Shipping Summits to Big T...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
OK, so I'm sending my beloved Summits to our own Mr. Prez...

What's the best way?

Obviously we're going to go freight, but which company do you fellas know about/trust/use?

I'd prefer if they came to my condo (residential) and did a pick up also... know any that do that?

Bax? Yellow? Overnite? Fedex Freight?

Thanks again!

Joey

OK, so I'm sending my beloved Summits to our own Mr. Prez...

What's the best way?

Obviously we're going to go freight, but which company do you fellas know about/trust/use?

I'd prefer if they came to my condo (residential) and did a pick up also... know any that do that?

Bax? Yellow? Overnite? Fedex Freight?

Thanks again!

Joey

Check this one out http://www.usfc.com/ltl/home/reddaway.jsp

I just got my summits throught them. They really take care of your equipment.

Mike

Last edited:
Joey -
My experience: Long ago I sold my Sequels through this website. I contacted UPS for shipping. The volume of the containers and their weight was just within the limits that they posted on the website. When the delivery guy got here, he said the boxes were too big to load onto his truck. I had to do the loading for him! When they arrived at their destination, the cartons were bashed in and I was told by the buyer that there was a big dent in one woofer. Fortunately, he was able to restore that woofer to its non-dented condition. Moral? Don't use UPS to ship MLs!

Joey -
My experience: Long ago I sold my Sequels through this website. I contacted UPS for shipping. The volume of the containers and their weight was just within the limits that they posted on the website. When the delivery guy got here, he said the boxes were too big to load onto his truck. I had to do the loading for him! When they arrived at their destination, the cartons were bashed in and I was told by the buyer that there was a big dent in one woofer. Fortunately, he was able to restore that woofer to its non-dented condition. Moral? Don't use UPS to ship MLs!

Sequels are much larger than the Summits..... but no UPS, got it.

Make sure you strap them to a pallet and then they have to be fork lifted not bashed by a man dropping the corner. Ship them freight. SIA, Ocean Air, It realy don't matter if you insure them for the value as they get real careful when you insure them for over $5k. I shipped my Krell KPS 25sc in a wood crate with UPS freight and it came back Fed X freight . Its fine. They have a different division for the big money freight stuff. Anyway you look at it its a risk ! Good Luck !

Congrats Tom!

I sent mine to Milwaukee two weeks ago, fed ex ground...

178 bucks each, insured for 6 grand each.

Used the standard cartons with some extra 3" Styrofoam from home depot.

Fed Ex Freight would have been almost 800 bucks.

My monoliths came to me via Roadway for $400.00 total. It worked out well.

Joey are you done with the Summits? Whats up?

I sent mine to Milwaukee two weeks ago, fed ex ground...

Used the standard cartons with some extra 3" Styrofoam from home depot.

Fed Ex Freight would have been almost 800 bucks.

$800??? Man... that's a steep price.

I'm hoping my freight costs dont go above $500.

My monoliths came to me via Roadway for $400.00 total. It worked out well.

Joey are you done with the Summits? Whats up?

Done done for now, Cher. Working on a smaller system for now.

Joey,
Insuring for a high dollar amount is the key.
This will almost gaurentee they'll take good care of the package.

Another Yes vote for FedEx
And No vote for UPS

First off, I'm jealous, and I want them :D
Now, I used Roadway to get my Odysseys to me as they were too large for any other carrier except freight carriers. Roadway strapped them down and placed them on a pallet and I can't remember what I had the dealer do as far as the number they used to describe them. I want to say like 80 or something like that. The freight class will determine how careful they are. 100 is the most but costs a ton. I got my Odysseys shipped to me for ~350 I want to say from them.
My Ascents made it to me on FedEx Express. Somehow they squeezed them in. I didn't have any problems with them either, but I would go roadway as they really took care of them. The speakers arrived at my place on the trailer, and it was completely isolated from everything else on the truck. They did a great job, and even had me open one box there on the truck to ensure everything was as it should be.

Joey,

Now that you will not have a system maybe you can spend some time helping with the site....the product timeline section. :D This way you still stay in the loop.

Tom would probably like that as well.

Joey,

Now that you will not have a system maybe you can spend some time helping with the site....the product timeline section. :D This way you still stay in the loop.

Tom would probably like that as well.

LOL! Tom would like that! He's been trying to get someone to do so for the past couple of years now... :D:D

Roadway, Fedex..... alright.. no UPS.

Where's Ray and his DHL recommendation??

Guys,

It seems like every freight (major) company requires me to be part of a company with an account. Even the fedex freight required me to have a company account.

Are there any freights that deal with regular consumers?

Joey

Guys,

It seems like every freight (major) company requires me to be part of a company with an account. Even the fedex freight required me to have a company account.

Joey

Pilot Air

Tell them your company is Joey Industries

Lots of things changed after 9/11 with air freight.

Joey, some freight companies will not insure used items for high value no matter how well they are packed. They are as low as a nickel or dime per pound. New items may possibly be insured for full value. Make some inquires.

I was forced to use Yellow Freight earlier this year and could deal with them direct (not through a commercial business), but I gambled with $2,800.

Ok, Pops here, well after 34 years in the transportation business I can tell you this, ALL the afore mentioned answers are correct ! It really comes down to location and personel. But as Tom and Wayne said one key factor is the 5k insurance threshold, above that, TLC starts to set in.

Did you inquire with Jim Powers as who his favorite is when dealing with single shipment situations ?

Guys,

Joey

If you need you can use my company ( I own the company) Fedex account and send us a check.

If you need you can use my company ( I own the company) Fedex account and send us a check.

THANKS Jer! I will keep you in mind as my trump card in case nothing else comes up.....

Thanks a mil man... :bowdown::bowdown:

Joey -

Another avenue to consider. My mom is in the furniture (interior design) business. They ship (via Freight) big, expensive things all the time. Maybe you can see what shipping companies the furniture stores use?

Erik

Back