Custom Search
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ipod touch vs squeezebox

Default ipod touch vs squeezebox

i've been thinking of getting a squeezebox to well, you know, play downloaded music and radio stations. mostly radio actually, i'd leave CDs to the player and downloaded music and on my ipod touch plugged into the Wadia when they finally arrive. feed both into my Meitner bitstream and Lance is a digitally happy kind of guy for the 2 channel system.

and then i upgrade the ipod touch to 2.0 last night. and start downloading apps. like the internet radio player. and the itunes remote control. suddenly the squeezebox became the "squeezed-out box". hmmmm.

the internet radio tuner (there are a couple available) just filled in what i thought was the biggest hole in the ipod touch's media capabilities. combined with the wadia station, this is bound to be one good sounding setup.

for those with a PC hooked into the system, the itunes remote allows your ipod touch to control itunes over wifi. so if you have a HTPC and have itunes running part or all of your media, then you just got yourself a remote control for the HTPC.
    CLS system here.

walk gently. leave a good impression.

This is exactly the reason I bought an Itouch. I control my PC with itunes via the touch and stream it via Airtunes to my home theater setup. Works great. The flexibility is great--I can control my music from anywhere in the house. Your whole media collection is at your fingertips. I really contemplated the Sqeezebox solution, but it just doesn't have the capability or flexibility that the touch and WiFi give you. I'm gonna have to get 2.0 software. I didn't realize the remote app was finally out. I have been using a 3rd party tool from alloysoft.com called Signal. It works well.

Are you using Airtunes to stream or is your PC directly connected to your DAC.

It sounds like the Meitner is a dedicated DAC. Are you happy with it. How does it compare to Benchmark?
    -ML Vantage, Stage, Helos 20, Depth-i System #203
    -Cary Cinema 12
    -Cary Cinema 7.125
    -Pioneer PRO-151FD 60" Plasma
    -Signal Cable/Blue Jeans interconnects. OregonDV 1.5" Spikes

i don't have a HTPC set up yet, and i'm not sure i want a PC in the entertainment center. sure the blu-ray player is a linux box, but putting a PC into the middle of things? hmmmm. and i can't find a decent digital out card for a PC that i like/afford/whatever yet.

i think that i'm going to stick with a CD for CDs and the Touch for itune podcasts/downloads and now radio. oh - and the 2.0 upgrade includes some nice upgrades to email and stuff. but the apps - lots (including remote) are free.

i like all of the meitner stuff (ask around ), the bitstream is a good DAC - it's no BiDAT (which is his legendary one still selling for 1000's a decade after production) - but it's a still a good DAC
    CLS system here.

you can use this to control your squeezebox too, so don't get rid of it just yet, Zaphod...

I'm gonna upgrade my IPT tonight and start messing with this... from what I read on slimserver forums, it looks like a plugin to the slimserver software and an addon to your IPT and that's it!!

or am I missing something?
    Tom D'Acquisto
    MartinLoganOwners.com owner/operator
    ML Owner since 1988 (Sequels, reQuests, and now Summits!)
    CL
    ick HERE to see my system.

Click here to see how you can help support this site!

Quote Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
    i don't have a HTPC set up yet, and i'm not sure i want a PC in the entertainment center. sure the blu-ray player is a linux box, but putting a PC into the middle of things? hmmmm. and i can't find a decent digital out card for a PC that i like/afford/whatever yet.

i think that i'm going to stick with a CD for CDs and the Touch for itune podcasts/downloads and now radio. oh - and the 2.0 upgrade includes some nice upgrades to email and stuff. but the apps - lots (including remote) are free.

i like all of the meitner stuff (ask around ), the bitstream is a good DAC - it's no BiDAT (which is his legendary one still selling for 1000's a decade after production) - but it's a still a good DAC
    The beauty of using Airtunes to stream is that you don't need the PC in your entertainment center--at least for music anyway. It can sit in the office. Granted, I still pull out the CD for serious listening, but it's very convenient for background or entertaining.
    -Cary Cinema 12
    -Cary Cinema 7.125

Quote Originally Posted by TomDac View Post
    you can use this to control your squeezebox too, so don't get rid of it just yet, Zaphod...

