Used Market???

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockeratheart

Reaction score
I am a newbie to this site, and I'm totally feeling like I'm missing out on my chance to get ML's. I'm a teacher, and the summer is slim for income, and I'm not able to get into what I want for speakers (power amps too) until fall. Is the used market for ML's pretty consitent? Is this an up time, or a down time?

I guess I'm hoping that I'll have similary chances to get Ascents, requests, or the like when my budget permits. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ben :rolleyes:

Actually, I think this fall will be a good time to buy used MLs. With the introduction of several new models, there will be many who will be upgrading. This opens up lots of opportunity for those seeking used MLs to snap up deals from the upgraders.

I've never really tracked or noticed the time of year when used MLs sell more...

Obviously when they introduce a new model, people want to upgrade, so they'll be looking to off-load their current stuff...

I sympathize with your plight. On the eastern seaboard (Mid-Atlantic, anyway) we were paid throughout the year. I'd guess, after observing the ML scene for many years,) that seasons do not change prices of speakers as much as new models do. You might want to start small and as finances permit, move up the ladder. Trust me, it's worth it. I began with Sequel IIs, moved to Ascent Is and finally, Summits. A word of warning - all MLs benefit from the best electronics you can afford. Generally, cheap electronics wind up sounding even worse on highly revealing speakers. Good luck in your quest!

The price of Summits on Agon seem to be falling somewhat. I suspect this will put pressure on anyone selling Prodigy's

Now that the word is out about the SummitX upgrade path this may change somewhat.

I actually have been checking pretty regularly and the prices are the best they have been in quite a while. With the buzz around new models coming shortly and the way things are in the economy right now, it is a great time to buy (probably will be for a while).

Spring/Summer

In the North... (MN is in the North), I'd strongly believe that NOW is the best time to buy any stereo gear... We northerners only get a few months outdoors and our mind is just not on stereo gear as much this time of year. Way back in the 70s when I sold gear, the summer months were just about dead.. We had plenty of BBQs at the store during the day...

For instance, I have seen a couple nice pairs of upper end MLs selling for under $1K lately.. a pair of Odysseys and a pair of Sequels II. I think if you get away from ebay, you might find something good.. YMMV.

Why buy new when slightly used will do?

The used market has been a great place for me to dive into the Martin Logan products. You don't get a return policy, but if you shop smart you can continue to trade up for a while. A few grand per year and my system will continue to improve.

That being said, certain family members would prefer a big-bang every 10 years instead of constant change.

That being said, certain family members would prefer a big-bang every 10 years instead of constant change.

Amen to that. I'm seeing that it will be easier to go bigger once, than every year or two. That's fine with me, and used seems to be the way to go for me. I've been comforted by the reputation MartinLogan has, and I can swallow replacement parts once in a great while.

Ben

;)

Back