ipod touch vs squeezebox

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok, I was not in the USAF and I am also lost here. Just fired my system up and would like to expand it with a squeezebox but the idea of the IPT intrigues me.

AirTunes is a squeebox kind of solution from Apple. Basically you connect the AirTunes wireless station to your home theater receiver. You install the itunes software on your PC and start to stream the music (or video) using the iTunes software - over wireless. The airtunes station would receive this and send the signals to your home theater receiver.

All the above would work without ipod touch (IPT) also. If you have IPT then advantage is it can work as a remote. IPT can communicate with the iTunes on your PC and you can control what is being played. This works especially useful if your PC happens to be in a different room or far from your sitting place.

Ok, I did it. I went out and got an IPT and the aTV. Connected the aTV to my DAC and I am using the IPT to control the music on the aTV via the remote application when I need music for background. Checked the quality of the sound and it is cleary less than a CD (even if I used the loosless format).
Now I am struggling to use the remote to stream RADIO from internet. I know that someone in the thread said it worked out. Does anyone know what to do? thanks

Ok, I did it. I went out and got an IPT and the aTV. Connected the aTV to my DAC and I am using the IPT to control the music on the aTV via the remote application when I need music for background. Checked the quality of the sound and it is cleary less than a CD (even if I used the loosless format).
Now I am struggling to use the remote to stream RADIO from internet. I know that someone in the thread said it worked out. Does anyone know what to do? thanks

get the nullriver tuner app for the touch it seems to be the defacto standard, although it doesn't support the streams that i want.

get the nullriver tuner app for the touch it seems to be the defacto standard, although it doesn't support the streams that i want.

thanks, got it but I am still not able to stream it via the aTV to the DAC. Am I missing somehing? :confused:

calling all tech-ies questions galore!

im pretty tech savy...but some times i feel i need to confirm my thoughts with others:
1) do i need to itunes to use an ipod touch (IPT) as a rremote?
-isnt there a remote branded by sling box that has a screen and controls etc.? this could work the same way as the IPT?
- are there any apps for the IPT (or any other similar type remote system/interface) that can control video? entire desktop for other file access features via remote?

2) Are there apps for other PMPs/Phones/DAPs like cowon http://www.cowonglobal.com/ click on PMP under products, and there is a list of 3 on the rightonce you click on PMP. Palm (the new treo pro is looking nice http://www.palm.com/us/products/smartphones/treopro/index.html), Ultraportable lappy [which i have already (asus Eee PC 1000 http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=24&l2=164&l3=0&l4=0&model=2284&modelmenu=1) currently still running linux, but i am serious considering install XP, so the cost would be software only]?

3) Im looking at the Thecus M3800 http://www.thecus.com/products_over.php?cid=23&pid=55 which is a media center NAS (network attached storage). I would use an external DAC (which will be a bit of research on DACS on my part, haha). The M3800 isnt stateside yet, but i did grab an english manual from a tech overseas someplace.
- From what i can tell, i wouldnt need an SB...but i then wonder how i could use remote features an IPt/cell phone'/SB remote(?)/laptop-this is my least fav choice...my Asus is small...but still could easily get awkward after awhile...althouggh how many remotes have 10" screens...?
- would it be a good idea to use a SB of some sort to get full remote features? How would someone do this? would i load the SB software on the M3800?
- also to note...i could use the M3800 as an itunes server...as you might have noticed, itunes is not my favorite.
- i could email anyone the manual if the wanted it.

phew...okay so maybe ill find someone who knows these answers or curious enough themselves to look into how these other compnents shake hands with eachother (a weakness of mine:eek:)

help will be appreciated!!!:bowdown:

~greg

Latest posts

Back