DEQ2496 --> Whise Profunder sub

Click here to see my system

Did you tell her my wife participated significantly (see the linked thread on the acoustic treatments)?

It is so much better when the couple does things together. I'm just lucky my wife is just as big a nutcase as I am (she's a Vet / Artist, with emphasis on artist
    Jon,

Congratulations on a real pro-job. Awesome.

But how does one go about looking for a partner like yours? I consider that as the first step when embarking on such a project. Maybe you should open another thread on this - a prequel.
    Ben
    System # 165 : Summit/Descent i/Stage/Passage

Actually, she is always supportive, and if I listened to her, I would have spent far more on hi-fi than I already have done.

BTW: she's into fashion and works for http://www.mulberry.com/

amey01 - after further thought, I wouldn't copy Jon's work - it wouldn't be cool! My scheme would have some cunning variations....

Very slick Jonathon! Kudos to you and your wife!
    FYI, check out this "Official High WAF Acoustical Treatment" thread...
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1047573

You two should be cross-posting to one another!
    Squeezebox Touch/Bel Canto DAC 3.5VB + Oppo BDP-95 > Conrad-Johnson CT5 preamp and Premier 350 amp > ML Expressions 13A. Dual ML BalancedForce 210 subs. Audience Au24e I/C's, speaker cable.
    Click here to see my entire sytem. Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society.

An inspiration to us all

25 traps eh
    max-boost
    Rega Planet > Musical Fidelity A324 DAC > MF A3CR pre > 4 x XA200 > SL3

Subs: 500w 2x12" and 1300w 18" via two Behringer FBQ2496s (one deals with the ML bass units)

Default Paradise

Now I am MORE bummed than ever I couldn't find the time to come see this last week. The room looks awesome, and I already know it sounds mind blowing

GREAT GREAT job