I'm gonna upgrade my IPT tonight and start messing with this... from what I read on slimserver forums, it looks like a plugin to the slimserver software and an addon to your IPT and that's it!!

or am I missing something?
    dunno, i was holding off on the squeezebox until the wadia came out. one big purchase is easier to rationalize than two little ones. and with me getting married in November, i've got to respect the other name on the bank account.

the IPT upgrade is dead easy, but does take some time. based on what i read about interruptions in the middle of the upgrade i chose to download-only the upgrade first, and then i applied it. you might consider that.

it's getting complicated in the configuration choices. do i attach a PC to the system and do everything in itunes - controlling via the touch, or do i attach a squeezer via the DAC and control it with the touch? or do i just plug in the touch via the DAC and do everything there except hard media (reels, vinyl, CDs).

the mind boggles.
    CLS system here.

since I already have a squeezebox, I've upgraded my IPT to 2.0 and will get the iPeng plugin for SqueezeCenter which will then allow me to control my Squeezebox using my IPT . sounds pretty cool.. now I don't have to squint to see the display on the SB... sweet!
    Last edited by TomDac; 07-15-2008 at 03:06 PM.
    Tom D'Acquisto
    CL

How does AirTunes work?
    Marantz 8300 SACD / Squeezebox Touch --> Audiolab M-DAC --> Copland CTA-305 --> Classé CA-101 --> MartinLogan Vista / Behringer DSP1124P --> Whise Profunder sub

Click here to see my system

I downloaded the iPeng plugin for SqueezeCenter and then fired up my iPod Touch and navigated to the SqueezeCenter and WOW!!

AMAZING! I can control EVERYTHING about my squeezebox from my IPT!!!

You guys who have a SB and an IPT need to get this!!

The only thing is that you have to have the 2.0 version of the IPT software, which is 10 bucks. Everything else is FREE.

Zaphod, download the SqueezeCenter software and SoftSqueeze, which emulates a squeezebox and get this up and running so you can play with it! No money outlay and you can see how it all works. It's really cool!
    Last edited by TomDac; 07-15-2008 at 06:06 PM.
    Tom D'Acquisto
    CL

I spent 29 years in the USAF and still work with the military but you guys lost me on these acronymns. Can you decode the following?

HTPC
    IPT
    SB = Squeezebox
    AirTunes
    BiDAT

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I spent 29 years in the USAF and still work with the military but you guys lost me on these acronymns. Can you decode the following?
    HTPC = Home Theatre Personal Computer
    IPT = iPod Touch
    SB = Squeezebox
    AirTunes = I asked the same question........Some Apple streaming protocol I would assume. Some method to take music from an iTunes library to a digital or analogue output perhaps?
    BiDAT = A model of Meitner DAC?
    Marantz 8300 SACD / Squeezebox Touch --> Audiolab M-DAC --> Copland CTA-305 --> Classé CA-101 --> MartinLogan Vista / Behringer DSP1124P --> Whise Profunder sub

Click here to see my system

Quote Originally Posted by amey01 View Post
    HTPC = Home Theatre Personal Computer
    IPT = iPod Touch
    SB = Squeezebox
    AirTunes = I asked the same question........Some Apple streaming protocol I would assume. Some method to take music from an iTunes library to a digital or analogue output perhaps?
    Let me see if I can help with Airtunes. Yeah it's a streaming protocol by Apple. That being so, you have to buy their hardware of course, which is nothing more than a Wifi capable base station with analog and digital outputs (cost about $100). The Airtunes base station can connect to your local wireless network. Then using Itunes which you have installed on any PC also on your network, you can stream music to the base station. By connecting the base station to your preamp, you magically have your whole Itunes collection available at your command. The Itouch gives you the remote to operate Itunes so you don't have to mess with the PC at all. It's a little bit of a pain to configure the Airtunes wireless settings for PC's (I recommend connecting it to your network via its Ethernet port first).
    -Cary Cinema 12
    -Cary Cinema 7.125

Quote Originally Posted by amey01 View Post
    ed meitner put out a couple of DACs, all really good. the bitstream, the iDAT-44 and the smaller "baby" iDAT-44 or "BiDAT". this last one seems to have become the DAC of choice for museatex (ed's old company) fans.

interestingly, the digital control center (DCC) as a pre with all digital inputs (plus tape loop) and when used as a DAC sits in between the bitstream and iDAT, but usually goes for only a few hundred on ebay or other sites.
    CLS system here.

Quote Originally Posted by TomDac View Post
    Zaphod, download the SqueezeCenter software and SoftSqueeze, which emulates a squeezebox and get this up and running so you can play with it! No money outlay and you can see how it all works. It's really cool!
    definately, i am going to have to do that.

i loaded up some of the radio players last night on the touch and was less than impressed. they sounded, well muffled. sure, the 'phones i happened to be using were horrid, but this sounded worse than youtube over the same 'phones.

as binkley would say - blech.
    CLS system here.

I was considering the new Wadia iPod dock. However, i can access both my iTunes library and FLAC files through my SB3 and control it with my SB3 remote. Therefore, what would I gain by adding an iPod dock that I don't already have?