CLS's for HT?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad225

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
The thought of using my CLSIIz's for front L & R in our HT feels like I would be committing some type of mortal sin. I am currently using my SL3's for this application and CLS's just for 2 channel listening.

I have been trying to convince my wife that we should remove the large cabinet I built for her a few years ago to hide the center channel, 60" TV and electronics in the name of better music listening.

I had resigned my self to keeping this configuration until we build a new home at which time we would have room for what I am look for.

This weekend while we were watching a movie and without any previously suggestions in a few weeks by me she said " If we take the cabinet out of here how would you position all of the equipment".

I could move most of the HT related equipment 6 or 7 pieces to an adjacent room leaving only CLS's, SL3's, 2 amps, preamp, CDP and 2 subs at the front of the room.

I am considering offering (if it would help close the deal) to remove the SL3's from the mix and put them in storage until we build expanded living space so the room will look a bit less cluttered.

Have any of you that have CLS's used them for HT?

Would the rest of here use CLS's for HT if it would mean possibly a great improvement in your 2 channel listening?

I wouldn't mind seeing the room less cluttered by removing the SL3's if there isn't a reason to not use the CLS's for this. I installed new panels in them in 2007 if this matters?

I am leaning toward making the change and if the CLS's don't work out see about bringing the SL3's back in to the room.

What would you do in this situation for the sake of your 2 channel listening?

The old picture below shows the size of the cabinet between speakers. Equipment has changed and there are 11 more acoustic panels than in room than shown.

Attachments

• CLS stands 023 (Large).jpg
    CLS stands 023 (Large).jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 220
Although it would feel a bit blasphemous ;) I'd probably give it a go and see how it works out. If the improvement in your two-channel listening is that great, it might be worth the sacrifice. You can always go back to the old configuration if the benefits aren't as great as you thought they'd be.

I don't have any reason why they would not work.

I have never seen anyone use them for that.

I know this makes no sense but it seems kind of irreverent to them to use them for HT.

I think I'm in love.

I have not seen anything inanimate that beautiful in a while. I personally think CLS is overkill for HT. Certainly, if it floats your boat go right ahead.

Well........... I for one use my CLS's for both and I have no complaints at all. I even moved my Sequel II's to the rear. Yes I know it may be overkill but it sounds good to me and I do not have a big room.

Me likes it!!

Jeff:cool:

CLS for home theater

I have used them for movies in the past.I personally would recommend that you run them in small to send the low bass to the LFE channel.I believe this will allow more volume if needed without destroying the panels.

Brad,
I hope you'll appreciate my honest room acoustic/aesthetic suggestions.
I've been in your house, heard your setup and have seen your cabinet. I'm envious of your plot of land there. Really nice! The equipment is top notch and the sound of your CLSs are excellent. I'm not going say the cabinet is the monolith from "2001 Space Odyssey" but it is an imposing room focal point. I'm sure if you remove that cabinet from the room you and your wife wouldn't miss it. The cabinet is very imposing on the room but the woodworking is excellent. My wife looked at the picture and agreed. I also think it is holding back your CLSs from their full sonic potential.

Of course, you'll need something to support the electronics, the center speaker and large TV. One option is to buy or make (you're good with wood) a smaller credenza for the electronics and place that on the side of the room with long enough XLR cables to your AR amps. Or place the low credenza behind/between the CLSs with the TV set on top. You could also go to one of the newer flat screen TVs mounted on a stand with your center channel on a stand below that. You could paint the new audio stands/rack to match your room color and blend in with room or use wood to match your CLS's.

Any of these options will look good in the room and make accessing your gear a more enjoyable experience.

Audio/Video equipment that is nicely support, organized and well laid out enhance a room's decor in my opinion. However, being a guy, I prefer "man cave" rooms anyway .

I started building my HT system with a large wall unit to house all the gear and it did not take very long before I really hated that piece of furniture. It was always a pain to make the interconnections and it drove me nuts knowing how much it killed the imaging and soundstage. I finally got rid of it and replaced it with a salamander walnut credenza. It not only looked better, but the room was larger with the wall unit gone. And the Salamander credenza cost much less than the wall unit.

The trend towards thin flat screen televisions have significantly changed the living room furniture market over the last 3 years. You don't find many wall units in furniture stores anymore.

By the way, where is your new LS-26 preamp? I thought you sold the preamp in your picture or is that an older photo? Also...why not use your SL3s for rear surrounds?

Last edited:
I tried using CLS's for a mixed theater-music setup, but found that the mid-bass "hole" on the CLS became much more apparent when trying to listen to movies. They lost their impact, even with a pair of subs. When I first hooked them up they sounded great, wonderful dialog, but after a while I noticed more and more that the impact and weight that is so important in movies was missing. I replaced the CLS's with a pair of ReQuests and they were much better suited to the dual duty.

While the CLS's had that Stat magic, they really are not a speaker with "impact", more of a vocal speaker. This isn't a big deal on music, but on theater it is.

Thanks for the input Craig and others. There is no doubt the cabinet it over powering for the room and sound stage. I think the 2001 monolith comparison is a fairly accurate one. It was a unanimous decision that the cabinet had to go when Craig, Alan (Sleepy Surf) and George (Rampage) came over to hear my system.

When I built it to hide TV and equipment it went in a 19' x 32' family room with 15' ceilings that was certainly more in proportions with its size. When we moved to a rural setting from the city it was a much smaller house and I think trying to fit belongings we were comfortable with into it rather that storing all of them was clearly an emotional/comfort issue.

It is interesting though after living in a smaller space for
2-3 years we clearly have a different perception (both in agreement) of how much space we really need to be comfortable. I haven't yet convinced Donna that a 1 bedroom 1 1/2 bath house with dinning room, family room and a 1200 sq. ft. music/TV/Game room is the way to go but I'm still working on it.

If we so move the cabinet out of the TV room it will go into storage or our office until the house is built. I'm sure you would agree Craig, there would not be any other room in the existing house to put it.

I don't have a problem with it going away until we have another space for it. I would envision it going into a family room or bedroom with a TV of some kind inside it again once is revived. Donna just prefers not having to look at a big monitor setting in the room and I can appreciate that especially if it's out in the main living area.

If we make this transition I would have the the TV back closer to the wall and work out where to put the Cinema center in relation to the mains. A single rack with the CDP and Preamp is the only other equipment I would hopefully put in between the speakers on a low rack. I would leave amps on stands on the floor and move the subs out further from the walls to behind the CLS's. I will need to add more acoustic panels to cover the TV for music if this happens.

I connected the CLS's to the HT setup last night and with minimal listening time and only minor adjustments to the processor I would have to agree with jjcarr at this point they have a larger presents but they lack the punch of the SL3's. I will try some more adjustments as time goes by but I would be willing to give up some HT sound for better 2 channel sound.

Add punch by raising the crossover for HT

You may find your added punch by simply raising the crossover to 80 or 100hz for movies and running the front speakers in small.The lack of midrange punch should come back to more than an acceptable level.I tend to listen to movies rather loud and alleviate my speakers from the HT torture by using the higher crossover.I firmly believe that you have a sub or subs for this reason.Hopefully you will find a happy medium.Good luck.

Latest posts

Back