Just bought the Statement E2, need advice

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know if you're into tubes. Some will tell you there's an impedance mis-match between MLs and tubed amplifiers. I disagree. I use an ARC REF110 to amp my Summits. I get the kind of sound you describe in your post. I'd suggest auditioning either an ARC REF210 or 610t on your speakers. You just may find sonic bliss.

I am very intrigued by the ARC Ref 3 and the Ref 610 combo.

CC

When I see pictures of ML's displays at a sound show, they seem to be paired with McIntosh amps very frequently (every instance I can recall, at least). That's also what they used for the CLXs that TomDac had the chance to review in Kansas.

I'd be willing to bet that if you shot an email at Jim Power at MartinLogan you'd get a surprisingly useful response.

Do you think that Jim would make a recommendation or will he be "politically correct" and say they will all work well...

Will try him Monday. Thanks for the lead.

CC

When I see pictures of ML's displays at a sound show, they seem to be paired with McIntosh amps very frequently (every instance I can recall, at least). That's also what they used for the CLXs that TomDac had the chance to review in Kansas.

I'd be willing to bet that if you shot an email at Jim Power at MartinLogan you'd get a surprisingly useful response.

MotorToad,

I did not know that these 2 brands paired up so often. I have seen the Martin Logans paired up w Krells and Levinsons but not McIntosh. Good to know.

CC

Do you think that Jim would make a recommendation or will he be "politically correct" and say they will all work well...

Will try him Monday. Thanks for the lead.

CC

What made me think of asking him is that he's been around the store there in Kansas while they designed, tested, produced, and manufactured just about everything they've built since... well, ever. I would expect he'd have a clue as to what amps would have the juice and what might fall short. I can't think but expect that they had to go through the amplification end of the system while they went through production, so I'm sure they know of some stuff that works. :)

CC

The tubed C1000, that is sweet. I first heard the 501's with the 1000 and was hooked! I've tried running my cd right to the amps bypassing the pre but missed that little bit of tube that the 2200 has.

501's brought a completely different dimension to the Vantage compared to the 352 I originally was using. The seperation and imaging is in a league of its own.

While the Vantage was my first ML and we enjoy them, I find myself wanting more of the same if that is possible! My wife and I are considering bypassing the Spire and Summit and going directly to the CLX next year.

I do hope your able to contact Master lu/Ivan. He is a total McIntosh devotee and can give you an obviously biased opinion on the 2K's.

Gordon

I am very intrigued by the ARC Ref 3 and the Ref 610 combo.

CC

I have the Ref3 and 110 in my system. Also have the PH7 for phono purposes with a Sky-Blue Urushi Koetsu. Really like the sound. Where are you in the city? I'm in eastern Queens.

What do you plan to use for a preamp? Of course, the amplifiers are important to properly match with your speakers and tastes in sonic characteristics. But the preamp will of course have a significant influence on overall sound you get from your system. If you decide to go with MacIntosh amplification then a suitable match for that would be the C1000 Preamp. I haven't had the opportunity to audition the C1000 but its one I include on my list of contenders. It will at least afford you the option of tuning towards a tube or SS sound.

I'm currently using a pair of Electrocompaniet Nemo monoblocks on my Summits. It's an SS amp with more than enough power for these speakers and the sound is not dry at all even when an SS preamp is used. The tube amp/preamp combo still gives the most expansive soundstage that I've heard but the Nemos are the come the closest to doing it all. They have plenty of power and current but I wouldn't know if they would meet your requirements with the Statements.

A tube preamp/SS amp combo may be the way to go or is at least an option I'd consider.

Last edited:
Hi cchp, and welcome to the club.

I will say that given the level of investment and quality an e2 system represents, I'd recommend going with the most neutral and powerful amplifiers available, and then using pre-amps and other sources as the means to tune the 'sound' you want.

If the amps are 'coloring' the sound, or limiting the speakers, then not much you can do about it but change amps.

My recommendation would be for the Sanders kilowatt monoblock for the panels, Sanders monoblocks for the rest. That should pretty much guarantee you'll not run out of juice. Resulting in a speaker/amp system that will accurately reveal all that goes on upstream.

Also, with a system like that, I hope you plan on treating the room, as it can color the sound way more than any other component ever could. We have several threads here on acoustic treatments and would love to help if you have questions.

Cheers,

I got to hear the E2 at an invite demo at Sound Advice...GS was presiding and was an excellent speaker and host...demonstration used big monoblock Krells and the "speakers" sounded wonderful.

Was this the Boca demo where the system shut the store's power off? If so, I also was there.

What do you plan to use for a preamp? Of course, the amplifiers are important to properly match with your speakers and tastes in sonic characteristics. But the preamp will of course have a significant influence on overall sound you get from your system. If you decide to go with MacIntosh amplification then a suitable match for that would be the C1000 Preamp. I haven't had the opportunity to audition the C1000 but its one I include on my list of contenders. It will at least afford you the option of tuning towards a tube or SS sound.

I'm currently using a pair of Electrocompaniet Nemo monoblocks on my Summits. It's an SS amp with more than enough power for these speakers and the sound is not dry at all even when an SS preamp is used. The tube amp/preamp combo still gives the most expansive soundstage that I've heard but the Nemos are the come the closest to doing it all. They have plenty of power and current but I wouldn't know if they would meet your requirements with the Statements.

A tube preamp/SS amp combo may be the way to go or is at least an option I'd consider.

The Conrad-Johnson gear is definitely worth checking out.

CC

The tubed C1000, that is sweet. I first heard the 501's with the 1000 and was hooked! I've tried running my cd right to the amps bypassing the pre but missed that little bit of tube that the 2200 has.

501's brought a completely different dimension to the Vantage compared to the 352 I originally was using. The seperation and imaging is in a league of its own.

While the Vantage was my first ML and we enjoy them, I find myself wanting more of the same if that is possible! My wife and I are considering bypassing the Spire and Summit and going directly to the CLX next year.

I do hope your able to contact Master lu/Ivan. He is a total McIntosh devotee and can give you an obviously biased opinion on the 2K's.

Gordon

Gordon,

Tried but couldn't find Master Lu or the site you are referring to.

CC

The Conrad-Johnson gear is definitely worth checking out.

CCHP,

I love your dilemma! Myself, and I am sure most others here would love to be in your shoes. I recently demoed many amps for my Vantages - not quite at the level you are looking at, but just a notch or 2 below.

I love the sound of quality SS with Logans.

Sanders - great stuff, a bit thin midrange for my taste.
Levinson - too analytical, over details, ruins the listening experience
Ayre - great microdynamics, very fluid midrange. Monoblocks would be my choice, but too high price for me
McCintosh - great stuff, a bit mushy midrange for my taste, though
CJ 350 - My choice - very natural sound, closest to live music I have experienced at its price point.

You may like any of the above, though.
There is other great stuff to try: Lamm, Pass, BAT Monoblocks, Krell evo, others above.

Also, I would not bother contacting ML. They are too politically correct, and can't recommend any brand over another for obvious reasons.

In an ideal world, assuming adequate resources, I would look to buy used amps on Audiogon and A/B them against each other. Sell what you don't like.

Good Luck!

Please keep us posted!

I would add to the list either one of the Krell FPB amps - probably the 700cx or the 750cx mono blocks. Also worth adding the Evolution amps to the shortlist if budget permits.

I use the Arc Ref 3 with the Krell 700cx and am very very pleased with it. They are both highly recommended.

Marc.

I am considering the C1000

The Nemos would be great for the Summits

CCHP,

I love your dilemma! Myself, and I am sure most others here would love to be in your shoes. I recently demoed many amps for my Vantages - not quite at the level you are looking at, but just a notch or 2 below.

I love the sound of quality SS with Logans.

Sanders - great stuff, a bit thin midrange for my taste.
Levinson - too analytical, over details, ruins the listening experience
Ayre - great microdynamics, very fluid midrange. Monoblocks would be my choice, but too high price for me
McCintosh - great stuff, a bit mushy midrange for my taste, though
CJ 350 - My choice - very natural sound, closest to live music I have experienced at its price point.

You may like any of the above, though.
There is other great stuff to try: Lamm, Pass, BAT Monoblocks, Krell evo, others above.

Also, I would not bother contacting ML. They are too politically correct, and can't recommend any brand over another for obvious reasons.

In an ideal world, assuming adequate resources, I would look to buy used amps on Audiogon and A/B them against each other. Sell what you don't like.

Good Luck!

Please keep us posted!

The CJ is a great thought -- thanks

CC

I would add to the list either one of the Krell FPB amps - probably the 700cx or the 750cx mono blocks. Also worth adding the Evolution amps to the shortlist if budget permits.

I use the Arc Ref 3 with the Krell 700cx and am very very pleased with it. They are both highly recommended.

Marc.

Marc,

that is a very intriguing combination..the ARC and the Krell...how is the matching from an output/input impedance stanpoint

I love the sound of the ARC but worry about the reliability of its amps

CC

Marc,

that is a very intriguing combination..the ARC and the Krell...how is the matching from an output/input impedance stanpoint

I love the sound of the ARC but worry about the reliability of its amps

CC

There is no problem with the matching in terms of sensitivity. I love having the power of the Krell - and seeing it is Class A it has a tube warmth but with the real power of solid state.
The ARC Ref3 is just superb - everything from imaging, transparency, depth, you name it, it has got it in spades. It really is a magnificant preamp.

I use Transparent balanced cabling (reference level), which I feel combines the Krell, ARC and ML seemlessly.

Feel free to ask anymore questions!
Marc.

Back